DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2010 Dodge Ram HID Relay Harness Install

25K views 50 replies 16 participants last post by  Stump3r 
#1 ·
The first thing to do is remove the rad cover by taking up the 6 fastners. Leave the fastners in the cover and it will be a snap to put it back on.

Next remove the 4 screws holding the top of the grille. When you put it back on, the two small screws go in the center holes. Long screws go on the outside two holes. All the bolts and screws have 10MM heads.

Now relay hook up: the positive side to the battery terminal and the ground to the bolt just right of the battery

Next you run the long ballast power wire across the front of the radiator support to the other side of the truck.

The short ballast power supply runs straight down to the near headlight.

The next picture will let you get to the back of the headlights to remove them. It's just a pop fastener that you get out with a flathead screwdriver or wiggle it out by hand.

When you get it open, you have to slide the white tab up to unlock the back of the headlight housing. This is all in the owners manual cd on changing lightbulbs.

Next remove the two headlight screws on the front of the housing.
Pull the light out, insert the bulb. If it doesn't want to go in there, I just licked my finger and wiped it on the gasket to get it in there. Also some gentle pliar work can turn the bulb until it's locked. When you get the driver side light off, you have to remove the threaded cover on the back of the housing to access the light and plug for the bulb. The input of the relay harness goes on the driver side stock bulb plug. Mine wouldn't seat all the way, so I cut the plug off and hard wired it. The plug goes in like the stock bulb would.

I mounted the ballast on the metal piece right behind the headlight.

When you plug the ballast power wire from the relay harness, make sure the tabs are toward the outside of the ballast.

Use the two sided tape under it and wrap zip ties around it to keep it secure. I mounted them on both sides just like this and they haven’t budged.

The light bulb will have an extra set of unused wires. One end is supposed to be plugged into the stock light plug and run to the ballast. Your ballast will be powered by the harness and the stock light plug will just sit there. Now would be a good time for some electric tape over the stock plug to keep water out.

TEST BOTH SIDES BEFORE PUTTING EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER!!!! TRUCK OFF AND RUNNING!!!!

Now that the bulb is in hook it to the output wires off the ballast, remount your headlight. Lock the back side by pulling down on the white tab through the fender hole. Put the two screws back in the front. Remount your grille and recover the radiator! All done!
Make sure you get the two tabs at the bottom of the grille in the small slots, or it won't sit flush on the bumper.

See less See more
#2 ·
VERY nice.
Can you do me a favor though...
Can you read the ratings and such off the relay from the kit? I would GREATLY appreciate it...
Im positive the caps are screwing with the tpms sensors... one really, and it seems may be creating some "noise" in the ground... so i have to relay them up... I have plenty of cable and such, just didnt know the rating that was given at first.

And anyone know, if i get a H9 lamp, if it will run off the H11 ballast? not planning on doing it, but just wondering in general if the ballasts were lamp type specific.

Thanks!!!!

#7 ·
well the pics helped alot but I can't get them to work. I'm sure it has something to do with the wiring I just cant figure out what. I'm having a hard time getting the harness plugs into the light plugs. I don't know if it's not getting contact there or if it's the drivers side plug that you said wouldn't seat right. Mine isn't exactly snug either. Gotta go get my daughter and I guess I'll tear it all apart again when I get back!

#10 ·
well the pics helped alot but I can't get them to work. I'm sure it has something to do with the wiring I just cant figure out what. I'm having a hard time getting the harness plugs into the light plugs. I don't know if it's not getting contact there or if it's the drivers side plug that you said wouldn't seat right. Mine isn't exactly snug either. Gotta go get my daughter and I guess I'll tear it all apart again when I get back!
That is why I cut the plug off the harness side and fit it into the stock light plug, worked great after that. I didn't want to cut the factory bulb plug off.

#8 ·
great write up bud i hope it hepls out ppl trying to do this...it should cuz it seems pretty simple

#11 ·
update. Got them working sort of. Cut off the connector and hard wired. Lights came on. start the truck lights stay on. Turn lights off, restart truck, turn lights on, loud noise lots of dim flickering for about 6 seconds. noise goes off and drivers side light stay's on. Passenger side light goes out!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.