DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:83
cosbourn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian11 View Post
As for the warranty i do not know taking it to the dealership they may be able to tell you, best bet to be %100 percent sure is use either your hand or a rubber or softfaced mallet and hit the cats, if you hear a rattling the honey comb has broke apart...using the chanel locks is going to create other noise and you will probably not here the rattle
I tried doing this, kinda hard to tell if it's the cat's 100% or if it's the rest of the piping. but it is rattling on both for sure. one thing is for sure it IS NOT a heat shield. i used the mallet on them and they were quiet so it is got to be the cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 2500 View Post
Cat back exhaust will not void that warranty The PCM is also covered since it controls the emissions
sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 2500 View Post
If you have access to a good scanner like snap on or OTC you can see what back O2 sensors are reading the knox will b high
will your run of the mill code reader be able to do this or is it a specialized reader?

one thing i don't understand is that, why haven't I got a code thrown this entire time? you know? like with the cats failing why isn't there a code being tripped by the two 2 downstream o2 sensors?
Westin Ultimate Bull Bar w/ IPF 968CSG lights, Husky Mud Flaps, Bedlined GoRhino Dominator II steps, Bedlined Fuel Door, RBP Pedal-Covers, Clarion CZ300, Composite BFI (#71) w/ 8" Tall Amsoil Filter + K&N Drycharger Prefilter, AirRam Scoop, Flex-a-Lite 183, dumped Aeroturbine 3030XL
Sponsored links
Old 05-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:10
Crazy Bruce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbourn View Post
So after owning my truck for close to 1 year now I have finally lost all patience with dealing with the faint to annoying rattling (sounds like a tin can or something) coming from the underside of the truck at or right below 2100 RPM. Once I pass 2100 or come back down from 2100 it completely goes back to normal sounding. Performance has not been lost and the truck is getting average mpg so idk if it's my cats. Thing is it only happens when the truck is in gear and under load, ie up a hill or getting on the highway or pulling from stoplight etc.

It was present when the truck had the stock muffler on, so i didn't think anything of it, thought it could be the stock muffler with a broke baffle weld or a loose heat shield. I then switched to a FM40 and the sound was still present. After dealing the massive drone a FM40 has I switched to a Aerotrubine 3030xl and it is now worse than ever. I have tightened every accessible heat shield bolt/screw and tightened. My U-Joints look fine (thought it might be them straining under that particular rpm). I even went as far to take my stock manifold heat shields off as I thought they were causing the problem (one had a broke stud and the heat shield would bounce around). But that didn't help the problem at all.

Everything I am reading is saying that it's the muffler but seriously? What's the chances of having 3 different mufflers within a year, all 3 of which with busted muffler welds? I think not...

I had a 96' Ram that I had to get my cat replaced because it would rattle almost identically sounding but only at idle ~650 rpm. My truck now doesn't have this problem at idle. ONLY at 2100 rpm under load and in gear. SO..with all that being said is anyone experiencing the same problem I am? Any suggestions on things to check? Is there anyway to check the cat's externally before taking them to muffler guy and having him charge me $$$ I don't want to spend?

Thanks a bunch for the input guys!
Did you ever resolve this issue?

Sorry to wake up an old thread but I came across your post in a Google search... I created an account to contact you directly but need a minimum of 25 posts before I can send a PM

I have checked my entire exhaust (less than 3 years old - JBA Headers, Stage 8 bolts, JBA Y - Pipe, Magnaflow Cat Back and High Flow Cats) and everything appears ok... the tin/rattle/leaky sound is the most annoying noise and it only occurs at 2100 RPM under moderate throttle.

How did you solve the problem? Thanks
Old 05-06-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bruce View Post
Did you ever resolve this issue?

Sorry to wake up an old thread but I came across your post in a Google search... I created an account to contact you directly but need a minimum of 25 posts before I can send a PM

I have checked my entire exhaust (less than 3 years old - JBA Headers, Stage 8 bolts, JBA Y - Pipe, Magnaflow Cat Back and High Flow Cats) and everything appears ok... the tin/rattle/leaky sound is the most annoying noise and it only occurs at 2100 RPM under moderate throttle.

How did you solve the problem? Thanks
No problem man, glad I'm still subscribed to the thread. Ha
For me it ended up being a bad cat, so I replaced both the midpipes with new integrated cats from Walker (was my family's parts store's brand for exhaust). NO more rattling, running good. At first I though it was my manifold heat shields, removed both, sound remained.

Might be those cats...? Idk man. Haven't had any experience with magnaflow's products. I was leaning towards magnaflow's mid pipes for mine but they wanted more than I was willing to pay for if I remember correctly. Walker's are ok. They weren't mandrel bent, they were ran through a regular tube bender so they are ruffled up at the bends but they have a better y-pipe than stock. 6, half dozen or the other I suppose.

The heat shields above the exhaust down the passenger side of my rig were loose at the time when I was looking as well but after tightening the sound remained, might check those. Our rigs have a bunch of heat shields with foam behind them inbetween the body panel and the heat shield, some of mine was missing as well. Especially around where the manifolds descend into the mid pipes. In your case headers down.

Does that help you any?
Westin Ultimate Bull Bar w/ IPF 968CSG lights, Husky Mud Flaps, Bedlined GoRhino Dominator II steps, Bedlined Fuel Door, RBP Pedal-Covers, Clarion CZ300, Composite BFI (#71) w/ 8" Tall Amsoil Filter + K&N Drycharger Prefilter, AirRam Scoop, Flex-a-Lite 183, dumped Aeroturbine 3030XL

Last edited by cosbourn; 05-06-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:10
Crazy Bruce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbourn View Post
No problem man, glad I'm still subscribed to the thread. Ha
For me it ended up being a bad cat, so I replaced both the midpipes with new integrated cats from Walker (was my family's parts store's brand for exhaust). NO more rattling, running good. At first I though it was my manifold heat shields, removed both, sound remained.

Might be those cats...? Idk man. Haven't had any experience with magnaflow's products. I was leaning towards magnaflow's mid pipes for mine but they wanted more than I was willing to pay for if I remember correctly. Walker's are ok. They weren't mandrel bent, they were ran through a regular tube bender so they are ruffled up at the bends but they have a better y-pipe than stock. 6, half dozen or the other I suppose.

The heat shields above the exhaust down the passenger side of my rig were loose at the time when I was looking as well but after tightening the sound remained, might check those. Our rigs have a bunch of heat shields with foam behind them inbetween the body panel and the heat shield, some of mine was missing as well. Especially around where the manifolds descend into the mid pipes. In your case headers down.

Does that help you any?
Thank you for taking the time to respond - I will take my truck to a local exhaust shop and see if they can confirm the cats are the cause of the annoying noise...

I had a feeling it might be the cats and was disappointed to learn they are not covered by warranty. According to Magnaflow the cats are an emissions component and are not covered by the by the lifetime warranty that covers their exhaust components.

Another reason I feel it may be the cats is because Magnaflow has changed part numbers since I had my cats installed. Back when I had my exhaust work done Magnaflow listed Part# 99336HM for a 2004 Ram Hemi - the current listing shows Part# 99236HM. Gotta wonder why they now list a cat with different physical dimensions...

Thanks again... I'll post when I get the issue resolved
Old 05-07-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bruce View Post
Thank you for taking the time to respond - I will take my truck to a local exhaust shop and see if they can confirm the cats are the cause of the annoying noise...

I had a feeling it might be the cats and was disappointed to learn they are not covered by warranty. According to Magnaflow the cats are an emissions component and are not covered by the by the lifetime warranty that covers their exhaust components.

Another reason I feel it may be the cats is because Magnaflow has changed part numbers since I had my cats installed. Back when I had my exhaust work done Magnaflow listed Part# 99336HM for a 2004 Ram Hemi - the current listing shows Part# 99236HM. Gotta wonder why they now list a cat with different physical dimensions...

Thanks again... I'll post when I get the issue resolved
The integrated cat's that were built into the Walker Midpipes I got were smaller than stock but so far have had no issue with them. As far as them changing the dimension on their product, that does sound a little fishy.

Good luck!!