DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of
Default 3rd brake light leak fix

Just thought I'd post this up for what I did to solve my problem of the 3rd brake light leaking. I was getting water in both rear top corners of the cab where the headliner meets the plasic and rear window glass. What happens is the water leaks through the seal of the light, then makes it's way into the cab sheet metal, and runs to both corners due to the way the metal slopes. If you have water dripping from the top corners of the rear of the cab it is probably the 3rd brake light seal leaking. First thing I did was check to make sure the window seal also was not leaking, by pouring water in the open channel (once you remove the two screws holding on the light and pull the light off). There are weeps that let the water drain at the bottom of each corner of the window, my passenger side weep is wide open, the driver side weep is a little tighter (due to the window being installed slightly crooked), but it lets the water out fine. So anyway I then cleaned the sand/muck off where the light seals, and cleaned the old gasket off the light (very easy with flathead screwdriver, then again with adhesive remover). I then applied new thicker gasket (not a foam type like the original), I bought it at home depot, it is slightly wider, and about twice as think, but still very compressible. This is more rubber like (EPDM) than foam like, so should seal better. It doesn't turn sharp corners well, so I cut about half way through for the top two bends, and cut a separate strip for the bottom, this way the bottom corners are open and will let any water that may get in drain out. Pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-07-17 11.23.12.jpg (96.0 KB, 864 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-07-17 11.28.06.jpg (114.8 KB, 842 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-07-17 11.28.41.jpg (53.9 KB, 779 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-07-17 11.35.13.jpg (78.6 KB, 814 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-07-17 11.41.55.jpg (81.1 KB, 767 views)

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2011, 08:16 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

More pictures....

Old 07-17-2011, 08:19 PM

Don't know why that didn't work.... Will post remaining pics later it won't let me post anymore pics, I gotta go help with dinner, be back later

Old 07-18-2011, 12:49 AM

Hmmm....maybe a moderator can help me? I'd love to post the rest of these pictures as maybe they could help someone, but it won't let me attach anymore. It says "you have exceeded your quota"...?

Old 07-18-2011, 12:54 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Hmmm....maybe a moderator can help me? I'd love to post the rest of these pictures as maybe they could help someone, but it won't let me attach anymore. It says "you have exceeded your quota"...?
Try posting them on photobucket and then post a link to them here.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:33 PM

Thanks redram, I'm going to give it one more shot...lol!

Here's a step by step on how I fixed my 3rd brake light leak issue...I had water coming in both corners of the rear of the cab, at the very corners of the headliner.

Remove screws from brake light, then remove lens (may have to pull pretty hard, I did). After lens is removed unclip wire harness (squeeze the clip on the connecter and it will release):

I tested to make sure the water that gets in between the front window "seal" and the rear actual window seal drains out the weeps (weeps are at bottom corners of the back glass):
Pouring water into the track:

Water coming out of the weeps:

Next clean the surface of the cab (mine was dirty with water/muck/sand that leaked in. Then you can scrape the old gasket off the light lens (comes off easy with a flat head screwdriver). After I got the majority of the gasket scraped off, I used some adhesive remover and scraped the film that was left behind off (this was a pain and a mess and probably not necessarily):

After the lens surface was clean I applied the new gasket. I bought this at home depot, I chose it because it is slightly wider than the original, and about twice as thick, but still very compressible. It is also more rubber like than foam like, so should seal better. It does not turn sharp corners well, so I cut about half way through at the top corners to turn the corners, but the outer edge is still seamless. I make the bottom a separate piece and left the bottom corners open so if any water gets in it can drain out:

Reinstall once done, it will not sit as tight as before (due to thicker gasket), but will seal. I'm guessing after a few months I will be able to tighten the screws another turn after the gasket gets "precompressed":

Did the hose test for above 5 minutes, not a drop in the cab. Still pending a heavy rain test. Will post back after it rains hard. This all took me about 30-45 minutes working slow. Hope this helps someone...

Old 07-21-2011, 10:40 PM

It just poured really hard for over an hour, and as soon as it stopped I went to look at the truck, no sign of any water intrusion. Happy

Old 09-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram SLT
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:21
TheAverageJoe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheAverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to TheAverageJoe Send a message via Skype™ to TheAverageJoe

THIS REALLY WORKS!
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram SLT Quad Cab.
I did the same thing snrusnak did, per his instructions in this thread.
Home Depot sells a Frost King door seal that is 5/16"x9/16" and is made of rubber, not the spongey material that is supplied by Dodge.
My factory gasket was in fairly good shape by appearance, but was failing due to the material being porous.
My 3rd light, now fits snugger and won't leak after 5 years from the assembly line.
I highly recommend repairing your 3rd light this way if you're having the same problem....

Last edited by TheAverageJoe; 09-09-2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-09-2011, 11:25 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Great post, gonna get some for my fix ASAP! Wife complains of the musty smell after the rain pours in!
Old 09-10-2011, 01:16 AM

Quote:
THIS REALLY WORKS!
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram SLT Quad Cab.
I did the same thing snrusnak did, per his instructions in this thread.
Home Depot sells a Frost King door seal that is 5/16"x9/16" and is made of rubber, not the spongey material that is supplied by Dodge.
My factory gasket was in fairly good shape by appearance, but was failing due to the material being porous.
My 3rd light, now fits snugger and won't leak after 5 years from the assembly line.
I highly recommend repairing your 3rd light this way if you're having the same problem....
Glad it helped you It's been a while now and still not a drop in my cab

Quote:
Great post, gonna get some for my fix ASAP! Wife complains of the musty smell after the rain pours in!
Good luck (this is probably the best mod I've done lol as it keeps my truck from stinking!)