DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-11-2011, 12:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 crew
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Hawkinsgold is on a distinguished road

I owned a 2007.5 Ram 2500 6.7L cummins Mega Cab. Greatest vehicle I have ever driven... Had many problems with the turbo even on lengthy highway drives. The problem was, i didn't tow very often with it. They are made to work. I know the 2010 and above have resolved the turbo issue. The last turbo I put in mine was the 2010 version and for 50,000 miles I had no problem whatsoever. As for the Mega Cab, hey , there is nothing out there that compares to it. I drove across Canada and the U.S. with 4 adults and a child in a carseat. Most comfortable and roomy ride I ever had. Fuel mileage was great. Hand calculated, I got 26 miles per gallon(Canadian Gallon) on the highway and 19 to 20 for combined driving. If it wasn't for totalling it in an accident , I would still be driving it.

When I bought a replacement ride, I just could not justify the size of the truck or the diesel. So I went with the 1500 and a Hemi. Worse mileage but cheaper on oil changes.

If you are not going to tow with it you still may not have turbo problems if you stay newer than 2009. If you like the diesel feel you might think about a 2007 or older with the 5.9 cummins. same great fuel mileage and a pleasure to drive. Friend of mine has the 2005 3500 duallie and he has 200 thousand miles on it and not one problem, just does regular maintenance.
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2011, 01:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkinsgold View Post
Worse mileage but cheaper on oil changes.
Not to mention you don't have expensive fuel filters to replace with the Hemi or the higher cost of diesel fuel.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:49 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

You have admitted that you don't need the big power of the diesel, which tells me that it will lead a very pampered life. If that's the case, Dodge/Ford/GM doesn't matter....it WILL give you trouble. All of the diesel engines NEED to work, and the new diesel engines don't like long term idling.

I have owned 5 Ford F150, 3 Ford F250, 2 dodge 2500 and 2 Dodge 1500.

Based on what information you have supplied, I know you will be very pleased with the Ram 2500 with the 5.7L Hemi. Based on personal experience, it pulls....big time.....but not as much as the Cummins. If your looking at the Ford, take a VERY serious look at their new 3.5L.....Yes...3.5L V6. This is the first Ford gasser in a long time that's worth consideration.

Better still, take one of each for a test drive, on the same day. Buy the one that 'YOU' like the most.....I personally hope you choose the Dodge, but if it's the Ford, please come back here and tell us about it...especially if it's the 3.5L.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 03-11-2011, 02:22 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:198
srtsir has a spectacular aura aboutsrtsir has a spectacular aura about

Fords are not bad...They are reliable...But they look like S*** just my opinion...
5.7 HEMI, DIABLO, K&N INTAKE, MBRP CATBACK, 4.56 MOTIVE, DMH E-CUTOUTS, 22X10 SRT-10 RIMS (BLACK), 315/45/22 COOPER ZEON XST'S, 2/4.5 MCGAUGHYS DROP KIT, 6K HID'S FOGS & HEADS, RECON L.E.D TAILGATE STRIP, EFX ROLLPAN, TRUXEDO LO-PRO, HORNBLASTERS 156DB TRAIN HORN, HONEYCOMB GRILLE....
Old 03-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-350
Rep:10
pcsmith is on a distinguished road

Well I am a little confused about one thing. Why does a truck have trouble from being under used / not being used to its full potential. I hear you guys saying on the 6.7L Cummins the turbo will have trouble if I don't work it hard enough. I don't understand why that is. Can anyone clarify?
Old 03-11-2011, 12:40 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The new emissions equipment for ALL the diesels is the cause of the new woes, but it's a lot better than when it first started coming into play in '07. The engine needs to be run hot and hard in order to keep the diesel particulate filter (DPF) clean; if it's not kept clean through hard driving, it plugs up with soot and then doesn't allow the exhaust gas to flow through properly which causes high backpressure on the turbo's exhaust turbine. The engine's high idle helps some, but without being pushed hard regularly it begins to have issue as the regeneration cycle needs the added air from driving hard with boost to burn off the DPF as the system sprays raw fuel onto the filter and heats it up to the point that the soot breaks up and is expelled out the exhaust.

One benefit of the cummins over the powerstroke is it doesn't have use urea injection or have a barn door for a fuel door.

Last edited by CdnoilRAM; 03-11-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:44 PM

Rep:16
trojan25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
I would recommend the gas engine in a 3/4 ton, and if you want some good power for the occasional hauling... STAY AWAY FROM THE FORD! The ford's gas engine has zero guts, even the NEW ford built motor is lacking in the 3/4 ton. I drive a '10 F-250 Superduty gas job for my current contract (client supplied , and with the topper and all my rescue gear in the box (~500lb) the truck is sluggish on climbs, but handles the horrible oilfield roads nicely. The fuel economy is about equal between the gas 3/4 tons, but don't expect miracles, around 13MPG would be average, as they do not have the MDS or any kind of fuel savings management in the 3/4 ton trucks.

If you are set on a 3/4 ton for the heavier duty, then you'll sacrifice the mileage, and I'd highly recommend the hemi as it has much better digging power compared to the ford 5.4L, which is a whimp when it comes to pushing the truck.
Ford did away with the 5.4 engine altogether after 2010. The new Ford gasser for SuperDutys is the 6.2
Old 03-13-2011, 03:30 AM

Vehicle: 2001 2500 ext cab long bed
Trim Level: sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:77
67Polara will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsmith View Post
Hello All,

If any of you are knowledgeable about mega cabs if you could throw in your 2 cents comparing mega cab to quad cab in dodge and either of those to crew cab in Ford.
love my mega cab, the back seats are awsome !, plenty of leg room, tons of places to stuff all sorts of stuff under the seats behind them and theres nifty storage under the floor behinds the seats. n the seats fold down n its like a bed back there. other then that... the amount of room back there is just flippin crazy, only down fall is they dont make them factory with a long bed.
i dont really know to much about the quad cabs or the ford crew cabs. hope this helps
Old 03-18-2011, 06:01 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500 QC 4.7L Flex 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:26
afkst6 is on a distinguished road

I myself have been in the market for a new truck. Considering all of those that really would meet my needs. As you have done, I have narrowed my selection down to Ford and Dodge. Being a dodge guy for the past 4 years, it was hard to drive over to Ford and look at their vehicles. Though at this point, I had already test drove Dodge, Hummer, Toyota, GMC, and Nissan. I'm glad I did, in making my final selection I chose Ford. I thought it would be my last, but it's my choice. What it comes down to is what you personally want. Personally, of the non-diesels out there on the market with the past 5 years, I chose the 2011 Ford F-150 SuperCrew Raptor.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

Should be ford vs. Ram trucks, but thats an entirely different story.
One of the biggest things the ram has going for it is the Cummins engine. Most guys who really work there truck and use it as a HD will tell you if they put a Cummins in a Ford (with an allison transmission) It would be the best truck out there.
Fords ride really well but ever since they stopped using the 7.3 they've really lost it but may be on to something with there newest line of engines (we'll see)
Rams have stuck with the tried and proven and its working really well. They changed the 5.9L and there was a huge uproar, but now after a few years guys are starting to really accept the 6.7(usually without the DPF and EGR though) Plus the fact that they're now the only ones who still offer a manual transmission in a truck!
My brother I grew up in my uncles Ford dealership but my dad was always the mopar outcast (70 Challenger) When my dad bought his 11 Big Horn my brother was ticked. He didnt like the look of the front end and my dad really rubbed it into him when he pulled out the Ram brochure and put it next to a GT500 ad (My brother races a 2007 Mustang GT/CS). He's slowly opening up to it though haha