DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:10
scottdutton is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Door Ajar Light & Power Windows Problem.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel. (4 door)

Problem started about a year ago.

1 - Intermittent problem with Front Passenger window. Passenger could roll window down but not up with passenger side control. Driver side control could roll passenger window both up & down.

Problem started about 3 months ago.

2 - Intermittent Door Ajar light stays on when engine is off and all 4 doors are shut. However, when the engine running & all for doors are shut the door ajar light goes off.
3 - Less intermittently, while driving, the door locks will start cycling over and over again and the door ajar light flashes. This problem seems to happen most often when driving at night with the headlights on.

Problem started about a month ago.

4 - Intermittent problem with all window switches not working except driver side master control. Drive side control was the only way to roll all windows up and down. This only happened once. Since then, all switches have worked fine.

Things that I have tried to remedy the problem with no success.
1 - Sprayed lots of WD40 on all 4 door latch assemblies and opened and slammed all 4 doors repeatedly. (No Luck)
2 - Replaced all 4 door latch assemblies. (No Luck)
3 - Pulled boot between all doors and truck and checked for broken wires or shorts. All wires seemed good except one bare wire on rear driver side door. It didn't look broke so I rapped black tap around it. (No Luck)

Strange thing that I noticed.
While driving, if both of the rear windows are rolled up all the way and I then push up on both back window switches at the same time it causes the door locks to cycle.

I am thinking that I must have a short somewhere but I don't know how to go about checking for one. I have a Haynes manual and I looked at the wiring schematic but for some reason the colors of the wires are different. I was also wondering if maybe the drivers side door control panel is malfunctioning.

Please help. This problem is driving me crazy. I need to fix this problem on my own because I can't afford to pay the dealership to fix it at this time.
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Problem 1 sounds like a bad passenger side window switch. Easy enough to fix.

Problem 4 sounds like an intermittent problem with the lockout part of the master switch. Again, replacing the switch is an easy fix.

Problems 2 & 3 could very well be an instrument cluster problem. The lock drivers are located here.