DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: maroon
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
faststang is on a distinguished road
Default cai very load

ok i install a cai and the first thing is now under throttle it is load deep roar, and it might be me but, it seemed there was more push (torqe)with old air system on it. does it make sence to put back the throttle body plastic cover, or in close the air filter.
Sponsored links
Old 08-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:530
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

a few members have been wanting a little more info on the Fastman TB.
Perhaps I should start a new thread? but for now I'll reply here since there's been several pm's generated after my recent posts in this thread.

Link to Dan's site:
http://www.thefastman.com/ThrottlebodiesHemi.asp

Dan offers two levels of modification,
The first is a basic taper bore (that's the one I have)
It's taper bored and polished from 85mm at the mouth to the stock valve plate at 80mm.
He also removes the top half of the shaft that holds the valve plate making a larger smoother surface for better part throttle response, and it allows a higher flow rate at WOT too.

It's a brand new Stock TB (no core) for $212 Shipped!
4 bolts to install and a single electrical connector, plug&play...5 minute job.

The next level up is a full 85mm bore with new larger valve plate and half shaft mod for about ~$150 more.
He says don't bother with that unless you have some serious mods like a stroker/turbo or supercharger.

If you want to save a $100 and don't mind being down for a week, he can modify your own TB instead of him buying a new unit for $100.

I highly recommend the basic mod for $200 for anyone who has done even the most basic intake/exhaust upgrades.
Those with a Ram Air and/or Headers will probably realize even better results.

My stock TB left, new Fastman Taper Bore right...

Some have questioned that the front side taper bore is not any better than stock if it just goes down to 80mm anyway, but others have explained it better :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingue86 View Post
More air can pass not because the cross sectional area has increased but because the speed of the flow had increased. And geometry had a lot to do with this. Basically with a larger opening, there should be less back pressure or effort required to flow the same amount of air. This means if you do apply the same effort, you should be able to flow more air than before.

For example, look at the nozzle of a rocket. They have converging-diverging nozzles to speed up the exhaust. For the same amount of air to pass from a large cross section to a smaller one, the flow must increase in speed, or change in density. At the smallest cross section, the flow can be sonic (mach 1) at most and if the conditions are right, the flow can actually increase in speed as the cross section increases (the density changes as this is most definitely in the compressible flow regime). This is how a rocket can have thrust faster than mach 1.

Another example is in a competition for college students called Formula SAE. They have a restriction on the maximum intake size (I believe it is 1 inch). So to get more air to the engine, they design a converging-diverging nozzle that has it's smallest cross section at the required limit, where the flow has been maximized (speed is mach 1).

In our case with an intake to an engine the exit of the nozzle, or throttle body, will not have supersonic flow. But the same principals can be applied to provide different flow characteristics through the throttle body.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

the pressure at "1" is higher that at "2" because the fluid speed at "1" is lower than at "2".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also flow related and well worth mentioning,
if you look closer at the collector where my Airaid filter mounts there's a velocity stack ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_stack

I dont have a wiki on the Airaid Triple Lobe tube,
but you can bet there's some physics behind that design as well.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP
Old 08-04-2011, 11:18 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Satin Orange
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

To much?

Old 08-05-2011, 11:32 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport Ram Hood
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:516
Bordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of light

This has to be the best write up on getting the most power out of your engine I have ever saw.

I think you convinced me to buy every single thing on your baby.

I already have the airraid intake, it was my first mod, full maggy catback.

Just saw another thread of yours about the catch can, I ordered that last week.

Sent an email off to dan yesterday about a new throttle Body!

Thanks BlackRamHemi.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:42 PM

BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Happy to Help!

I'm an ex hardcore Jeeper where off-road performance mod's (on a Budget) are a necessity!

This is my first attempt at a building a hot-rod race truck for the street/strip.
I never even raced at an actual track until last summer (July 2010), but picked up a few tips over the past year that I'm happy to pass on.

Rule of thumb, the Engine is basically an air pump,
more air in and more air out = more power.

So follow up your intake mods with some exhaust tweaks as well for maximum results.

Unless you're planning on some expensive ARH LT Headers (with built-in Y pipe)....
If you haven't already done it, add a Magnaflow Y-pipe (#10778) to your CatBack exhaust for $27 and get rid of this brutally crushed and pinched stock Y !

and get it welded in by a higher end "performance" exhaust shop with a couple pieces of Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel tubing,
not the standard cheap crushed bent aluminum Midas crap. ( a crushed 90º bend can decrease flow by almost 20% )

Here's mine installed with 2 Mandrel Bent SS sections ($15 ea)

So $60 in parts, maybe $50-$100 labor.

I really wanted Ceramic Coated Headers (lower heat and lasts longer)
and was looking at almost $2k for ARH Long Tubes after coating.

ARH's SS Headers are around $1600 (uncoated) and you have to ship them somewhere else for ceramic coating

So instead I went with the Maggy Y and JBA Shorty Headers available in Ceramic Coated for 1/4 of the ARH LT price ($500).

The LT's are known for superior low end Torque, but the Shorties are just about as good at the mid/higher end.

So to make up for the low end shortfall I ordered a custom designed 3K Stall Torque Converter ($500) from Andre at http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/
The real problem with the low end launch with the Heavy 4G Hemi is the Huge amount of Torque Management that is barely reduced even with aftermarket Tuning.
Mechanical Intervention with a higher stall torque converter is the answer (IMHO) to getting sub 2.0 second 60' times, it's been proven hundreds of times already with the previous 3G Hemi's.
The stock stall is a POS 2300 and has plastic bearing retainer and stator, same design unchanged that Dodge originally made for the 4.7L V8 545RFE back in 02'

Getting better low end Torque with LT headers seams counter productive
if you're trying to route it through a crappy stock converter and letting the PCM steal your advantage through Torque Management.

I'm sure once my TC and Headers get installed within the next month, my times will drop another 4-5 tenths, closer to the high 12's
(Currently at 13.4/101 DA corrected)

For a N/A Heavy 4x4 4G with stock internals a few bolt-on's and shitty 3.55 gears that's pretty darn quick.

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 08-05-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport Crew white
Rep:27
Focalforge is on a distinguished road

sorry for the off topic, but I do have a question about your post, BlackRamHemi. Are you planning on picking up the silver ceramic or the titanium ceramic shorty? the stock flange looks like it's in the same spot for the cars. Is it in the same spot for the Ram as well? I would love to see pictures when you get them installed.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:21 PM

Sorry it was a blind buy for me, based soley on JBA's reputation and price.

I ordered mine Silver Ceramic coated, over a month ago, should be shipped next week.
Once they arrive I'll post pic's, I have no idea what they look like for the 4G Hemi, all the pic's I could find on-line are from other cars/trucks.

I am a little concerned that AutoAnything has since removed all adds and links to the 4G Hemi Shorties, and I cant find them for sale at any other on-line vendor???

Old 08-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 08 Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Big Horn
Color: Electric Blue Pearl
Rep:119
ICEMAN99TURBO will become famous soon enoughICEMAN99TURBO will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ICEMAN99TURBO Send a message via Yahoo to ICEMAN99TURBO

Very nice looking headers! How do you like them so far?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport Crew white
Rep:27
Focalforge is on a distinguished road

These are the non-coated ones... the coating/color is all that will change. I have the titanium ceramic saved to my wishlist... they are the same price on the website I shop off of.

Last edited by Focalforge; 08-09-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
BigHoss is on a distinguished road

I prefer the K&N myself. I like how my engine sounds when I open the throttle up on it. Would you get that with a fully-enclosed CAI? I got my K&N for like $225 brand new.

What are the HP enhancements on the more expensive CAIs? It would have to be quite a bit to get me to spend the extra $$$.