DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of
Default 545RFE transmission service step by step

I performed a transmission service on my truck last weekend, and thought I'd give my step by step. For reference my truck is a 2010 4.7L 2wd. The transmission in my truck is a 545RFE. The same transmission casing is used on the 45RFE, 5-45RFE, and 68RFE, so I assume this procedure is the same for these transmission as well, but check part numbers and fluid capacities. The 4.7L and the 5.7L HEMI use the same transmission, so it should also be the same filter part numbers for both engines. There are 2 filters in this transmission, the main sump filter, and a cooler return line filter(looks like an oil filter). Both filters are accessed after the trans pan is dropped.

Parts:
The main sump filter is different for 2wd and 4wd. The advanced auto 2wd part number is FK-330. The advanced auto 4wd part number is FK-319. This kit comes with a gasket and a round seal as well. I recommend not replacing the round seal, if not properly sealed, it will cause the transmission to burn up.

FK-330:

FK-319:

The cooler return line filter is the same part for both 2wd and 4wd trucks. The part number from advanced auto is FK-331.

FK-331:

Some transmissions do not use the gasket, they use RTV sealant(I believe you can use black or red/orange). Mine had black RTV from the factory, but I ended up just using the gasket for ease of cleaning in another 50k miles when I do the service again. The RTV should seal better I would think.

You will also need approximately 8 quarts of ATF 4+ transmission fluid. The converter plus transmission holds approximately 16 quarts(I think), but this service will change out about 6-8 quarts of the total. I used Castrol ATF 4+. There are many choices, and I have been told that basically all ATF 4+ trans fluid is the same. ATF 4+ transmission fluid is synthetic.

1) I jacked the front of my truck up about 6" or so using the crossmember under the engine, and also put two jack stands under that crossmember. I did this because my step bars hang low and I couldn't fit under them(too many beers in my belly). You may be able to do this without jacking up the truck if you don't have step bars(or don't drink beer). Make sure the parking brake is on and the wheels are blocked.
2) I laid a blanket under the transmission as there is no drain plug and it is messy to drain the fluid. Put a pan to catch the fluid under the transmission. Loosen all the transmission pan bolts(I think there are 15) the exhaust pipe was sort of in the way of two bolts on my truck, but with a wobble socket, wrench, and patience you can get them all. Do not completely remove the screws, just loosen them.
3) Use a large flat screwdriver or something similar to pry a corner of the pan loose, as soon as it comes loose the fluid will pour out, very messy. Drain the fluid this way, get as much as you can drained, then remove all the pan bolts and lower the pan down gently as there is still fluid in it.
4) At this point you can unscrew the cooler return line filter(can use an oil filter strap wrench) and install the new one. I got the new one as tight as I possibly could by hand.
5) The main sump filter is held on by a torx/star screw(can't remember what size). This was the hardest part for me as the exhaust pipe was directly in the was of the screw. I got the screw out by using a torx/star "bit" that goes in a drill and clamped it in some vice grips and was able to loosen the screw that way. After this screw is out, the filter is loose and just pulls out of the seal that it is pushed into. I recommend not replacing the seal, if you don't get it seated correctly it can burn up the transmission. Push the new filter into the seal(make sure it is pressed all the way in) then put back in the torx/star screw and make sure it is snug plus a half turn or so.
6) Use a clean lint free rag and possibly a flat head screwdriver or some sort of scraper to clean the gasket mating surface on the transmission. After this the transmission is ready to go.
7) Pull off the magnet out of the transmission pan(make not of it's location) and wipe it clean. Scrape/clean the gasket mating surface of the pan. I usually use some fine sand paper also afterwards to make sure it's clean. Clean the rest of the pan(can use brake parts cleaner). Reinstall the magnet.
8) If you are using the gasket, set it in place on the pan, and push the bolts through the pan and through the gasket, the gasket will hold them in place. You can then raise the pan into place and start threading each bolt. Get all the bolts hand tight then torque down in several steps going in a crisscross pattern. Torque to about 105 in lb.

If you are using RTV sealant, spread a bead of RTV around the entire pan and around all bolt holes then raise the pan into place and start threading each bolt. Get all the bolts snug then follow the directions on the RTV tube. They will probably say to let sit for so many minutes, then turn the bolts another turn or so, then wait so many hours to fill with fluid, then wait so many more hours to get hot.
9) Set the truck back on the ground and remove the wheel blocks. Add fluid until it shows up on the dipstick in the "safe" area. Start the engine and put into each gear, then into neutral(parking brake on tight). Check the fluid again, it will probably be low, keep adding fluid until it shows up in the safe area again. Run the transmission through R, N, D, P, and then back to N again, and keep repeating until the fluid level is correct.
10) Check for leaks, then take it for a drive. Check the fluid and for leaks often for a day or few days(check hot as well...it is more accurate...just make note hot on the dipstick I think means 180 deg, my trans almost never gets that hot, so it never gets to that level on the dipstick...just read the dipstick it will have info on it on what temps "cold" and "hot" are referring.. I ended up using about 7 quarts I think.

Notes: Be careful tightening any bolts into aluminum. Aluminum strips pretty easily. The two hardest parts of this procedure are draining the fluid as there is no drain plug, and getting that torx/star screw out. I think the HEMI has a slightly different exhaust routing and the torx/star screw isn't an issue. This service cost me a total of about $75.00 (2011 pricing for future viewers). That includes both filter kits, fluid, and brake parts cleaner. This is a pretty easy job, all basic tools most people have. The only tool some may not have is the torx/star bit or whatever it is. I used advanced auto because they seemed to have the part numbers figured out. I like auto zone and always use them but their computer system had it all screwed up...I perform this service about every 50k miles on all my vehicles.

Also, I'm told by multiple mechanics that it is bad to flush your transmission like some shops like to do. For one, you do not change the filters when you do this, and do not clean out the pan/magnet. Also, there is some reason that was explained to me that something like the fluid that breaks down on the friction discs or clutches or something is needed after time, and if you flush it out it causes slipping....or something like that.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 09-16-2011, 07:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: EXPRESS
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:32
BigRedHemi is on a distinguished road

Nice write up and thanks for sharing.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram Power Wagon
Trim Level: Power Wagon
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Nailhead is on a distinguished road

Excellent!
Old 09-18-2011, 02:52 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Hemi Sport
Color: Red
Rep:34
johnnyG is on a distinguished road

great write up.so you didnt use any anti slip additive or anything?
SC 3865, K&N CAI, Fastman TB, Magnaflow Y to 18", sonnax, Zeon LTZs, Bilstein HDs, LEDs everywhere, sylvania ZXE heads and fogs, shorty antenna, all aftermarket audio and subs, linex, ez down tailgate and lots and lots of love.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:49 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Thanks.

No, just plain castrol ATF 4+. I don't like additives, I've had more issues with additives and stop leaks etc.... than good results, in any use. The only things I use are seafoam and marvel mystery oil.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:47 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Hemi
Trim Level: Lonestar
Rep:296
BlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the rough

good job bro! about to turn 50k on my truck and thinking of doing a first service to the tranny, def following this prodecure. reps for it!
14" magnaflow with custom magna y-pipe, 8k heads and fogs, hella FF 500's, 5% tint all the way, 60" LED brake light, Smoked tails and 3rd, Ballistic Jesters in 275/55/20 zeon ltz, color matched handles/mirrors, painted calipers, L.E.D interior, debadged & Viper 5901, 180 t-stat
Old 09-19-2011, 01:11 PM

Thanks! It's a pretty straight forward service, may take a few hours but not that hard.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:16 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:184
ORT has a spectacular aura aboutORT has a spectacular aura about

Nice writeup man. Reminded me that it is time to do the change again on my truck.
Sidewinder Cam/Edge Converter/Pacesetter LT's/SCT&SC Stack/Hemifever Tune/BFI #32/20% UD Pulley/Fastman TB/Triple Pillar/1 TonCooler/Sonnax/E-Cutout/Venom Hood/SRT Bumper/Roll Pan/HID's/Aeroforce Wideband/E-Fan/Hellwig/2" Drop/170 Stat/D&S Rotors/Remote Start/Hella 500's/5% Tint/Black Everything
Old 09-29-2011, 01:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram Power Wagon
Trim Level: Power Wagon
Color: Flame Red
Rep:10
Nailhead is on a distinguished road

The crew securing the pan filter to the transmission is a T25, by the way.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
The crew securing the pan filter to the transmission is a T25, by the way.
Cool, so you did the service? Was your exhaust pipe in the way of that screw? Mine was with the 4.7L...