DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram 1500 4x4
Color: silver/chrome
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:101
sobercrew will become famous soon enoughsobercrew will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to sobercrew Send a message via Skype™ to sobercrew

I will try to make it but i cant make any promises

NEW SIG PIC YAY
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: Big Horn or Sport
Color: Black
Rep:10
raydulce is on a distinguished road

sounds great! I can think of a bunch of good questions!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:25 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

This is awesome . Are they looking for feedback from us ?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:58 PM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM
Trim Level: BIG HORN
Color: AUSTIN TAN
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:16
sprintertech is on a distinguished road

interesting!
CMR TUNED(tweeked),K&N DROP IN, MODDED AIR BOX, NITROUS EXPRESS 150 SHOT, ARH 1 7/8 LONG TUBES NO CATS, BORLA XR-1, PRO TORQUE 2800 STALL, 4.56 GEARS, MOPAR LSD, ADJUSTABLE REAR LOWER CONTROL ARMS RELOCATED UNDER AXLE, GREDDY CATCH CAN, STICK PEOPLE IN REAR WINDOW......12.97@108...SOLD
Old 12-08-2010, 12:31 AM

Vehicle: 1989 Dodge Ram 50
Trim Level: Standard
Color: Primered Black
Rep:71
Ram50Man will become famous soon enough

hmmm seing as how i drive a 89 Ram, my questions might be a bit outdated!... lol but i will try to attend anyways, maybe a new Ram is in my future! i notice them everywhere when i drive now, and its like DAM THATS NICE.... i want one!... lol
Old 12-08-2010, 03:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crewcab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Aussieincalgary is on a distinguished road

Would have liked to, but it will be 4:30 pm here in Calgary, and I'll still be at work, probably fixing some broken down Gm or Ford product, but knowing I'll be able to drive my Ram home afterwards.... tee hee....

Dear Silver Eagle, would you like rotors that wear out quicker, or hard noisy squealing brakes with asbestor pads, we aren't in the 1980's any more, I can't comment on the rotors you have as you didn't give much info of your concerns, but I presume that you presume they are cheap because they haven't behaved as you expected, have you had the hardness tested and the uniformity of the grain examined (yes metal does have grain under a microscope), as a mechanic I have had no issues with the brakes on my 2009 Ram even when towing our 26 foot trailer, and they can pull the truck up quicker than a lot of vehicles nearly half the weight. If you explain your situation in detail then as a few of us are technicians we could probably give you some clarity.

Here's a question someone may want to ask the engineers regarding the MDS, why is it that before the Hemi reaches op' temp I can cruise uphill at 30 -50km/h (ambient air temp 10 degrees celcius or colder), with the MDS coming in, and yet cruising at 90 km/h on a flat road with no headwind and once in MDS will jump back out if I happen to so much as twitch my foot (ambient temp could be 30 or minus 30 doesn't seem to make much difference).
I know there is a software update for those who complain that the MDS engage/disengage is too noticable for their liking (Pussy's), I actually prefer some "Feel" and the 4 cylinder rumble lets me know that it's engaged, and I can even tell now when it's about to come in, it almost sounds like it's 1/2 in or running on 6 cylinders.

Also, when are we going to finally see a smaller diesel for the 1500's, that could also be used in Derango's Jeeps and Dakota's etc.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crewcab
Color: Blue
Aussieincalgary is on a distinguished road

Ok, One more question for the engineer guys.

I know a lot of work has gone into the transmission and I understand some of the reasons why it may be so (a mechanic that also spent three years as an engineering department quality assurance inspector at a transmission factory in Australia).
This has to do with the tow/haul feature, when towing our 26ft travel trailer, trailer and water/load etc (including weekend bagage for one wife and two daughters....) equals around 5500 lb's, I'm pretty happy with the way the truck pulls it, except when sitting at around 90 - 100km/hr we hit a bit of a rise, and instead of easing out of lockup, back and then holding 4th (not labouring much, hardly seems it's working hard at all), when it hits 80 km/h it drops back to 3rd, and the poor engine is running almost 4000rpm a jump of around 1,300 rpm, so I back the foot off, let it run at 70km/h until the road levels out and then it decides to upshift which is a fairly long 1-2 seconds, kinda reminds me of the old Gm powerglides when they were worn, however on subsequent trips on the same road and other similar grades (not steep) I drop it into normal shift mode and she pulls up the hill no worries in 4th and even 4th TCC lockup.

(Yes.... I can hear you all.... you know who you are.... you Diesel guys with the 2 story tri-axle 5th wheels that round me up doing 130km/h.... P ...)

Now, is this because the shift patterns were designed for the possibility of heavier trailers than what I'm pulling??? If so, are there any worries with me just leaving it in normal mode, which then becomes a bit painful because it presumes I'm not towing and the MDS and 5th TCC lockup plays havok as they come in and out all the time.
I've learnt to drive it between the two and doesn't worry me that much, but am still curious.

Cheers all and have a good meeting

Last edited by Aussieincalgary; 12-08-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Briliant Black
Rep:463
BigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of lightBigHorn 4 Life is a glorious beacon of light

This sucks.I have to work tomorrow night.Could one of you ask them for me, Why some of the 4th Gen 1500's have such a huge rake and some don't??

Please????
Old 12-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: XLT
Color: Molten Red and Silver
Silver Eagle is on a distinguished road

I hope they get this. How come Dodge hasn't recalled the hemi Engine to fix the Hemi Tick. I understand that if they replace the rear two bolts on each side the Tick goes away. When I mention it to my Dodge servive Dept. they say they don't know anything about it.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: XLT
Color: Molten Red and Silver
Silver Eagle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieincalgary View Post
Would have liked to, but it will be 4:30 pm here in Calgary, and I'll still be at work, probably fixing some broken down Gm or Ford product, but knowing I'll be able to drive my Ram home afterwards.... tee hee....

Dear Silver Eagle, would you like rotors that wear out quicker, or hard noisy squealing brakes with asbestor pads, we aren't in the 1980's any more, I can't comment on the rotors you have as you didn't give much info of your concerns, but I presume that you presume they are cheap because they haven't behaved as you expected, have you had the hardness tested and the uniformity of the grain examined (yes metal does have grain under a microscope), as a mechanic I have had no issues with the brakes on my 2009 Ram even when towing our 26 foot trailer, and they can pull the truck up quicker than a lot of vehicles nearly half the weight. If you explain your situation in detail then as a few of us are technicians we could probably give you some clarity.

Here's a question someone may want to ask the engineers regarding the MDS, why is it that before the Hemi reaches op' temp I can cruise uphill at 30 -50km/h (ambient air temp 10 degrees celcius or colder), with the MDS coming in, and yet cruising at 90 km/h on a flat road with no headwind and once in MDS will jump back out if I happen to so much as twitch my foot (ambient temp could be 30 or minus 30 doesn't seem to make much difference).
I know there is a software update for those who complain that the MDS engage/disengage is too noticable for their liking (Pussy's), I actually prefer some "Feel" and the 4 cylinder rumble lets me know that it's engaged, and I can even tell now when it's about to come in, it almost sounds like it's 1/2 in or running on 6 cylinders.

Also, when are we going to finally see a smaller diesel for the 1500's, that could also be used in Derango's Jeeps and Dakota's etc.

When I got my truck new only after 1600 miles the rear brake on the right side had deep groves in it. I took it back to the dealer .They said it was normal wear.Then after I told them the brakes were chattering in the front I got the same answer. So before the 12,000 were up I went back a fourth time and they replaced the front rotors and pads. They did nothing to the rear rotors. Last year I finally got tired with fighting with Dodge and I went to a Wholesale warehouse locally and got heavy duty rotors and Pads. No more problems. They were made by Raybestos. total cost less then $500.00 installed and not by Dodge.It's not just Dodge that has the problem Both of my PT Cruisers have had the same problems in the front. All have been replaced with Raybestos rotors and Pads.

Last edited by Silver Eagle; 12-08-2010 at 08:10 PM.