DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > MDS

Notices

MDS Multi Displacement System Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: chrome
Color: red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:60
Freightrain will become famous soon enough

So let me understand this, if I push the minus and plus symbol at the same time after I put manually put it in 5th it will shift normally. Can you shift it manually to 5th gear when your in park? Ive been manually getting it to the max gear I want then hitting the tow button. This shifts like you mention. Just manually shifting by itself is kinda cool also, escpecially if your getting on it. If this is wrong please clarify.

"The End is Near, I'm just gonna get there a little faster"

Volant CAI, 4" Nerfs, Tonneau Pro Cover, 18" Magnaflo, more to come
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2011, 12:08 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

If you put it in 5th and leave it there, it will shift down to 1 and up to that gear all by itself. You just won't see the number change on the display. But it disables the MDS according to the Engineers.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 01-30-2011, 09:12 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Holleywud is on a distinguished road

Has anyone tried to find out what their fuel mileage is with and without MDS? Just curious. I have a very short commute and I get 10 mpg. The MDS seems like a joke in SouthWestern PA with it's endless hills. I'm going to track my mileage on the next tank and see what happens. Good info RootBeer!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:38 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Sport Reg Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Reg Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:178
rdsabin has a spectacular aura aboutrdsabin has a spectacular aura about

I did the other day going to the VAMC in Mpls, MN. It is about 196 mile round trip and going up I shut MDS off using the +/- 5th gear setting. According to the EVIC I averaged 16.3 mpg and it was 8 degrees out and I ran 70 all the way. On the return trip I reset the gas mileage and drove with MDS on and received a 14.8 mpg, the temperature was 12 degrees when I drove home. All I can say is the truck feels more responsive and doesn't get any drone in the exhaust with MDS shut off. By the way this is the best mileage I have gotten all winter by shutting off the MDS as I alway ran it before. I also notice a 250 rpm difference between MDS and no MDS at 70 mph. If I were to run at 55 mph then the mpg's go way up but that is not my driving style.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 gmc sierra
Trim Level: sle
Color: metalic burgandy
lightspeed is on a distinguished road

Dont Want To Sound Stupid But What Is The MDS???
Old 02-06-2011, 07:55 PM
The official Z night owl

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500 SLT C.C.
Color: Brilliant Black Pearlcoat
Rep:946
Juice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holleywud View Post
Has anyone tried to find out what their fuel mileage is with and without MDS? Just curious. I have a very short commute and I get 10 mpg. The MDS seems like a joke in SouthWestern PA with it's endless hills. I'm going to track my mileage on the next tank and see what happens. Good info RootBeer!
The difference is slightly lower mpg's without MDS, but not enough for me to go back to it. Frankly I hate it. The truck seems sluggish and the drone is a PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeed View Post
Dont Want To Sound Stupid But What Is The MDS???
It automatically disables 4 cylinders to save gas. It might get you an extra 1-2 mpg.

Justin
Black Mamba- Flowmaster 40 series, Airaid CAI, 20% tint, GTO taillight covers, ATA nerfs, AVS in-channel ventvisors, Curt hitch receiver, Extang Revolution Tonneau, EZ-down tailgate damper, Recon smoked 3rd brake light, Custom painted engine cover

Black Mamba's Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 gmc sierra
Trim Level: sle
Color: metalic burgandy
lightspeed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice420 View Post
The difference is slightly lower mpg's without MDS, but not enough for me to go back to it. Frankly I hate it. The truck seems sluggish and the drone is a PITA.

It automatically disables 4 cylinders to save gas. It might get you an extra 1-2 mpg.
Thats What I Thought Thanks
Old 02-06-2011, 08:43 PM

Trim Level: ST 1500 Quad Cab
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:79
M n M will become famous soon enough

Reading all this makes me happy that I could not afford to get a 5.7 Hemi. All I hear is how crappy it is and how it doesn't save you any gas mileage. You'd think that Dodge would make MDS an option not standard. Or perhaps install an easy button on the dash that turns it on and off just like the tow/haul button.

I wonder how may tuners are going up for sale now that this info is out??
Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 PM
The official Z night owl

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500 SLT C.C.
Color: Brilliant Black Pearlcoat
Rep:946
Juice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by M n M View Post
Reading all this makes me happy that I could not afford to get a 5.7 Hemi. All I hear is how crappy it is and how it doesn't save you any gas mileage. You'd think that Dodge would make MDS an option not standard. Or perhaps install an easy button on the dash that turns it on and off just like the tow/haul button.

I wonder how may tuners are going up for sale now that this info is out??
Ummm I still love my Hemi, and I'm sure everyone else that has one does too. It's not the Hemi that sucks, it's the MDS. And you CAN disable it if you want without buying a tuner. Also, the MDS does save gas mileage. I'd rather have the Hemi over any other RAM engine. I seriously would have been disappointed if I bought the 4.7.

Justin
Black Mamba- Flowmaster 40 series, Airaid CAI, 20% tint, GTO taillight covers, ATA nerfs, AVS in-channel ventvisors, Curt hitch receiver, Extang Revolution Tonneau, EZ-down tailgate damper, Recon smoked 3rd brake light, Custom painted engine cover

Black Mamba's Thread

Last edited by Juice420; 02-06-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 PM

Trim Level: ST 1500 Quad Cab
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:79
M n M will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice420 View Post
Ummm I still love my Hemi, and I'm sure everyone else that has one does too. It's not the Hemi that sucks, it's the MDS. And you CAN disable it if you want without buying a tuner. Also, the MDS does save gas mileage. I'd rather have the Hemi over any other RAM engine. I seriously would have been disappointed if I bought the 4.7.
Let me clarify, I'm not bashing the 5.7 Hemi, just the MDS.

And I am in no way disappointed in my 310HP 4.7