DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Hemi
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:296
BlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the rough
Default for all you y pipe guys!!!!!!

well i stopped by a performance shop on my way to work today and told them i wanna replace my y-pipe with the magna #10778 and replace the piping with mandrel pipe. well price quote was $650!!!! i told them that guys on here go for like $150 and he was like, "any muffler shop can mandrel mend a pipe, they dont have TRUE mandrel pipe." the fab guy wanted to take off everything for my exhaust to make sure he gets a good clean tig weld and to ensure no leaks. so i said the hell with them, can you guys please explain "TRUE" mandrel pipe to me??
14" magnaflow with custom magna y-pipe, 8k heads and fogs, hella FF 500's, 5% tint all the way, 60" LED brake light, Smoked tails and 3rd, Ballistic Jesters in 275/55/20 zeon ltz, color matched handles/mirrors, painted calipers, L.E.D interior, debadged & Viper 5901, 180 t-stat
Sponsored links
Old 10-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Red
Rep:14
RedRam5.7 is on a distinguished road

The mandrel actually goes inside the tube and is held by a mandrel rod to support the tube at the tangent point of the bend. The mandrel is then extracted after the bend is complete.
Mandrel bending can create a bend much tighter than empty bending as well as improve the appearance of bend. Radii as tight as one times the diameter of the tube are possible, whereas with empty bending (bends without an internal mandrel) acceptable radii are usually two to three times the diameter. This is especially useful for automotive exhaust applications or when a fluid or gas is being flowed through a tube. Most chassis or frame tube bending applications do not require a mandrel and even though the bend may appear stronger the outer wall of the tube is actually stretched thinner by the mandrel bending process.
So i think the guy at the muffler shop feed you a bunch of bs. I hope this helps to better understand
Old 10-13-2011, 01:10 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Hemi
Trim Level: Lonestar
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:296
BlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the rough

wow thanks red, but im assuming either way, the different piping will be free-er flowing. in other words your saying that the mandrel goes inside the pipe and is pushed up against the bending part to prevent it from being pinched?
14" magnaflow with custom magna y-pipe, 8k heads and fogs, hella FF 500's, 5% tint all the way, 60" LED brake light, Smoked tails and 3rd, Ballistic Jesters in 275/55/20 zeon ltz, color matched handles/mirrors, painted calipers, L.E.D interior, debadged & Viper 5901, 180 t-stat
Old 10-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn, 5.7 hemi
Color: BRILLANT BLACK CREW CAB
Rep:172
FDBDW has a spectacular aura aboutFDBDW has a spectacular aura about

Im not sure about the 08s but it is worth checking out what kind of material is used in the stock exhaust. In the 4th gen trucks they used good SS piping in which case I told my exhaust guy to only remove and replace the portion that is crushed and the portion needed to replace the Y-pipe. I did not want to pay extra to have good SS piping to replace already good SS piping. It cost me about $140 to have my Y-pipe put in which included labor and the piping . Now the down side of my exhaust is that I dont have any shops near me that do mandrel bending so I had a shop cut and weld pre-mandrel bent tubing , so its a few mandrel bent pieces cut to fit together. Some day when I feel like going on a road trip , I will have a shop do that section as one whole piece, but only that section. So a short story long is , if you have good piping in there already , only have them replace the crushed portion, it shouldnt cost near $650, heck your could get an entire cat back sysmt for that.
MOPAR CAI , 14" MUFFLEX, Diablo Intune 91oct , 2.5" LEVEL, K2 OPEN BLACK MESH GRILLE, FRONT WINDOWS TINTED, ROCKSTARS ON 295/70/18 NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLERS, LARADO BED COVER, DEBADGED, GO RIHNO STEPS , RECON SMOKED TAIL & THIRD BRAKE LIGHTS , PAINTED HEADLIGHTS , SPEEDLOGIX CATCH CAN, FASTMAN PORTED TB ,

Last edited by FDBDW; 10-13-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:37 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

I've checked with a lot of muffler shops about mandrel bent pipes and they all say they don't have the equiptment because it's to expensive and most people won't pay to have pipes mandrel bent. Out of the 20+ shops here in Austin, none do mandrel bending.
IMHO for the purposes that most of us are using these trucks, I don't think you will ever be able to tell the difference between a crush bent and a mandrel bent pipe on your truck. If your running top fuel or pro stock it might be that critical, but for our 5k lbs trucks---na.
Jay

Last edited by Pull Ya; 10-13-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:47 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I think what the guy at the shop was describing as his version of mandrel bend was the "smooth" crushed bend (vs a "rippled" crush bend). That's why he said any shop can do it. There are few shops that can do real mandrel bends(as he calls them) and it is expensive. It does, however, make a difference, and depending on price is worth it. You can also buy the bends online, and bring them to them to weld in(be sure you get the right stuff). I'd talk to other shops and find someone willing to work with you and help you. In the end, on the street you may not notice a difference(not much anyway), but on the track you will.

Also, a great point was mentioned above, you should not use mandrel bends for structural applications as they ARE weaker at the outside corner(stretched). Good point

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:50 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:530
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Rather than re-typing in several threads I'm going to just cut and paste

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
A single crushed 90 bend can decrease flow by 20% , add up a number of bends and you just wasted your money by removing the pinched Y.
Here's my Magnaflow Y installed with 2 large smooth transition Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel sections (only $15 ea) supplied by my shop that does performance exhaust builds
and has a well stocked inventory or pre-bent mandrel pipe sections on hand. As soon as I asked for a quote on a Y swap they knew I wanted the mandrel bent pipe as well.

So about $60 in parts, ($27 for Y, $30 for Mandrel pipe)
and no more than $90 in labor = about $150 to get it done right.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP
Old 10-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011
Trim Level: Sport/Custom
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:32
Harleys BigRam is on a distinguished road

If you went to Ripleys then I wouldn't go back, that price is insane. Go over to CVT Mufflers on Roseland (near W Little York/Airline) and ask for John. They will put your Ypipe in for you without charging some ridiculous price like that. No mandrel (yet, they are looking into to getting one) but your really only need to replace the Y part and not all the piping. I'm going there this afternoon for them to install my DI DO magnaflow and finish my true dual exhaust. They have worked on 3 of my vehicles and do great work and they are good guys. Tell them Jason sent you for a $5 discount

Last edited by Harleys BigRam; 10-13-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:53 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^ I just want to say that I think you just happen to have a crazy inexpensive deal there. I don't think most places could get the job done for that price. I know the closest shop that has mandrel bends to me is in Miami, can't find anyone closer that's willing to do it. I can order the bends shipped to my door cheaper, even with the hefty shipping fees...I'd assume most places would run more than $150 for the job.

EDIT: This was in reply to BRH's post

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:25 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:530
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Shop around, everything in Canada is usually twice as much so I find it hard to believe no one is getting a better product/deal than me

Another option a bud of mine did ... $66 DIY clamp in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGRAM-10 View Post
no welding, just OD/ID mandrel bent exhaust elbows with stainless step clamps to clamp and seal the joints,
go here for the part #'s http://www.donaldson.com/index.html
4-2.5" stainless step clamps part# X007829
1-3" stainless step clamp part# X007830
1-45 degree exhaust elbow part# P206279
1-90 degree exhaust elbow part# P206339

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 10-13-2011 at 02:27 PM.