DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram Forum Polls!

Notices

Dodge Ram Forum Polls! Get Your Vote On!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: What gas companies do you use?
Shell 78 33.48%
Exxon 15 6.44%
Chevron 27 11.59%
Others 113 48.50%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Shell, exclusively.
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

I use primarily Chevron.

This topic comes up periodically, either brand, octane, or both. I'll quoteing a message I posted last time that I think is helpful if anyone is interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSHSLAX View Post
As for the octane issue, my understanding is that there is no need to run a higher octane than what is needed by your engine/tune etc. The higher octane usually has more addatives to improve the anti-knock (read as anti-preignition) properties. Because of these addatives it is actually likely that there is a slighty (although generally unnoticable) reduction in fuel economy. The advantage is that this gasoline can be used in an engine that is running hotter (as race tuned engines typically do) without the heat causing preignition. The result is that a vehichle that requires 87 usually see's no benifit from 89, or 93, or whatever because they arent opperating at a high enough temp for it to matter. Having said that, if randy says the ECM in the hemi compesates for 89 octane (ostensable increaseing output to take advantage of the higher octane gas?) I would belive it. He is very knowedgable about such things.

The question of brand is a whole different ball of wax and reappears periodically. The truth of the matter is that brand, like octane, almost always boils down to addatives. The gasoline at all your local stations is likely received from the same regional pump station or distributer. Some major cities have more than one, but the principle is the same. In reality the gasoline at all the stations is the same (or at least of unknown quaility). The difference between what you get at each stations is what addatives are added before the tanker rolls out of the distribution center. This is where there are some significant difference. The addative I am talking about here are all essentially detergents. These help prevent engine "sludge", etc., that we have all heard so much about from commercially. While this detergent actually reduced milage as well, it is again my such a negligable amount that it's not worth worrying about. This detergent issue is actually important enough that a group of large auto manucaturers have banded together to publish a list of "Top Tier" gasoline retailers based on the quailty of their detergents. I won't rehash all the requirements but you can read them and get a list of top tier retailers at this link:

http://www.toptiergas.com/

For my money the best addative is Techron (based on reviews I've read) produced by Chevron. Chevron also sells this addative to Texaco and Shell. You will see Techron advertised by Chevron (and now Texaco as they were purchased by Chevron) on their signs and in their commercials, but not by Shell. The reason for this is that Chevron sells the detergent to Shell but does not license them to use the name. This used to be the case with Texaco as well until Chevron purchased them.

The other consideration in terms of station is how well the company will stand behind their product if there is a problem. I got some bad gas at a loves truck stop south of toledo about a month ago that must have had some water in it. The result was that I ended up having to walk back up I-75 to the station at 3:00am and got nothing but the run around from them. I ended up buying two bottles of dry gas and catching a ride back to the truck. I poured the dry gas in and the problem corrected itself immediately. I've heard of other who had similar problem with gas from big name fuel companies, the difference was that they were immediately taken care of. Now I don't usually fill up at this type of station, but at 3am in the middle of northern ohio you don't always get much selection.

This turned into more of a novel than I intended but I hope it helps some folks out.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:09 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

In my area the price of gas can be .15 different within a 4 mile radius . I usually get my gas at Wawa . I use to get it at Citgo , but their out of this world now .
Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Costco is my norm. Usually .05 to .10 less than anywhere else. Unfortunately they only have 87 and 93 octane.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 10-19-2010, 09:23 PM

Vehicle: 07 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:68
moparmike07 will become famous soon enough

shell bp or mobil whatever cheaper or i just go to nj where is dirt cheap

2007 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5 percent tint all around 35 percent windshield, ported tb, diablo sport, arh headers, magnaflow dual exhaust, magnaflow y pipe, krc210x cam,nitrous,CNC ported head. 4.56 motive
Old 10-19-2010, 09:26 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: True Blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:851
RockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to beholdRockyRam is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to RockyRam

Speedway, unless I'm low and need it quick, then its wherever the heck the closest one is!

Have a Gray Ram?? Join the Mineral Gray Metallic Ramz Group!!!
http://www.ramforumz.com/group.php?groupid=21

"Rocky and Bullwinkle"
Old 10-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
FERNMAN is on a distinguished road

Shell because it makes my truck run like a ninja turtle.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

At home i use BP, if i am on a trip, i use what is handy, usually truck stop gas
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-21-2010, 05:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram RCLB - Auto
Color: Green/silver
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:27
M0PARMGNUM is on a distinguished road

Shell and chevron, i find myself mostly going to shell tho because its the most convenient when im out and about around here.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:41 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 2500 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: WHITE
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:21
gtfloyd is on a distinguished road

I use Phillips or Quik Trip. I prefer Phillips gasoline and quik trip has amazing soda fountains. lol so when I travel I keep an eye out for em.