DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:530
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011blackpearl View Post
If you gain 20hp then your time slip will show it. More HP equals lower et. I have talked to many a drag racer that put on a CAI to go quicker and when they saw no gain at all then their cai was on ebay the next week. If you can show me a back to back comparison (4 or 5 lap avg) on our trucks in the 1/8th or 1/4 mile with same driver with NOTHING to lose by what he says (ex. already spent the money and wants justify it..lol) and give me a money back gurantee if I am unable to replicate the results then I will be the first in line to buy it......
It's a supporting mod, certainly not going to get 20hp on its own.
I have added several similar bolt-on mods and dropped 10ths off my ET's every time.
If anything made the truck run significantly slower it most certainly would have been discarded and returned to stock.

I track test the crap out of everything I've installed.

With stock intake I ran 15.3/92, about 150 passes later and several supporting mods later ...
I'm down to 14.4/94 on my 20's and 13.8/98 on my DR's (RCSB 4x4 w/3.55's)
...still have not tested the new TB or TC yet, Headers have not shipped yet.

FWIW, my very first Dyno was just last Friday, only 309hp and 348ft/lbs torque...barely 20hp over stock.
I've seen guys with stock 4G's post much higher Dyno numbers, but I'll bet not many of them have a 13 second track slip.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 08-15-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 08-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
2011blackpearl is on a distinguished road
Default nice

Nice et with hp numbers you have for sure. I agree as a supportive item when you add other items that need the extra air. Now add headers and you will see an increase. Then you may need the cai (more out needs more in). However you and I both know that saying " add this item and you get 10-20 hp more" is alot of times...well...u know. Would you be so eager to buy it if they said you gain 1 or 2 hp for 400 and then only at 3k to 4k rpm? If you want power add NOS for $600 and get 100hp (not 1 hp) whenever you want it. If you just like the sound and the cost is ok to you then sure. We all like to smile when we drive. Hate to see anyone waste money if it is not needed. Just sayin....

Too bad you just can't put on 14" x 5" filter like we do on the old cars. For alot less than 400$ like in my velle...

Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
HOOAHHemi is on a distinguished road

Well put Rootbeer! I have a 77 Series K&N on my '06 HEMI. Always been a fan of K&N.
6'' BDS Suspension w/ Fox 2.0 rear shocks, Bilstein 5100 adjustables up front, 17'' XD Addict wheels, 37x12.5 Nitto Trail Grappler MTs, Diablosport inTune, K&N 77 Series intake, Flowmaster 10 Series SIDO, Mag-Hytec diff cover, Rumble Bee hood, one piece aluminum grill, Extang Trifecta.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 08 Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Big Horn
Color: Electric Blue Pearl
Rep:119
ICEMAN99TURBO will become famous soon enoughICEMAN99TURBO will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ICEMAN99TURBO Send a message via Yahoo to ICEMAN99TURBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
They are a direct replacement to the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds,
Maintain stock Cats on both sides in the stock position.

Here's some before/after shots on a 3G Hemi

http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/engin...o_numbers.html

Them are a thing of beauty... Might have to do some more research and some green for my exhaust.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 06 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Edition
Color: Dark Blue
Trublue is on a distinguished road

I just installed a AFE CAI and it acts more like a WARM air intake not impressed at all, going to have to do some modding to it or in front of it.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:44
The Codes is on a distinguished road

I think my K&N is doing the same thing, was happy at it at first, until I found out about the volant which is fully enclosed and has a ram air option.... -_- need to sell this k&n..lol
Old 08-24-2011, 03:30 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I just wanted to add to this as I saw earlier in the thread someone posted temperature results. I've been monitoring the IAT sensor temperature over the last week and noticed my results are similar somewhat but also vary somewhat. First of all I have a stock intake, with the airaid MIT tube, and drop in airaid dry filter. It has been VERY hot here lately in central florida as well. On a cold start the sensor will be anywhere from 80 deg to near 100 deg. While driving (about 30-60mph) it stays around 98-100 deg. While stop and go in traffic it has gone up to as high as about 115 deg. I haven't sat for an extended period of time and would anticipate like the other guy it wouldn't go past about 120 or 130 deg. After sitting for a while, it takes about 2 or so miles, sometimes more or less to bring the temp back down, and it doesn't happen fast, it will slowly crawl back down. It seems to rise faster than it falls. I eventually want to do a ram air setup, and anticipate it will run somewhere around 5 to 15 deg cooler across the board except when sitting still.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:25 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Austin Tan Pearl &Lt. Graystone Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
theweavman is on a distinguished road

Thanks to everyone who has tested or researched this issue, I must conclude however the following: If you are a racer, or if your competing in NASCAR, the every degree of temp may become important... However, for the majority of us who drive there Trucks everyday, in all kinds of weather, and under lot of varying conditions ie: off road, snow, towing etc... I doubt that the difference between let's say 95 or 110 degrees, would make a significant difference in our Trucks performance... Underhood temps, and anything that travels thru or resides there will get warm to hot.. Moving air will almost always be cooler than stagnet air... But intake tubes, boxes, throttle body's, intake manifolds etc will all get hot once the engine has reached operating temp....and the air in contact with any of those parts will also gain heat... I know everyone wants as much benifit from there performance dollar as possible, but, open or closed, plastic or metal, I doubt really makes any significant difference... It's far more about restricted air intake flow, than just temp... A larger less restrictive filter and a larger and smoother air flow path is the real goal in CAI systems...Any temp reduction is an added little bonus...and if one system is 8-10 degrees hotter or colder, you will never know the difference.... Unless, like I said, your totally into racing only
Old 08-24-2011, 04:45 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Satin Orange
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

Good post. Sounds like i am on the right track with my CAI setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theweavman View Post
A larger less restrictive filter and a larger and smoother air flow path is the real goal in CAI systems...Any temp reduction is an added little bonus...and if one system is 8-10 degrees hotter or colder, you will never know the difference.... Unless, like I said, your totally into racing only

Old 08-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 06 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Edition
Color: Dark Blue
Trublue is on a distinguished road

I agree with the out side air temp making a big difference in my MPG, I have also noticed with it being 115 this week i cant even get close to 15mpg im lucky to get 13mpg. My AFE CAI does give my truck a quicker rev. when i give it gas.