DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:83
Turbovsix will become famous soon enough
Default Warn wireless aux lights

All -

Anybody have experience with Warn's wireless aux lights? I'm looking to install these behind my grill and like the idea of not having to route wires into the cab.

Just looking for general feedback. They seem pretty cool, and the price isn't too bad either. I was looking at Lightforce units as well, but saw that Warn had these in wireless and kinda changed my mind....

http://www.warn.com/truck/lights/W65...g_Lights.shtml
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2011, 01:04 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi SLT 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Stone White
Rep:132
Upstater will become famous soon enoughUpstater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbovsix View Post
All -

Anybody have experience with Warn's wireless aux lights? I'm looking to install these behind my grill and like the idea of not having to route wires into the cab.

Just looking for general feedback. They seem pretty cool, and the price isn't too bad either. I was looking at Lightforce units as well, but saw that Warn had these in wireless and kinda changed my mind....

They look pretty cool... I have the Lightforce 170's on my truck and there's no need to wire into the cab unless you want an auxiliary switch; mine are wired into the high beam circuit under the hood.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:07 PM

That's true -

You and I chatted about this on another post as well - I like how you tied those Lightforces in. They look really cool on your truck. I'm not a wiring expert, at least with my vehicles - when I'm looking at the wiring for the lights in my Ram, which wire do you tap into for the high beams (what color,in other words)...I just get nervous about hacking up the wiring...

I suppose you're right - if my existing high beams suck, which they do, why wouldn't I want them on with the high beams.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
That's true -

You and I chatted about this on another post as well - I like how you tied those Lightforces in. They look really cool on your truck. I'm not a wiring expert, at least with my vehicles - when I'm looking at the wiring for the lights in my Ram, which wire do you tap into for the high beams (what color,in other words)...I just get nervous about hacking up the wiring...

I suppose you're right - if my existing high beams suck, which they do, why wouldn't I want them on with the high beams.
I don't remember the color of the wire, but on the high beams there's only 3; I suck at wiring so I bought an inexpensive circuit tester that lights up when pressed against the insulation of a live wire. I just turned on the high beams and checked the wires until I found the live one, tapped into that and I was good to go!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstater View Post
I don't remember the color of the wire, but on the high beams there's only 3; I suck at wiring so I bought an inexpensive circuit tester that lights up when pressed against the insulation of a live wire. I just turned on the high beams and checked the wires until I found the live one, tapped into that and I was good to go!
Oh cool - I've got one of those - that's what I'll do as well. Completely re-wired my house, but I feel like I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to this truck and the wiring. How did you tap into it - did you use one of those no-splice connectors (like scotch locks) or did you cut, splice, etc -

Think I've finally settled on the KC Slimlight driving lights - 100W each. I don't think I'm going to get the brightness I want with the Warn lights. Plus, the only Lightforce lights I can fit behind the grill are the 140 lance, and those may not quite give me the light I need either.

Thanks again for the help and input on this -

Last edited by Turbovsix; 08-03-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
All -

I agree they look cool but I wouldn't want lights, that I might actually need, to be controlled wirelessly. I'd want them hard wired either to a switch or the high beams. If they are just for show then I guess that's ok. Personally I would only install lights because they are needed.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Oh cool - I've got one of those - that's what I'll do as well. Completely re-wired my house, but I feel like I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to this truck and the wiring. How did you tap into it - did you use one of those no-splice connectors (like scotch locks) or did you cut, splice, etc -

Think I've finally settled on the KC Slimlight driving lights - 100W each. I don't think I'm going to get the brightness I want with the Warn lights. Plus, the only Lightforce lights I can fit behind the grill are the 140 lance, and those may not quite give me the light I need either.

Thanks again for the help and input on this -
Sounds like a great choice. I'm old school when it comes to wiring on my vehicles, so everything gets soldered and finished off with heat-shrink tubing, then electrical tape.