DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 06 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Edition
Color: Dark Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Trublue is on a distinguished road

My mpg got a lot worse with a Superchip tuner and AFE CAI, they make my truck touchy on the gas pedal causing me to use more gas to get my truck moving, I also carry about 500lbs a day in it for work. So I went from the 15-18mpg range to the 12-16mpg range. But like I once heard "friends don't let friends drive stock"......
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
My mpg got a lot worse with a Superchip tuner and AFE CAI, they make my truck touchy on the gas pedal causing me to use more gas to get my truck moving, I also carry about 500lbs a day in it for work. So I went from the 15-18mpg range to the 12-16mpg range. But like I once heard "friends don't let friends drive stock"......
That's strange....wonder if you were just giving it more pedal enjoying the more power? I definitely get at a minimum 1mpg better with my superchips on 91 or 93 tune. I'd say more like 2 and MAYBE even 3 better, but 3 might be a stretch. I was running the 91 tune because I was getting some pinging with 93 and a load, but went back to the 93 tune and as long as I don't have any weight in the truck it's fine....not really a noticeable difference over the 91 tune though.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Dolsiac is on a distinguished road

I will admit I do have a lead foot at times but honestly my main trip to work is at 4am so I am very gentle with the truck then as im halfway asleep still. Also was wondering wouldnt it be better to run an 89 tune instead of the 91 as if you use 91 even if you get better mpg it doesnt matter as you pay more for the higher octane. I have never used anything less than 91 but already putting 400 miles on my truck in the first 3 days has made me think a 89 tune would be best and a good 91 for when its a nice day out and I want to burn 80$ or so. Also I ended up getting the k&n drop in filter and will most likely modify the intake tube to remove the ridges and see how that works. Didnt really notice a difference yet minus my bank account being down 55$.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:37 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
I will admit I do have a lead foot at times but honestly my main trip to work is at 4am so I am very gentle with the truck then as im halfway asleep still. Also was wondering wouldnt it be better to run an 89 tune instead of the 91 as if you use 91 even if you get better mpg it doesnt matter as you pay more for the higher octane. I have never used anything less than 91 but already putting 400 miles on my truck in the first 3 days has made me think a 89 tune would be best and a good 91 for when its a nice day out and I want to burn 80$ or so. Also I ended up getting the k&n drop in filter and will most likely modify the intake tube to remove the ridges and see how that works. Didnt really notice a difference yet minus my bank account being down 55$.
Well I found that whether I run 87 with stock tune, or 93 with 93 performance tune, the cost/mile basically evens out, I get better mpg with 93 but pay more. The benefit is the added power. I think with your hemi you are supposed to run 89 even stock right? The 93 performance usually gives the best mpg, but like you said you pay more. I think the only way to beat the cost/mile of the performance tune is to possibly run the mileage tunes, but I never even tried this.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:05 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn quad cab
Color: Bright White
Rep:112
Jixer will become famous soon enoughJixer will become famous soon enough

Quick question on a new CAI. Do I HAVE to disconnect the battery for the computer to re-program the air flow, or willl the computer re-program on it's own? I really don't want to reset everything on the radio, so if I don't have to disconnect the battery, I won't. Thanks

K&N series 63 CAI - 22" Magnaflow muffler - MyGiG Lockpick V.4 - Rhino spray in bedliner - Truxedo LoPro tonneau cover - front and rear view cameras - side steps - tow hooks - skid plates - slush mats
Old 09-02-2011, 03:14 PM

You don't have to disconnect the battery, the computer will adjust. Only need to reset the computer if you have an issue afterwards or it seems like it's not performing well.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:17 PM

Great, thanks Snrusnak. It is on the truck for delivery and will be installed after 10 pm tonite when I get home from work. By the way, nice mod thread I read yesterday on your truck!!

K&N series 63 CAI - 22" Magnaflow muffler - MyGiG Lockpick V.4 - Rhino spray in bedliner - Truxedo LoPro tonneau cover - front and rear view cameras - side steps - tow hooks - skid plates - slush mats
Old 09-02-2011, 03:20 PM

Cool, what kind did you get? Take some pics

...and thanks!

Old 09-02-2011, 03:35 PM

K&N...I was gonna play around a little with some teasers, but now ya know. Got my y-pipe yesterday, and the Magnaflow and K&N are on the truck for delivery today. Pics to follow on a mod thread, but exhaust won't be til next week.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:39 PM

Oh no! I didn't mean to blow your cover