DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum

Notices

Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum Wax on, Wax off! Chat about anything that gives you Carpal Tunnel or Tennis Elbow in here! ;)

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future
Exclamation Urgent Info For '08 And Newer 4.7 Owners

I've recently discovered a problem with the top row coil packs that needs immediate attention. Last week I did an upper row plug replacement and when I tried to remove the coil packs, two of the boots tore beyond repair due to them seizing on the porcelin part of the plug. I thought this might be an isolated incident but after another plug replacement today, I discovered this is going to be a problem. The real downer is that plug boots are no longer available seperately from Chrysler and we couldn't locate any in the aftermarket so the entire coil pack must be replaced. Not that it much matters since the boots are only $3 cheaper than the complete coil pack.

If you're covered under the powertrain warranty and it should be covered if the service is done at the dealer but I'm not sure how it would be handled if this happens to a do-it-yourselfer.

My advice - remove the coil and apply dielectric grease to the inside of the boots where they dontact the porcelin part of the plug to prevent seizing.

I also checked the boots on the lower plugs and they came off cleanly but applying dielectric grease to these wouldn't be a bad idea.

Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2011, 02:13 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch, that could really suck for a do-it-yourselfer... thanks for the heads up Randy
Old 03-11-2011, 05:28 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Hopefully someone will see this in time to save then the irritation of having to dig a plug boot out of the #7 or 8 cylinders. My description of this process would make a seasoned trucker blush with shame.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:21 PM

Just want to bump this one so hopefully some of the 4.7 owners see it and can avoid this problem.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:34 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

good stuff randy! Thanks, I will check mine tonite!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 03-16-2011, 04:13 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:27
Maddevill is on a distinguished road

Once again Randy, you are a valuable asset to all of us here on the forum. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:00 PM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500 SLT C.C.
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:946
Juice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to behold

Good info Randy!

Justin
Black Mamba- Flowmaster 40 series, Airaid CAI, 20% tint, GTO taillight covers, ATA nerfs, AVS in-channel ventvisors, Curt hitch receiver, Extang Revolution Tonneau, EZ-down tailgate damper, Recon smoked 3rd brake light, Custom painted engine cover

Black Mamba's Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:53 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Patriot Blue
Rep:1338
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

Thanks for the heads up Randy, even though it doesn't apply to me it will definitely help out others!!
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

About a week late for me Just found this site seeing if this was a problem for others. I can answer what Chrysler will do about the problem for do it yourself croud. The top right row I had no issue removing the boots In fact there was enough grease on the plugs to make a mess. The top right side all four boots are welded to the plug. I ended up breaking the plugs off below the boot to remove the boot and top of the plug and a magnet worked great to remove the bottom halh of the plug Of course the boot os a dealer only item and dummy me decided to change the plugs on Sunday....The truck has a lifetime warranty but I would have to have it towed in and because I had damaged the boots they would not be covered under warranty and to add insult to injury they threatned to void the life time warranty because I had worked on the truck..nice ... so $150.00 dollars and four new coils she is back on the road and I am still trying to figure out how to get Dodge to honor their mistake

Bob
Old 03-17-2011, 06:02 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Ram 1500 4.7L "H/O"
Color: Graphite Metallic
Rep:91
tmerritt530 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for putting the word out!

My parents have an 08 4.7L, we haven't been into the plugs yet as the truck only has around 40K. My dad always puts dielectric grease on the boots for this reason. We did my truck around 30K miles ago.