DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: Looking
Rep:10
airborne89 is on a distinguished road
Default 2011 Ram 1500 advice before buying

I am currently looking at getting a new truck and have narrowed it down to either a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD crew cab ( not sure on model yet) or a 2011 Ford F-150 FX4 super crew with the new 5.0 engine.

My question here is... Why should I go with the Ram? I like the looks and will be test driving one tomorrow but what can the owners tell me? I've heard stuff about transmission issues, issues with the HEMI stalling and quality issues like window molding or interior plastic cracking. What is the truth about all this?

Several months ago I was looking to buy a performance car and narrowed it down to the 2011 Mustang GT and the 2010 Challenger SRT. I ended up going with the Mustang because the Challengers I looked at on the dealer lots were showing signs of cracked plastic and scratches all over the interior. I also heard about engine problems with the HEMI's then too.

Now for a truck I want to make sure I get the right one that is going to last me a very long time and get me everywhere I want to go and more importantly get me back. So educate me on the 2011 Ram 1500. I would really like to hear from guys that tested both the Ram and F-150 out and what they noticed. Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2011, 12:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:39
bigralphy is on a distinguished road

That was my exact dilemma as well. It took me forever to decide between Ram and F150 FX4. I decided to go with the ram as I liked the auto 4X4 transfer case. Ford does not offer this and where I live it is an asset for sure. I did not drive the new 5.0 Ford but the Hemi is insane with power. The milage seems to be the same as my 2008 5.3 Chevrolet. My only issues so far are rusting bumpers but I guess Im not alone.
The Ford had a rougher ride to me but had more clearance on the front bumper. I beleive Fords locking diff is probably better than the Dodge anti spin but I am not sure of this either. The interior of my Ram is not cracking and is still as solid as when I bought it.
To me the Ram looks better and performance was better so that is what I chose and I love it so far.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:49 AM

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: brillian black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:75
PorkChop will become famous soon enough

i drive all fords for work, and because of that i would never buy one, we have more of them in service than on the road, and yes alot of them are the lower grade ones with the bear basics, but there are a few of the high end ones and to me they just done have the power. i think its horrible that ford has such a high tow rating because though the frame may be able to handle it, the F150 CC shotbox with the 5.4, barely has enough power on the highway by itself, i actually refuse to pass because im scared with the lack of power. i have an 09 ram sport for 2 years now, ive had zreo issues with it for rust and cracking. a few of the bed molds warped, but they were replaced free of charge as there had been a bad batch. all in all, you put the ford and dodge next to each other and dodge looks better, nicery less cluttered interior and the for just cant keep up with the hemi!.

hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:59 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry
Rep:92
JHamilton will become famous soon enough

I think you will find similar complaints about Ford on their forums as well. All cars and trucks have their issues. I looked at Ford prior to buying mine and they are very nice. I didn't care for the interior... all the buttons on the dash, even with the navigation are not ergonomic and I didn't care for the styling. I love the 04-08 Fords however. My "parking pal" at work drives a '11 FX4 SCrew and it's a very nice truck. An FX4 does sit higher than my Laramie, but that is not really an apples to apples comparison. A Ram TRX4 will sit at about the same height.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Great info thanks. Looking forward to driving the Dodge tomorrow. The 5.0 in the F-150 is nice but still only has 360 HP and 380 TQ. I know the HEMI 5.7 has 390 HP but can't remember the TQ numbers right now.

I doubt I will be towing much with it. It will mostly be the daily driver, family vacation, trail vehicle for hunting and fishing. Some rough trails in Arizona so I need a dependable ride.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
My "parking pal" at work drives a '11 FX4 SCrew and it's a very nice truck. An FX4 does sit higher than my Laramie, but that is not really an apples to apples comparison. A Ram TRX4 will sit at about the same height.
I haven't seen any TRX4 Rams at the dealer site. Are they rare or do they have another name? I'd be interested in checking those out.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:07 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4X4
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:110
RAMTX will become famous soon enoughRAMTX will become famous soon enough

I drove a f150 for the last 5 years and had to spent money on mods to make it more powerful (lack of power especially when towing). After a trip to the ford dealer (prices are too high) and the truck didn't change too much and still having the plain dash, I give up the idea of buying a ford, and I get a Dodge with more options and better discount. I am very happy with this purchase and this is my first dodge and i will never be back to ford. lol

Last edited by RAMTX; 02-28-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:27 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry
Rep:92
JHamilton will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne89 View Post
I haven't seen any TRX4 Rams at the dealer site. Are they rare or do they have another name? I'd be interested in checking those out.
I'm sorry, it is under the "Outdoorsman" name for '11. They are relatively common, however, you can't get one loaded out (or at least with leather) like an FX4. If you want leather, you'll have to look at a sport. Sorry if I mislead you.

Good luck with your decision. I know it's a good one to make, as I recently went through the process myself. I looked at Dodge, Chevy, Ford, and Toyota and they are all quality products. You really can't go wrong IMO.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

living out in the desert
get the tow hooks
get the skid plate
get at least a 3.90 differentials, limited slip or posi

think about wheel size, 20s or 17" ( 17"s rims are less costly if you tear one up )
you don't need to take the tires that are factory stock, the dealer carries other brands

pick which radio/media center that YOU want, they can change it out before you sign on the dotted line. the cheaper basic radios don't have voice commands, touch screen, or NAVigation

i would go with the largest fuel tank, 32 gallons or more

in fact, make sure everything is written in the contract, before signing

this advice is for either brand of vehicle

Happy Hunting
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-28-2011, 01:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the advice. Tires was first on the list to see if I could change out.

I would prefer the sportsman without leather and if I could add the nav package with the alpine speakers and either back up sensors or camera it would work perfect for me.