DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram – 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
pilot5865 is on a distinguished road
Default BullyDog Programmer Review

Just wanted to share what I found:

I recently purchased a Bullydog Tripledog GT, updated it immediately, and installed it per the instructions. Spent about $400, thought it was nice aesthetically, and I was hopeful it would be a great programmer based on their claims. I am a former automotive engineer (with a concentration in internal combustion engines) with a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi. I haven’t made any other modifications to the truck yet.

Ever since I purchased this item, I tried emailing customer service and tech support with no response. So if any Bullydog guys are out there, I would LOVE to hear back from you. Otherwise, here are 9 reasons why I think the Bullydog Tripledog GT is GARBAGE with an LCD screen:

#9 When the vehicle is shut off completely, it still adds to the running average mpgs. In other words, if I forget to turn the unit off (which, the on/off switch is located by the OBD2 and not the head unit), it thinks that I’m getting 0 mpg. Even an amateur high school programmer knows how to add a function that stops the running avg when fuel flow is 0.

#8 The unit does nothing to the variable valve timing on the engine. If a company is tuning an engine, this is a great way to get “free energy.” Engine manufacturers are required to “stifle” the engine valves to reduce sound emissions. Optimizing the VVT would be similar to changing out cams in other engines. I’m not suggesting to make it similar to a stage 3, but at least do SOMETHING.

#7 Real time graphs can not be edited. For instance, if I want to monitor my fuel consumption, I cannot because the graph range is 0-150 GPH. Normal acceleration is only 1.5 GPH, so it looks like the engine is flatlining the entire drive.

#6 It does nothing to the max value of the MDS. MDS shuts off at 65mph, so if I want to drive the speed limit (70-75) I’m using all 8 cylinders.

#5 They advertise that the unit can shut off the seat belt chime. The unit says it’s off, but that damn thing won’t stop dinging. Not a huge deal, but it was one of those little things that encouraged me to buy.

#4 I don’t really feel an increase in horsepower in the seat, but what I have noticed is that they make the gas pedal REALLY touchy in the low end range. Yet the high end range of the pedal feels like it’s really weak. I figure that this is Bullydog making their customers happy with their purchase because they think they can feel the “added horsepower.”

#3 I have tried the high octane fuel setting and graphed a performance test. When I compare it to the stock performance test, the difference is negligible. There is a chance that it could have been a slight change in wind that caused the results to be different. 35 hp gain, my ass.

#2 The instant and average fuel economy gauges need calibration but provide no function for it. When comparing it to the truck’s reading and the actual usage, it is about a 1mpg difference. Not a huge deal, but why is this so difficult to be accurate? If you’re measuring the fuel consumption and MPH, why should there be a variance? A different product on their website claims that the fuel economy gauge can and should be calibrated every 6 months. They state that it needs to be calibrated because winter fuels and summer fuels have 1.5% difference in energy. True, however a fuel’s HHV and LHV doesn’t effect the fuel consumption READING. It effects the fuel consumption, but it shouldn’t cause the reading to vary. This is like saying increasing tire sizes by 10% will cause your RPMs to decrease 10% - they’re unrelated for our purposes. Getting a good fuel consumption reading shouldn’t depend on a fuel’s energy.

And #1…. The driving coach is functionally retarded. It gives you these tips at random that were thought up by a 15 year old in drivers ed. It tells you to idle less: no kidding; let me just blow through this red light so I’m not wasting gas. I can get a tip like that from reading an advertisement on a gas station pump. Then it tells you to accelerate gradually to save gas, and yells at you when you don’t. Accelerating gradually to save gas IS AN OLD WIVES TALE!! To anyone that has looked at a BSFC map, you will know what I am about to say. Every engine has a different fingerprint of fuel consumption, and all engine manufacturers keep this information very confidential. What I mean to say is that low RPM acceleration does not always mean the best fuel economy. To go from say 0-60 mph, there is a specific amount of work that an engine has to do. If you accelerate 0-60 in 6 seconds, it takes the same amount of work (ideally) as accelerating from 0-60 in 60 seconds. It’s just that the amount of work in the 60 sec run is spread out over a longer amount of time. It’s like jumping a flight of stairs instead of walking up normally – they both would require the same amount of work to accomplish, but your legs require more power to jump an entire floor. Engines have a certain RPM they run the most efficient on depending on the horsepower. For instance, I’m finding out that my optimum RPM to accelerate is around 2200. I did a bass-ackwards way of testing this logic with the Bullydog (since this is a VERY user-Unfriendly reading with this unit). I went from 0-50 at a 1600 RPMs and 0-50 at 2200. The 1600 trial took 22 units of fuel (like I said – user-unfriendly, so I don’t know the units) and the 2200 trial used 16 units of fuel. Bottom line, if they are playing with your engine’s configuration and don’t know this well-studied fact……

Overall, I’m not sure that I trust what this unit is telling my engine to do “behind the LCD screen,” based on all the issues I have above. What I can say is buying this unit is like marrying a bimbo for her money. She looks good, but she’s dumb as hell.
Sponsored links
Old 06-15-2011, 02:02 PM
erm

Good review and sorry you spent the money on something that doesn't work well for ya.

I won't say ya shoulda bought a DiabloSport Predator or Trinity because I am sure that you looked at those as well and the BullyDog offering seemed to be the better choice.

All I can say is that I bought the DS Predator because I was looking for results and I got them....twice....

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
pilot5865 is on a distinguished road

Thanks.

Yeah I think a Diablo is next. I see a lot of good reviews for them, unfortunately I was distracted by the shiny lights and the empty promises.

BULLYDOG FOR SALE: $5 lol
Old 06-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
RamOwner is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the very useful information.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:69
ramrt1993 will become famous soon enough

That is the most hilarious review I have ever read! Great job on it too! Sorry it didn't work out for you.
Gatorhyde Spray In Bedliner-MGP Red Brake Caliper Covers-Tinted Windows-Partially Debadged-aFe Stage 2 Intake-180 Thermostat-Groundforce 2" Rear Drop-BT Catch Can-Fastman Throttle Body-ARH Headers 1 3/4"-True Dual 22" Magnapacks-100% Synthetic Amsoil-TYC V6 eFan-Hemifever Tune
Old 07-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 2500 hemi
Trim Level: Slt
Color: Medium charcoal
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
jiminnb is on a distinguished road
Default bully dog my a$$

thanks for the informative review.. you just saved me 450.+

I saw this piece on Gears with Stacey David and was 1 step from buying one for my 07 2500 Ram.

More research for me

Thanks again

Old 07-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 2500 hemi
Trim Level: Slt
Color: Medium charcoal
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
jiminnb is on a distinguished road

I see the Diablo mentioned in a couple of replies, any reviews on thoose models?
Old 08-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge ram 1500 crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: True Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
daego65 is on a distinguished road

AWESOME REVIEW. My wallet thanks you
Old 08-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: st
Color: white
fishinf1 is on a distinguished road

The original Bullydog headquarters is about 3 miles from my house so everyone around these parts runs bullydog. I've owned 1 and have found Bullydog to be an awesome investment on diesel engines but on gas engines it tends to be a $450 instrument gauge. I will warn you if you put the bullydog programmer in performance mode you better use the highest octane possible or it will melt your cylinders down, trust me on this.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: blue
gabo5.7 is on a distinguished road

i am about to buy the DS, long time ago before i had a hemi, a friend of mine got at SEMA from the guys at DS a custum tune page for the timing, spark and what not. does anybody here has it? and they gave it to him for a dodge ram 4th gen