DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F-350
Rep:10
pcsmith is on a distinguished road
Default Ford vs. Dodge what are your thoughts?

Hello All,

I / my family have traditionally been Ford owners. Currently I have a Ford F-350 with the 7.3L Diesel 2WD. I like it but it has the very high torque gearing in the back and I think it is a little slow and cumbersome. I had a 2001 F-150 before and I really liked the way that handled and cornered but the 4.7L gas was way underpowered. At this point I'm pretty much set on a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck and I'm basically set on 4WD. I am kind of on the fence between gas and diesel and the bigger problem between Ford or dodge. The general layout I'm looking for is a 4 door short bed. If were talking Dodge I like the mega cabs over the 4 door.

I don't do alot of towing and the biggest thing I would ever tow would be a few tons, like a midsize tractor. My needs really dont justify a 3/4 or greater ton truck but I think in general they are built heavier and that appeals to me.

With that said there is the gas or diesel. My needs by no means justify a diesel but I feel as though its just a beefy er setup. Also I think that if you buy a more powerful setup it uses less of its potential on a daily basis and in turn lasts longer. I have heard in the Dodges the tranny they put in the diesels cant handle the engine and the tranny goes quick?

If any of you are knowledgeable about mega cabs if you could throw in your 2 cents comparing mega cab to quad cab in dodge and either of those to crew cab in Ford.

I / my family have had nothing but trouble with anything GM so totally not interested in that route. I any of you could throw in thoughts about the ford dodge comparison that would be great.

Thanks! Sorry for throwing alot out there at once.
Sponsored links
Old 03-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:869
jcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to behold

Well, you came to a Dodge Forum, so you're gonna hear Dodge of course lol. I would say get an 06-08 Mega Cab with a Hemi. The new 6.7l Diesels are made to really work, so when you don't work them they mess up. The Hemi will have plenty of power to haul a tractor. And with the 06-08 1500 Mega Cabs, they're very similar to a HD truck. They're basically 2500's as far as the suspension goes. And when you get that Mega Cab, you won't want anything else. It's absolutely amazing. My father has one and it's unbelievably spacious. Just my .02! Good luck!
Old 03-10-2011, 01:52 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:567
HerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to allHerRam is a name known to all

just FYI Dodge DOES make a Crew Cab also...a little bigger than the Quad cab but a little smaller than the Mega Cab
PINK FUZZY DICE!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 02:40 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The older 48 RE transmissions that used to be behind the CTD wasn't nearly as good as the 68 RFE being used these days so you can pretty much lay your transmission concerns to rest. The Hemi is backed by the 545 RFE. If you want a gas burning 2500 with more off road goodies and comforts than you know what to do with, take a look at the Power Wagons. The come with locking diffs, sway bar disconnects and a factory 12000 lb Warn winch. I really don't recommend buying a diesel unless you have a need for one. These engines are designed to be worked and worked hard. Babying a 6.7 is the worst thing you can do to it short of idling it all the time.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I actually posted this exact same thread in both the ford forum and the dodge forum. I understand each will have their biases but I want input from both sides. This debate is very frustrating because is seems that you can walk up to any given person on any given day and swear on a different truck every time. Even those god awful chevys
Old 03-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

To me looking at the quad cab they are exactly the same as the ford extended cab except the door is mounted normally not clamshell style. The dodge crew cabs look a little better but the mega cab still looks to be what is comperable to fords crew cab. Honestly the cummins and the mega cab are really why is apealling to me about dodge. If ford made the 7.3 in a truck newer than 2006 I'd get that in two seconds. I have just heard terrible things about the 6.0's
Old 03-10-2011, 04:59 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I've had some experience with the 6.0 and can say it runs good until you need power to pull or haul - it's weak with a load. You could safely say I'm a Ford hater but the 7.3 was a damn good engine once they worked the bugs out of it. They should have never discontinued it.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:18 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3225
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

OK, as an owner of an '09 PowerStroke Superduty and a diehard Dodge fan I consider myself to be pretty level headed to answer this question. I love my 6.4L P/S as a work truck, it's the most reliable diesel hauler I've driven... but it's not a cummins

You say you will not be doing any reqular or 'serious' towing, if this is the case, then stay away from the diesels; the new diesels with the DPFs NEED to be driven hard and put away wet if you don't tow. As much as I'm a oil-burner lover, it wouldn't be practical for you and you'd run into lots of troubles with the emissions systems clogging up regardless of make.

I would recommend the gas engine in a 3/4 ton, and if you want some good power for the occasional hauling... STAY AWAY FROM THE FORD! The ford's gas engine has zero guts, even the NEW ford built motor is lacking in the 3/4 ton. I drive a '10 F-250 Superduty gas job for my current contract (client supplied , and with the topper and all my rescue gear in the box (~500lb) the truck is sluggish on climbs, but handles the horrible oilfield roads nicely. The fuel economy is about equal between the gas 3/4 tons, but don't expect miracles, around 13MPG would be average, as they do not have the MDS or any kind of fuel savings management in the 3/4 ton trucks.

If you are set on a 3/4 ton for the heavier duty, then you'll sacrifice the mileage, and I'd highly recommend the hemi as it has much better digging power compared to the ford 5.4L, which is a whimp when it comes to pushing the truck.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:41 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:100
wester399 will become famous soon enoughwester399 will become famous soon enough

Most opinions on here will be fairly biased seeing we own rams lol. But from having fords as a work truck i can tell you that they are far from reliable. Also the new fords get worse mileage then the hemi. Ive had good luck with my ram so far.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:04 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:92
JHamilton will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsmith View Post
To me looking at the quad cab they are exactly the same as the ford extended cab except the door is mounted normally not clamshell style. The dodge crew cabs look a little better but the mega cab still looks to be what is comperable to fords crew cab. Honestly the cummins and the mega cab are really why is apealling to me about dodge. If ford made the 7.3 in a truck newer than 2006 I'd get that in two seconds. I have just heard terrible things about the 6.0's
I have heard bad things about the recent Powerstrokes as well. No idea if they are true or not though.

As HerRam posted, each companies crew cabs are comparible in size. The Ram's mega cab is ginormous, although the Ford seems to be wider inside.

Cab type Ram Crew Cab Ram Mega Cab F250 Screw
Head Room - Front 41.0" 41.0" 40.7"
Head Room - Rear 39.9" 40.3" 40.8"
Hip Room - Front 63.2" 63.2" 67.6"
Hip Room - Rear 63.2" 62.9" 67.6"
Leg Room - Front 41.0" 41.0" 41.1"
Leg Room - Rear 42.9" 43.3" 42.1"
Shoulder Room - Front 66.0" 65.9" 68.0"
Shoulder Room - Rear 65.7" 65.7" 68.0"

Last edited by JHamilton; 03-10-2011 at 11:09 PM.