DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds When you are modding everything on your Dodge Ram, this is the place to showcase the build.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Thanks! Since I have a long weekend I will be completely detailing the truck this weeekend (first wax since I had it), installing mud spats, new lower fan shroud that is cracked from previous owner, and some maintenance(rotate tires, maybe change oil, and maybe trans fluid if I get to it all). Also need to adjust the step bars, and might do the B pillar tape removal too...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2011, 08:04 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Jeep Wrangler
Trim Level: Unlimited Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:40
Mudder is on a distinguished road

Nice truck and you're off to a great start on it!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:42 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I noticed my thread was moved.... I just can't seem to follow the rules huh....lol

Old 09-18-2011, 08:43 PM

I have a (small) update on my truck tonight. (Told you it would be a slow mod thread lol). I put the 2011 mud spats on my 2010. Took pics and also got all the part numbers for others if anyone was interested. There was one part number posted in other threads and other forums that was not correct, so I had to return the parts and buy other ones.

Parts you need:
Front mud spat part #'s: 5182362AB and 5182363AB
Rear mud spat part #'s: 5182364AB and 5182365AB
2 hex head screws(one for each side) part #: 6509539AA
2 "spring nuts" or whatever they're called part #: 6032031
2 nylon "rivets"(1/4") part #: 55075139 I didn't use these ($$), I got them at autozone.

INCORRECT PART NUMBER FROM OTHER THREADS/FORUMS:
"spring nuts" part #: 6105242AA

The rear 2010 spats are held on with hardware only, the rear 2011 spats are identical but also have a "tab" that there is nowhere for it to go into in the 2010 bed. I simply cut the tab off, no issues. Could have drilled a hole in the bed, but found that more damaging to the truck lol. Other than that, the rears are a simple swap with the new ones, just reuse the existing hardware. The front 2010 spats use a clip underneath that I broke on both trying to remove them. They also use one screw in the fender well. The new 2011 spats use a nylon rivet underneath(this is why you bought them, either at dodge or autozone), and also uses two screws in the fender well(this is why you bought more screws and "spring clips"). I had to remove all the screws holding the inner fender well in(I think 6 total on each side) to be able to move the fender well around enough to slip the new "spring clip" on, then just put all the screws back in.

Very easy, sounds harder/more confusing than it is. If you buy the parts you'll see how it all goes together. pics:

Old fronts:

New fronts:

Old rears:

New rears:

"nylon rivets" from autozone:

Tab on the rear 2011 spats:

Tab on the rear 2011 spats that I cut off:

They should give me a little more protection, and tie in the black well with my truck

Total cost with hardware was about $70.00. Kind of cheap for something so subtle, but I like it...mainly looking for some protection from my tires! Can't run flaps with my step bars(and don't like the look of flaps either).

Old 09-18-2011, 08:46 PM

Oops meant kind of expensive* for something so subtle....not cheap lol

Old 09-19-2011, 09:08 AM

Can a mod please move this to the build threads section of the forum?

Old 10-30-2011, 05:11 PM

Small mod today. Attempted lowering the rear of my truck about 1.5" to 2" by cutting the RT springs. Some good, some bad lol. Everything went well, I started by cutting one complete coil off the springs and got almost no change in ride height. Then cut another half coil, and ended up with about 3/4 inch total drop. Almost not even noticeable. I can cut more, but the problem is I'm not comfortable with it because the springs are "loose" now when the axle is completely extended. What I'm going to do is make some limiting straps to keep the axle from extending all the way and then cut a little more to get it to sit where I want it.

If I were starting from scratch and didn't have these extra set of RT springs I would probably just get the otto-max kit, but since I already started and got the extra springs almost free of charge, I'm going to finish with the experiment lol. Total cost with springs and limiting straps should be around $40 or less(I don't remember what I paid for the springs, I think it was like $20 it was shipping charges only). Will post back when I finish the project, as always it's slow going and will be awhile haha. What I like about doing it this way is I'll be able to swap between these lowered springs and the stockers if I ever want/need to for hauling or towing (it only takes like 1 minute or less to remove each spring once the truck is jacked up).

Here's a few pics, I don't know why I didn't take an after pic I'll get one another time and post it...

Before stance:

After stance:
*Will update later*

Stock rear RT coils

Close up:

One coil cut off:

Total cut off to get 3/4" drop:

I cut about 1/4 way through then stopped for about 2 or 3 minutes to let it cool then cut about another 1/4 way through, etc...(don't want to get the springs very hot).

Next saturday I'm going to a freind's and we are going to be tinting the tail lights, third brake light, and partial debadge. Still haven't ordered the ram air materials yet, that is the next project (money's always tight at the end of the month lol).

Anyone ever make axle travel limiting straps before? What'd you use?

Old 10-30-2011, 05:47 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1338
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

Nice mods man. Still have a lot to do though!
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Still have a lot to do though!
Story of my life! lol

Old 10-31-2011, 10:16 PM

Well here's an after shot with the 3/4" drop for now(can't hardly tell a difference IMO):

Here's the truck in the driveway on an incline and it is more of the look I'm going for when complete:

I got a plan for limiting straps for the axle, then will finish cutting to get to the desired height, so more to come later...