DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:14
dmsween is on a distinguished road
Default Door Ajar Light & Power Windows

Hi guys I'm new here
I replaced my drivers door latch because my door ajar light was staying on. I replace the latch and close the door to make sure everything is working and all is good.

Next I put the door panel back on and hook up the connectors for pw, pl and mirrors. When I close the door the door ajar light and interior lights are still staying on.

I pulled the connector off the new latch thats in the truck and hooked up the old latch and seated it on the door striker. The door ajar went out if the pw switch was not hook up. (same as the new latch) which means the original latch was fine.

Why would the pw switch cause a door ajar light?

If I hold one the window switches the light will go off.

I talked to a service tech at the dealer who thought it could be bad wiring somewhere. Maybe in the drivers side floor by the inside fuse box.

Could that whole drivers side pw/pl/pm switch be bad and causing this? Anyway to test that?

Thanks for your help guys.

Right now its all back together and I have just disconnected the power windows so everything else is working.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Problem with those switches is they're all one piece so no real way to tell without replacing the switch.

Most parts places including dealers don't allow returns on electrical components once they've been installed but it couldn't hurt to talk to the parts guy at the dealer and explain that you need to test a new switch to see if it cures the problem.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 01-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I stopped in at the dealer on Friday and talked to the parts guy and service guy. They had the driver switch module in stock and he said they were no returns on opened parts. They didn't seam to think it was the switch, they thought it was wiring somewhere else, which it could be.

With the all doors closed and the key in the ignition if I plug in the drivers power window switch the door ajar light will come on and the inside lights will come on. If I unplug that switch the lights go off. This is the only thing I'm doing which leads me to believe it is the switch.

If it was electrical somewhere else I would think it would be more intermittent.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

After talking to a couple different techs at dodge dealerships we've come to the conclusion that it is not the drivers door switch. One looked through wiring diagrams and for my model year no wires we used on both circuits. What they do think is that the wires (probably in the A pillar connection) are rubbing together and it they are grounding the wire next to it. For now I plan on leaving it alone but when its a little warmer out I'll have to do some more digging and see if I can find the messed up wires.