DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

that pipe insulation looks like a great idea!!!! I might try the tube with a used Volant I am waiting for!
Sponsored links
Old 08-02-2011, 06:13 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

Ordered the KN 1026 Cone Filter from Amazon w/ free shipping which should arrive by the 5th. Not my first choice but its close for off the shelf.
6" inlet flange
7.5" bottom od
7" top od
11" height

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 08-02-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:44 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:530
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916Timmy View Post
I might try the tube with a used Volant I am waiting for!
The Volant has lower port built into their sealed box already just begging for this mod
and I hear production of an optional lower air scoop will be out in November for the 4G Ram's.

They do it for several other makes/models already http://www.volant.com/scoops.asp
this is what the Chevy Silverado HD unit looks like:

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 08-02-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:45 AM

BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Right after I shot this pic I realized just how nasty the dirt and bugs collecting in the fins was ,
I dont normally see my filter from this angle so I thought it still looked okay from the front...Ooops!

Guess I'm due for my first cleaning/re-charge after almost a year

Soaked it with degreaser and let it sit for 10 minutes

Then rinsed from the inside out with a light low pressure shower nozzle on the garden hose and let it dry for 4 hours next to a fan.
Then a light spray oil and let it wick in for 20 minutes...check for white spots and give it another light dusting of oil and let it dry overnight before re-installing the morning.
Bet I'll be even Faster getting to work tomorrow now!

Clean and Dry waiting for some fresh Red K&N Oil.
I use the K&N recharge kit because it was only $12 locally vs $20+ for the Airaid recharge kit.

This shot gives a good idea of the filter size compared to a coke can...with some fresh Red Oil!

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 08-03-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 08 Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Big Horn
Color: Electric Blue Pearl
Rep:119
ICEMAN99TURBO will become famous soon enoughICEMAN99TURBO will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ICEMAN99TURBO Send a message via Yahoo to ICEMAN99TURBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
Lowes Hardware 3.5" Flex Tube (I bought two and a coupler, but because they can extend and bend from 9" up to 21" only one was required)

intake air is now "Rammed" in and up toward the stock fender port from the FRONT where air pressure is highest (at speed) instead of the motor having to suck air from below.

View from below, lower left is the input side, lower right is the fog light housing, up the fender is the blue bungee cord holding the top of the tube in place.
(There's a second bungee holding the lower front of the tube near the bumper)

Testing has been limited to street only so far and I'm melting my poor Terra Grapplers! I can tell by my butt dyno it's working well.
Track testing to follow, and I still have to get a base line Dyno run (slated for August 12th) before my Edge Torque Converter and JBA Headers get installed then my custom CMR Dyno Tuning session.
Great idea with the tubes bud, but will all the ribs you are loosing a lot of air flow. If I was you, I would use them as a template and take them to your local fabricator and have him make you a set of Alum tubes with the bend you need. You will notice the difference.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:16 AM

a few more pic's from this morning after re-installing

Oiled, installed and ready to roll again...

Now that everything is flowing free clean clear and cold,
my early morning commute to the office freaked me out!
Super Fast when the cool morning air was only 12ºC (~50ºF)

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 08-03-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:16 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

That Airaid filter is a beast!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEMAN99TURBO View Post
Great idea with the tubes bud, but will all the ribs you are loosing a lot of air flow. If I was you, I would use them as a template and take them to your local fabricator and have him make you a set of Alum tubes with the bend you need. You will notice the difference.
Already have my Guy lined up LOL!
...a Neighbor a few homes down from me builds custom turbo setups in his garage, mostly for 350z/370z cars...but he want's to do a Turbo setup on my Ram next...
We met at the track last year when he recognized my truck, when he told me where he lived I recognized his name and it turns out I designed his home...small world

Damn fine TIG Welder/Fabricator,

Since you're a Turbo guy, you should like this ...
a few pics of his Z and a link to his build here: http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induc...rbo-build.html

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 08-03-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport Crew white
Color: White
Rep:27
Focalforge is on a distinguished road

I just ordered my Airaid (http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail....ductID=301-237) from amazon for $371.90 with free shipping to my home here in AK. i'm probably going to use your idea, BM, to use pipe insulation to make a better seal on the hood. I'm going to need to look at the setup in person, once installed and might pick up the diy kit too, so I can plumb colder air into the box. I'll post pics of what I end up doing. I'll proably have to forge up some special brackets to hold everthing still though.

cheers
Old 08-04-2011, 01:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 08 Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Big Horn
Color: Electric Blue Pearl
Rep:119
ICEMAN99TURBO will become famous soon enoughICEMAN99TURBO will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ICEMAN99TURBO Send a message via Yahoo to ICEMAN99TURBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
Already have my Guy lined up LOL!
...a Neighbor a few homes down from me builds custom turbo setups in his garage, mostly for 350z/370z cars...but he want's to do a Turbo setup on my Ram next...
We met at the track last year when he recognized my truck, when he told me where he lived I recognized his name and it turns out I designed his home...small world

Damn fine TIG Welder/Fabricator,

Since you're a Turbo guy, you should like this ...
a few pics of his Z and a link to his build here: http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induc...rbo-build.html
Very cool, hope he builds the Zs up well, hear they don't take too to boost. Will be an interesting project have to hit me up with the link so I can check it out as it unfolds.