DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-04-2014, 05:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: tradesman express
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
omarP is on a distinguished road

thanks getting use to this form thing. kinda tricky
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM357 View Post
Hi OmarP,

That post is a page back...

Here is a quick tip that will you get an answer to questions like this, and it also helps people understand what you're talking about.

Tip:

Anytime you come across a post such as post #544, that you wish to comment on, simply click on the QUOTE button below that particular post and it will open up a REPLY box with that post (544 in this example) already inserted.

Next just type your question below that quotation!

Hope this helps you in the future

Var
Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2014, 05:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: tradesman express
Color: black
omarP is on a distinguished road

I'm still confused over the whole BILSTEIN thing. do they do the same thing as a leveling kit? or is it just preference what ppl like more? & i still can't decide to go with a leveling kit & 35's or a 4" lift & 35's from some of the pics on here some of the leveling kits look really good like a lift & others look kinda to "stuffed" but went to the dodge dealership today to ask them about my warranty & they told me any lift will void it that i could only do a leveling kit & bigger tires kind of a bummer! really don't want to void my warranty so the leveling kit i was looking at was a 3" leveling kit on ebay are those good?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarP View Post
I'm still confused over the whole BILSTEIN thing. do they do the same thing as a leveling kit? or is it just preference what ppl like more? & i still can't decide to go with a leveling kit & 35's or a 4" lift & 35's from some of the pics on here some of the leveling kits look really good like a lift & others look kinda to "stuffed" but went to the dodge dealership today to ask them about my warranty & they told me any lift will void it that i could only do a leveling kit & bigger tires kind of a bummer! really don't want to void my warranty so the leveling kit i was looking at was a 3" leveling kit on ebay are those good?
Bilsteins are essentially a leveling kit if you want them to be. They're an adjustable strut that you can set to be longer rather than adding a spacer on top of your OEM strut. It's a cleaner, better way of leveling that will give you a better ride. Check out the Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing linked in my signature if you want more information on the Bilsteins compared to spacers.

Your dealership is wrong... no mod you do can void your warranty completely. Yes if you put a lift kit on the dealership isn't going to cover that or any parts that might fail prematurely because of the lift. But the rest of your truck will still be fully covered. Check out THIS thread for more information about aftermarket mods and warranty.

No a 3" leveling kit from eBay is not good... the highest you want to go on a 4wd truck is 2.8" and that's pushing it. Any higher and you're going to start running in to problems. If you want to go the cheaper route and just run spacers then take a look at Hell Bent Steels 2.5" spacers.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 02-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

To clear the above....Brandon is right. However the Bilsteins are not adjusted to be longer or shorter. Rather, there is a clip that you raise in increments on the specified grooves on the strut that lets your spring sit higher/lower on the shock. Again, this is dependent on where you set that clip
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 02-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly @ BP View Post
To clear the above....Brandon is right. However the Bilsteins are not adjusted to be longer or shorter. Rather, there is a clip that you raise in increments on the specified grooves on the strut that lets your spring sit higher/lower on the shock. Again, this is dependent on where you set that clip
By moving that clip higher up on the shock you are increasing the total length of the strut assembly by that amount. It pushes the lower shock cylinder down. So yes it's adjusted with that clip but the effect of it is making the strut longer.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 02-04-2014, 09:13 PM
R A M M S T E I N

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC Hemi
Trim Level: Sportabulous
Color: White
Rep:580
RAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to all

Do you have to uninstall or detach one end of the 5100's to adjust them?

Var

* 2014 RAM Sport CC* BDS 6" Suspension* Fox 2.5 Coil-over front * Fox 2.0 rear & Pro-Ride 3" coil* 3.92 Gearing* Fuel hostages in 20x9 +1
37x12.5R20 Pro Comp Xtreme MT2
* Diablo Sport Trinity T1000 * Cabin Air Filter
* ARH LT headers * Magnaflow catback/5" tips * 87mm Ported TB * Moroso Polished Catch Can*_QTP_electric_cutout_&_3"_turn_down * Legmaker Short Ram * S&B custom filter * Outerwears Pre-filter * Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau

Old 02-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 ram sport crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:61
thkbaron will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM357 View Post
Do you have to uninstall or detach one end of the 5100's to adjust them?

Var
You have to completely remove the struck. compress the spring and remove it from the strut, move the clip on the strut body and then reinstall the springs. Good idea to figure out where you want it first so you don't have to go through the process again. Plus you'll need to do an alignment again.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:33 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Yup. Pain in the ass if you set it wrong the first time and even more costly on your wallet should you not be able to do it yourself.

Shops here charge for 2.5-3 hours of labor to remove and re - install.
Then you more than likely have to go for an alignment to be sure if did not go out of wack.
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: white/silver
BigBrew is on a distinguished road
Default Leveling kit

Quote:
Yup. Pain in the ass if you set it wrong the first time and even more costly on your wallet should you not be able to do it yourself.

Then you more than likely have to go for an alignment to be sure if did not go out of wack.
I just put a 2" spacer kit on my struts and am pleased bc I'm just wanting to level it off, no tire upgrade plans for the moment but I do have a question about the alignment. I brought it to the dealer and asked prior to adding the spacers if there would be any warranty issues and as stated previously this mod wouldn't but even if I went with a total lift kit I would still have my warranty but they just wouldn't warranty any after market parts or problems caused by them and that would be determined by the dealer????? My question is after getting the dealer to do a front end alignment I'm noticing the camber (I guess that's what it's called, top and bottom of tire) the adjustment seems off if I'm looking at the front of the truck the tire isn't straight even with the back tire, it's towed out at the top, is that normal? I never noticed it before but I see it now since it's lifted about 2". Just curious, thanks for input.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:38 AM
R A M M S T E I N

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC Hemi
Trim Level: Sportabulous
Color: White
Rep:580
RAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkbaron View Post
You have to completely remove the struck. compress the spring and remove it from the strut, move the clip on the strut body and then reinstall the springs. Good idea to figure out where you want it first so you don't have to go through the process again. Plus you'll need to do an alignment again.
Quote:

Well that sucks! They should have done them like my Fox coil-overs. Special tool to just crank 'em. Increase the preload and up she goes. Same setup on my KTM's rear suspension. Infinite adjustment, within reason

Var

* 2014 RAM Sport CC* BDS 6" Suspension* Fox 2.5 Coil-over front * Fox 2.0 rear & Pro-Ride 3" coil* 3.92 Gearing* Fuel hostages in 20x9 +1
37x12.5R20 Pro Comp Xtreme MT2
* Diablo Sport Trinity T1000 * Cabin Air Filter
* ARH LT headers * Magnaflow catback/5" tips * 87mm Ported TB * Moroso Polished Catch Can*_QTP_electric_cutout_&_3"_turn_down * Legmaker Short Ram * S&B custom filter * Outerwears Pre-filter * Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau