DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

^^ see two posts above

Sponsored links
Old 06-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
screagle is on a distinguished road
Default afe full metal power stage 2 cai

Heya There all, I'm fairly new to the scene and mostly a computer geek so I hope I don't annoy people with too many stupid questions...I was curious if anyone had tried out this cai and what their thoughts were on it...product # F2-02001...
Old 07-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005
csmothers is on a distinguished road

I have run K&N and Vararam. I monitored air intake temp sensor with superchip tuner data logging and compared with overhead outside temp. K&N ran 25 to 40 degrees hotter than outside temp. Vararam reads 5 to 10 degrees hotter than outside temp. I occasionally do 1/4 mile runs using superchip tuner to record times and with the K&N I usually got high 14 second results. Put on the Vararam and ran 14.69 first run and afterwards remembered I had 200 lbs of work material in the bed. Truck is actually quieter with the Vararam than the K&N which is fine with me. I sacrificed my fog lights for air intake entrance and routed the intake tubes in front of the fender wells which makes for a clean install, no running by the oil filter. I found a couple of 6" PVC drain fixtures with chrome ring/screw holes at Home Depot and painted them black, laid some window screen over the 6" intake tubing and pushed onto the drain fixture, clamped and bolted thru 1 of the holes that the fog light was attached to. Aims the ducts straight forward. I agree the Vararam feels kind of flimsy but I took my time and built my own mounting bracket that bolts to compressor bolt and goes to the large "hood latch with the clip" that keeps the Vararam lid shut and the whole setup is rock solid feeling and does not move or flop around.

Last edited by csmothers; 07-05-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:16 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Tradesman, 2013 Express
Color: Silver Tradesman, White Express
Rep:39
roo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHemi View Post
Or, you could opt for the 100% enclosed 100% cold air system that already comes with the truck,,, $0.00
Couldn't of said it better!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:41 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:963
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer View Post
True about the heat shield, however the brands that are fully enclosed and get their air from outside the engine compartment provide significantly cooler/colder air. This results in increased performance and efficiency.
Although I agree with cooler air from the outside theory has its slight advantage, have you ever tried to put your hand around your air intake tube or box that hovers above the right side exhaust manifold after running your engine a long while? Try it after a two hour trip please? Almost too hot to handle. I doubt that the 100 plus degree outside air flowing in from the fender well is substantially any better than an air filter positioned in front of the engine and or radiator just behind the front grill assembly. But to each his own. Whatever it takes to sell a product is great marketing I always say. Hell, I'm a big believer in tuners and exhaust mods as well. JM2P's.

Last edited by Gantman; 07-12-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:33 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Tradesman, 2013 Express
Color: Silver Tradesman, White Express
Rep:39
roo is on a distinguished road

Under hood temp is considerably higher than 100 degree outside temps.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:34 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge 4X4 (HULK SMASH)
Trim Level: SLT Lone Star 4x4
Color: Gun Metal Grey
HULK is on a distinguished road

only if there was some way to reserculate the A/C from the cab of the truck to the intake. Now that would be a true CAI.

Im still trying to figure something out
Old 07-19-2013, 01:11 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Austin Tan Pearl &Lt. Graystone Pearl
Rep:27
theweavman is on a distinguished road

Very intetesting concept, perhaps something auto makers might want to consider, seems like some ducting and a control valve with a bi pass system would do it
Old 07-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK View Post
only if there was some way to reserculate the A/C from the cab of the truck to the intake. Now that would be a true CAI.

Im still trying to figure something out

I read someone tried something similar back in the late 90's. Moved the A/C evap into the intake system to act as a psudo intercooler. If I remember correctly the power gained from the cooler air was roughly equivalent to the power lost from running the A/C on the dyno. Ended up being a wash. I wish I could find where it was, it was a well written article. Curious to see if technology has caught up enough to make it a worthwhile mod (I doubt it).

I think this type of mod would fall along the lines of the tuners that used to spray liquid CO2 on their intercoolers during runs at the strip. Yes it dropped temps substantially and picked up a few HP, but then again the bottle, mount and plumbing equaled more than a few pounds that had to be pushed down the track as well.

Last edited by battlerattle; 07-19-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 5.7 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry
SOCALSPORT is on a distinguished road

Does anybody know how the Mopar CAI compares to these aftermarket brands. My truck is a lease and the dealership told me anything else would void the warranty on the motor. I know it's a bullshit excuse to get me to buy more of their products. I've had K&N of previous auto's and think they're great. They also told me I needed to stay with Mopar for my muffler, I didn't know Mopar offered Magna Flow type exhaust. Any comments appreciated.