DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-21-2011, 11:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Great test Schnitzer.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2011, 09:28 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl Coat
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:93
Schnitzer21 will become famous soon enough

Thanks RootBeer!
Dodge Molded Splashguards, Dodge Slush Mats, DeeZee Bed Mat, "Herculined" inside Toolbox with dual LED Lightbars, Diablosport Predator (U7137), Hell Bent Steel 2.5" Leveling Kit, Mopar Chrome Tubular Side Steps, Billet Technology Oil Catch Can, JET 180 T-Stat, 18" Magnaflow Muffler with Y-Pipe.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:18 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

That is awesome! I was worried about getting an "open" intake and now I know it will be hardly any different! Thanks and
Old 06-22-2011, 11:01 AM

Thanks! I'm glad the info was helpful for you!
Dodge Molded Splashguards, Dodge Slush Mats, DeeZee Bed Mat, "Herculined" inside Toolbox with dual LED Lightbars, Diablosport Predator (U7137), Hell Bent Steel 2.5" Leveling Kit, Mopar Chrome Tubular Side Steps, Billet Technology Oil Catch Can, JET 180 T-Stat, 18" Magnaflow Muffler with Y-Pipe.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi BigHorn
Trim Level: ? Big Horn ?
Color: Reddish
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
MFitzs70 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzer21 View Post
In reading this entire thread today it sparked a thought that I had, how much "colder/cooler" really is a "cold" air intake. In this instance how much "colder/cooler" is the air being drawn from the fender well vs the air under the hood. Well I took some data after work today.

I borrowed a thermocouple module from work today and that paired with a fluke meter shows temperature readings down to the tenth of a degree Fahrenheit.

Test conditions:

Truck color is black and completely stock.
90 degree outside temperature
sunny, not a cloud in the sky
steady 5mph wind
"warmed up truck" aka coolant temp was ~203 degrees oil temp at ~199 degrees.

First test:

Since the truck was already "warm" I took and mounted the thermocouple directly in the path of the incoming air from the fender well (pic 1), started the truck back up (it had only been off for the time it took to mount the thermocouple about 1-2min) and let the temperature on the meter stabilize. After about ten min the temp stabilized at approximately 128.7-129.4 degrees Fahrenheit give or take a half a degree.

Second test:

With the thermocouple still mounted in the airflow from the fender, I took the truck and drove it down the interstate at a constant 65mph for almost 10miles. The temperature stabilized at 90.4 - 91.3 degrees. Same outdoor temperature and same temps on the oil and coolant.

Third test:

I took and mounted the thermocouple on the side of the air box (pic 2). Then proceeded to drive the 10miles back up the interstate at 65mph. The temperature stabilized within the first 5 miles at 91.8-92.6 degrees Fahrenheit. Same outside temp and same coolant and oil temps.

Fourth test:

When I arrived back at home I parked the truck in the same location, and with the thermocouple still mounted to the side of the air box, I let it idle until stabile. The temperature settled down at around 132.4-133.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

So for what its worth, going with the data I took, there seems to be only a minimal difference in the temperature actually entering the throttle body while driving at highway speeds. I don't know if this is a big enough difference to see a performance gain, that would be up to someone else to answer. Or would the airflow gain in an open CAI be more beneficial than the small temperature gain from the closed CAI, again a question for someone else to answer.

Hope this information was useful, it only took about an hour of my time, about a gallon of gas, and two beers while I wrote this up

Now its time to go mow the lawn in this god forsaken heat!

Cheers!
Great data. It would be interesting to check air temp right before it enters the TB. It would be cool to see the stock vs. CAI. Someone would have to drill a small hole and seal it with the thermalcouple inside the airflow.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:19 PM

Well if anyone is willing to donate a CAI I'll run the test
Old 06-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew 4x2
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Bright White
Rep:10
Clifton is on a distinguished road

After reading this whote thread, I think the best answer for my 2011 is to leave the stock box, and keep the current drop in K&N I already have...

Boy, that hour of reading really saved me some money...
Old 06-22-2011, 07:24 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Austin Tan Pearl &Lt. Graystone Pearl
Rep:27
theweavman is on a distinguished road

Hey nice job on the temp monitoring, did you try placing your prob inside the air box, wasn't sure when I read your comments, or perhaps I just missed it, I was curious as to free underhood air temps vs. Those from inside a warmed up air box?.. Thanks for your tests.... I suspect that as long as the intake air flows thru hot ducts, boxes, tubes, and into a hot throttle body, there really would not be alot of difference inside the combustion chamber.... We would have to flow the air through an iced box or tube and directly into the combustion chamber I suspect to truly gain much in a temp advantage... I think the real advantage to a CAI is a less restrictive air flow path and less restrictive filter... But hey what do I Know? Just some 50 years of Hot Rodding and drag racing under my belt... May have picked something up along the way, but this is just one old mans opinion, I welcome others
Old 06-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 08 Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Big Horn
Color: Electric Blue Pearl
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:119
ICEMAN99TURBO will become famous soon enoughICEMAN99TURBO will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ICEMAN99TURBO Send a message via Yahoo to ICEMAN99TURBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlguy53403 View Post
You're right, so I'll junk that! I definlity would want the most real cold air as possible, and based on your evals the Airraid is the way to go. I think that this is the way to go then, unless you know of another brand that can get more cold air in!

http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail....ductID=301-237
.... That or Volant.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:25 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Austin Tan Pearl &Lt. Graystone Pearl
Rep:27
theweavman is on a distinguished road

The Airaid system seems to me much like the AFE system, with the exception of you being charged another $100 bucks or so for a strangely shaped tube and your paying for another air box bottom... AFE system uses the bottom half of the factory air box, instead of having to buy a new one for no real reason that I can see... But it's your money and you have to be happy with whatever you buy... I'd check each manufactures claims also for most HP & Torque... I hope you and your Ram are happy with whatever you choose