DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-20-2011, 02:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

As long as the seal between the hood and top of the box, the Airaid is a good choice. My personal preference is a fully enclosed CAI.

That said, the only things wrong with the stock unit are:

1. The rubber ribbed duct to the TB.
2. The filter is not as efficient as some of the after market types, but keep in mind most of the after market types require some type of replenishing every so often.

I've kept the stock unit on RB and have no complaints about mpg or power. But then again, I'm not racing it either.

If you can make or get a smooth piece of ABS or carbon fiber to replace the duct, you're be miles and dollars ahead.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2011, 02:50 PM
erm

Well, look who posted! Nice to see ya here, Brian.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:05 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl Coat
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:93
Schnitzer21 will become famous soon enough

Well that was alot of reading...I was looking to get an aftermarket CAI but now I am more confused than ever on which one to get! Thinking about saving my $$ and just getting a drop-in and keeping the stock setup. Any recommendations on a good drop-in filter? Thanks in advance!
Dodge Molded Splashguards, Dodge Slush Mats, DeeZee Bed Mat, "Herculined" inside Toolbox with dual LED Lightbars, Diablosport Predator (U7137), Hell Bent Steel 2.5" Leveling Kit, Mopar Chrome Tubular Side Steps, Billet Technology Oil Catch Can, JET 180 T-Stat, 18" Magnaflow Muffler with Y-Pipe.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:11 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Austin Tan Pearl &Lt. Graystone Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
theweavman is on a distinguished road

If you want a drop in K&N is always a good choice, been around a long time with a solid product
Old 06-21-2011, 01:23 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Austin Tan Pearl &Lt. Graystone Pearl
Rep:27
theweavman is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind also that in a moving vehicle the air is not stagnent even under the hood, so the air moving in, really doesn't have a lot of time to pick up the underfoot heat, o
Now idling may be a different story, and all systems that are physically located under the hood will become warm from heat transfer from the engine to some degree...I bet if you put a thermometer in the CAI boxes near the filters, you wouldn't see a large variation between an open box and a closed box with a ram tube... The closed boxes with ram air extensions also suck in more water and debris, this can be a problem sometimes also, in snow and mud, they can also become restricted.. Just somethings to consider also... Also look at the manufactures advertised HP and Torque gains from the different systems, a good point of comparison, Currently I believe AFE is one of the highest avalible, and it's a well made open system
Old 06-21-2011, 04:33 PM

I think I am going to run a few tests after work today...I'll post the results when I get them.
Dodge Molded Splashguards, Dodge Slush Mats, DeeZee Bed Mat, "Herculined" inside Toolbox with dual LED Lightbars, Diablosport Predator (U7137), Hell Bent Steel 2.5" Leveling Kit, Mopar Chrome Tubular Side Steps, Billet Technology Oil Catch Can, JET 180 T-Stat, 18" Magnaflow Muffler with Y-Pipe.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:44 PM

RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Well, look who posted! Nice to see ya here, Brian.
Hi Michael,

Thanks. I check in once in a while. I'll be making a post explaining things once things finally get settled more.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 06-21-2011, 05:54 PM

Here's my view on the CAI issue at least for the 09's and up.

The stock system is as good as you're going to get with the exception of the ribbed rubber duct to the TB. It draws "cold air" from the fender well, has a decent but not exceptional filter (a good high flow drop in like the K&N can fix that, but the K&Ns require a liquid recharge every now and then).

The aftermarket CAIs all tell you how much more hp or mpg or whatever they give, but good luck on finding true dyno readings on them for your motor.

The CAIs that have a duct feeding air from below are bad news as has been said. They get water and other debris in them.

If sound is what you're after, go buy an exhaust system.

As for the comment about the heat from the engine compartment, consider this. The open CAIs draw their air from the engine compartment. Granted while the vehicle is in motion the temp won't be as high as when idling, but it will still be higher than the temp of the air being drawn from the fender well as the stock CAI does.

Engines run best with cooler albeit not cold (below 40F) air. Cooler air is denser even though warm humid air feels like it is. They also like a smooth airflow, thus the reason for getting a smooth duct between the CAI and the TB.

Lot of folks say the air gets disturbed in the stock box. That's true, before it hits the filter. Once it hits the filter it becomes linear again and stays that way until it hits the ribbed duct.

Just my $.02 worth.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:32 PM

Default CAI Evaluation Test

In reading this entire thread today it sparked a thought that I had, how much "colder/cooler" really is a "cold" air intake. In this instance how much "colder/cooler" is the air being drawn from the fender well vs the air under the hood. Well I took some data after work today.

I borrowed a thermocouple module from work today and that paired with a fluke meter shows temperature readings down to the tenth of a degree Fahrenheit.

Test conditions:

Truck color is black and completely stock.
90 degree outside temperature
sunny, not a cloud in the sky
steady 5mph wind
"warmed up truck" aka coolant temp was ~203 degrees oil temp at ~199 degrees.

First test:

Since the truck was already "warm" I took and mounted the thermocouple directly in the path of the incoming air from the fender well (pic 1), started the truck back up (it had only been off for the time it took to mount the thermocouple about 1-2min) and let the temperature on the meter stabilize. After about ten min the temp stabilized at approximately 128.7-129.4 degrees Fahrenheit give or take a half a degree.

Second test:

With the thermocouple still mounted in the airflow from the fender, I took the truck and drove it down the interstate at a constant 65mph for almost 10miles. The temperature stabilized at 90.4 - 91.3 degrees. Same outdoor temperature and same temps on the oil and coolant.

Third test:

I took and mounted the thermocouple on the side of the air box (pic 2). Then proceeded to drive the 10miles back up the interstate at 65mph. The temperature stabilized within the first 5 miles at 91.8-92.6 degrees Fahrenheit. Same outside temp and same coolant and oil temps.

Fourth test:

When I arrived back at home I parked the truck in the same location, and with the thermocouple still mounted to the side of the air box, I let it idle until stabile. The temperature settled down at around 132.4-133.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

So for what its worth, going with the data I took, there seems to be only a minimal difference in the temperature actually entering the throttle body while driving at highway speeds. I don't know if this is a big enough difference to see a performance gain, that would be up to someone else to answer. Or would the airflow gain in an open CAI be more beneficial than the small temperature gain from the closed CAI, again a question for someone else to answer.

Hope this information was useful, it only took about an hour of my time, about a gallon of gas, and two beers while I wrote this up

Now its time to go mow the lawn in this god forsaken heat!

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 1.jpg (122.0 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Pic 2.jpg (122.5 KB, 92 views)
Old 06-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:10
LoneWolfNY is on a distinguished road

Great Data! Was going to get the Volant CAI , now I'm back to not being sure lol.