DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:167
rtkman has a spectacular aura aboutrtkman has a spectacular aura about
Default Door panel /Window/Mirror removal on 2010

I had to remove my window today to get gunk off of it. I tinted it too dark and all the glue stayed on when I pulled it off. So to get it off without ruining the felt weatherstrips I had to take it out. I figured I should do a write up how to accomplish this. The Ram doors are really well put together. I'm impressed for sure. Its one of the best designs I've worked on. I don't want to step on the toes of others that have done door pad removal but I wanted to show the window / mirror removal more than anything.

Ok we start by removing the small trim panel at the top. I'm using a trim panel for illustration more than anything. I just get ahold of it with my fingers and pull it off.

Then using a very small screwdriver to remove this cap It hinges at the back so pry at the front as shown

Next remove the Philips head screw under it.

Pry out the handle bezel at the front and pull it off

Grab your torx head screwdriver T15 I think and take the pins out of the clips that go around the door panel. There are 6 on the front 5 on the rear.

Then pry out the remainder of the clip. Carefull they fly really good.

Ok now with all that hardware out of the way you can just lift up on the door panel and it should come right off. Its hooked down into holes in the door. Here's a pic that illustrates the hooks

This is where I push the window switches out from the back. That way you don't have to pry on them to get them out and damage the bezel around the switches.

Then squeeze the clips on the wiring connectors and remove them

Next comes the mirror. Disconnect the 2 wires from the door. They also have retainer clips to push.

Then remove the 3 10mm bolts that hold the mirror on. Its best to have someone there to catch the mirror. Don't take them all off until you get to the outside of the truck to hold the mirror so it wont fall. It should just pull off. There is a weak clip at the top of the mirror that will come off with a little wiggling.

Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2010, 08:06 PM

Pull the wires out through the hole

Ok now the mirror is off. Now to get the window out you need to remove the belt mouldings to give you enough room to wiggle the glass out. The inner one just pulls off no biggie. The outer one is another story. Its really tough and you could break it doing this. Remove the screw at the end (only 1 screw)

The belt moulding is clipped to the door via a channel built into the moulding. Start at the front of the moulding on the inside and use a hooked tool of some sort to get the channel started off. Then its basically just work at getting the channel and pulling the crap out of the moulding until you get it. Its tough but stick at it and don't get to rough. You'll get it.

Ok with that done we need to remove the window. Pull this huge grommet / access door open

Then remove the speaker held in with 4 5mm screws

Now you'll have to hook the window switch back up to drop the window so you can see the white clips on the bottom of the window in these access points. This pic is the back of the window. Just push the 2 spring clips one at a time with a screwdriver while having upwards pressure on the window. You'll see they release quite easily.

The front is a bit tighter but its not bad either. Keep a good grip on the window. You have to go though the hole in the window track for one of the clips on the front and on the rear.

Now that the window isn't restricted anymore you should be able to turn the glass in the opening 90 degrees and remove the glass through the outside of the window opening.

Thats it. Hopefully this is usefull for someone. Putting it back together is obviously the reverse of what we did to remove everything. The door glass you have to put back in at the same angle you took it out. Get it in then rotate it 90degrees back into the window channels then it should just drop down and clip into the window regulator clips. Pretty easy.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:20 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Great write up with pics.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 11-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

That looked like alot of work, thanks for taking the time and effort to post this. WTG

Reps to you !!!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: TRX4-OFFROAD
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
kot333 is on a distinguished road

Great. Thanks for writeup. btw. what depth on factory speakers?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kot333 View Post
Great. Thanks for writeup. btw. what depth on factory speakers?
Thanks guys. I'm not sure how deep the speakers are. Maybe 3"?
Old 01-14-2012, 02:14 PM

Vehicle: 2012, 07, 05 Cummins
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: 2 Black, 1 White
Rep:116
PUREVIL will become famous soon enoughPUREVIL will become famous soon enough

I know this is an old thread but I was curious do I have to take the door panel off to remove the mirrors? Without looking at my truck is that triangle at the top of the door panel attached to the whole door panel? In other truck its not but again I havent looked at my 2012.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:25 PM

Yes you at least need to unfasten the door pad to get the mirror off as the plug for the mirror is under the door pad. I'm not sure why they don't just put the plug at the mirror like Toyota does. It makes no sense..
Old 05-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
popeyesram is on a distinguished road

Awesome write up! I used this to pull the front windows to tint in my 09 Ram SLT! Worked great! Only difference I found was I had to remove the speaker to get to the 2nd set of clips. Made for an awesome tear down and re-install! Repped!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Thanks for doing this write up! My rear door lock is not working and I couldn't figure out how to remove the "backing plate" thing from the door since the glass was attached to it. Will give it another go this weekend now knowing that the glass easily detaches with two clips.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.