DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Glad it helped you out!

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram1500 quad cab 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
BigDmurph is on a distinguished road

Ok I'm a newbee. My 2012 Ram 1500 4X4 quad cab has come equipped with aquariums under the rear seats. Funny they didn't mention this in any brochures. It's at the dealer now and like many other Ram owners, mine is leaking from the 3rd brake light. WTF!!! I've owned Dodge vans,cars and now my first Ram 1500. What a disappointment this is. My son had this problem back in 2008 on his Ram1500 and I thought they would have fixed the problem by now. The carpets are wet all the way to the front firewall and I sure expect Dodge to remove the head liner, seats, carpets and replace them. The dealer is in contact with Chrysler now to get instructions on what to do next. It's simple, replace everything and make this a recall, not just a service bulletin.
Murph
Old 12-06-2012, 09:48 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Don't leave it to the dealer, just follow the first page of the thread, it'll be fixed for good for ~10 and 30 minutes. You could have had it done already by the time you took it to the dealer. They will likely just caulk it shut, which will look like shit and you won't be able to get the light off easily/cleanly to change the bulb in the future. I can't believe they do that, might as well just put duct tape over the seams...such a crappy "fix".

Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram1500 quad cab 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: grey
BigDmurph is on a distinguished road

I know that would be an easy fix for the light, but, I wanted them to deal with all the water. This truck is only six months old with 6000 miles on it.
They were instructed by Chrysler this afternoon to do whatever is necessary to make sure no mold or mildew grows. They will replace the headliner and remove the seats,carpets, panels and shampoo and dry everything.
These guys seem eager to take care of the problem,but, I'll do the gasket like described earlier in the post.They will even supply a rental tomorrow.
I'll keep you informed.
Murph

Last edited by BigDmurph; 12-06-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Rammin2010 is on a distinguished road

Went to the dealership and they i just missed my warranty by 15 day
so i could of gotten it fixed for free if this would of happened 3 weeks earlier.
now if i fix it i have to check the window seals on the corners and the 3rd brake light seal, can't believe this truck is made in North America and the quality of work is so poor........................
Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Color: Red
Rammin2010 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDmurph View Post
Ok I'm a newbee. My 2012 Ram 1500 4X4 quad cab has come equipped with aquariums under the rear seats. Funny they didn't mention this in any brochures. It's at the dealer now and like many other Ram owners, mine is leaking from the 3rd brake light. WTF!!! I've owned Dodge vans,cars and now my first Ram 1500. What a disappointment this is. My son had this problem back in 2008 on his Ram1500 and I thought they would have fixed the problem by now. The carpets are wet all the way to the front firewall and I sure expect Dodge to remove the head liner, seats, carpets and replace them. The dealer is in contact with Chrysler now to get instructions on what to do next. It's simple, replace everything and make this a recall, not just a service bulletin.
Murph
i agree they should make this a recall, it's just unacceptable and poor workmanship. carpet is all wet and the headliner shows water stains, i love the truck but this may convert me to another brand in the future and i will pass on what type of poor workmanship this truck has, so i may have just "GUTS AND GLORY" less interior after it rusts.......now all my buddies with other truck brands have reason to make fun of Dodge Ram, hard to be proud when this happens ........

Last edited by Rammin2010; 12-07-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 cc
Wonway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammin2010 View Post
Went to the dealership and they i just missed my warranty by 15 day
so i could of gotten it fixed for free if this would of happened 3 weeks earlier.
now if i fix it i have to check the window seals on the corners and the 3rd brake light seal, can't believe this truck is made in North America and the quality of work is so poor........................
It's never the back window. It's always the 3rd brake light. Fix it yourself and save the aggregation. Even a kid with basic tools can fix it. Give it a try.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 2500/2012 1500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: red
88pma is on a distinguished road

I just picked up my 2012 1500 from the dealer for this problem. They used silicone to fix the leak. When I told the dealer that this is an unacceptable repair they said it is the recommended repair from dodge. How the hell do you change the bulbs. Do I take it out know and fix it with the rubber seal or wait for the bulb to burn out. I cant believe they fixed it like this.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:07 PM

^I'd tell the dealer to get all the silicone off, and if they damage the paint they will be responsible. Then you can do the seal yourself.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Color: Graphite
Rep:72
simonmw75 will become famous soon enough

Well, it finally happened to me. My 09 Sport sprung a leak, and because of all your posts, i knew it was the 3rd brake light. So, i went out and bought the same gasket material shown in the orignial post. When i finally found time to do the work, i took the light assembly off noticing that there is only 2 screws. One on each end. I thought that was odd given the width of the light. So, when i took it off i immediately noticed that the gasket was dirty along the top of the light, but not on each end or the bottom. This indicated to me that the water was getting in along the top edge. I also noticed that there was noticeably more gasket compression on the ends and a little more on the bottom than the top. All of this to me indicated that the seal was not compressing enough along the top edge. So, before i tore the old gasket off, i decided to test the the contact area of the old gasket. Long story short, the top edge had minimal contact, which is what i think allowed my leak to occur during heavy rains only.

My fix was not to replace the gasket with what i bought, but to gently and evenly pull the sheet metal where the gasket lays out a little. Then, after cleaning the gasket again, i applied some non-cureing silicon to it. When i reinstalled the light i got 100% contact, and much more gasket compression along the top.

We'll see how it holds up.

To help remove the moisture that had already penetrated, and was noticeable on the inside of my windshield, i bough a canister of desicant from walmart and placed it in the back.