DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future
Default Brake Line Flaring How To

Brake line flaring isn't nearly as difficult as some people make it out to be. The savings from replacing just one bad metal line can more than pay for a quality flaring kit like the Matco DFS260 I use.

The Matco DFS260 Line flaring kit. Cost - about $70. Do NOT settle for a cheap $25-30 kit from Sears of your local parts store as the flaring bar and yoke are often cheaply made and won't work well at all. A good set will flare have adapters for 4-5 sizes and will come complete with a tubing cutter.

Begin by cutting the tubing with a cutter. Start with light pressure on the cutting wheel and make one full revolution with the wheel being the leading edge. In this case, I'm turning the cutter away from me. Tighten the wheel no more than 1/4 turn and make another revolution. Repeat until the tubing is cut completely.

Next, ream out the tubing with the reamer on the cutter or other suitable tool to remove any material left inside the line.

Finish prepping the end to be flared by removing any burrs with a fine flat file. Install the tube nut onto the tube and you're ready to make a double flare on the end of the your line.

Start by loosely clamping the line into the appropriate hole in the flaring bar. For this example I'm using 3/16" line, the most common size. The tube should protrude throught the bar and be level with the first step of the flare adapter. Once in position, tighten the wing nuts on the bar and snug them with pliers.

Install adapter into the line and the yoke on top of the adapter. Tighten until the adapter is flush with the cutting bar and then remove the yoke and adapter.

Reinstall the yoke on the bar minus any adapters and tighten by hand until it bottoms out in the line. Remove the line from the bar and you're done.

The finished product should be smooth and even all the way around and almost a perfect circle with the hole in the tubing centered. See, nothing to it!
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2010, 04:48 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiezl Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Blue Streak Pearl Coat
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice

Awesome write-up Randy! Good work as always.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad 4WD 5.9
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Garnet red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:202
deanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura about

Great pics.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:27 PM

Vehicle: 2002 2500 ram
Trim Level: LT
Color: almond
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:19
spockmckoy is on a distinguished road
Exclamation non ferrous brake line tubing

I just ordered it from fedhillusa.com if anyone interested + an assortment of new American SAE nuts.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:13 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Water Pearl
Rep:71
latitud will become famous soon enough

Don't forget to put the nut on the line first....or your first attempt will just be practice..lol
Old 10-04-2011, 05:20 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

This is great info.....I bought cheap flaring tools in the past and they work terribly....next time I need one I'll buy a good kit...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 Dodge Ram 2500HD pickup
Color: Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:17
Gen1Ram is on a distinguished road
Default Done and Done

This was a process but not too bad for my first attempt.

I took the advice and got the Matco flaring tool kit, works great.

Happened to already have a tubing bender from previous plumbing project, awesome!
So i replaced the two leaking front lines and got everything back together, only to discover a new leak at the rear! moral of the story, replace one rusty line... replace them all!
I ended up snapping a bleeder valve off the front caliper and decided to replace it and the other front caliper as well, both original and rusty as hell, replaced the master cylinder while I was at it cuz i'm crazy like that!