DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1994 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
CavemanX is on a distinguished road
Default Mods Input

Hey, guys. I plan to get a 3/4 ton hemi with a 5 or 6 speed manual next year (model year 2008 tops). Me being me, I won't be able to leave it stock. I plan on getting an Airraid modular intake tube, a drop in K&N filter, and doing the ram air mod by drilling a hole in the bottom of the intake box, and running flex tubing to the bumper vents. I'd like to put a tuner on it. I also want to put a slightly freer flowing exhaust on it. The question I have, is on the exhaust. I am cheap as heck, and all the nice exhaust setups are like $600. I WILL NOT DO FLOWMASTER! Anyone do their own cheap setup? And, are high-flow cats worth it on these? Lastly, what kind of gas mileage do you think I can get from it? I get about 12 city and unknown highway with my 1994 Ram 1500 4x4 (Gas gauge is broke, and I've been doing a lot of around town driving). Oh, and before I forget, do you think a CAI would be better than the custom intake I mentioned earlier? Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:49
doz is on a distinguished road

Intake wont do much unless you have a good amount of supporting mods. First and foremost get a tuner. Next, high flow cats wont net you much performance. To get any performance out of the exhaust, you must go with headers and preferably long tubes. Shorties wont net much, although they help a little. Id go with long tubes, no cats, and tune out the o2 sensor codes. From there, you can go with a muffler to suit the sound you want (keep in mind headers add a LOT of sound with an aftermarket muffler so you may not be happy with a muffler after headers). Then go with maybe a ported throttle body after that. Your factory intake modded will work just fine up to there.

As far as gas mileage, dont expect more than about 13-14 in the city and thats with a light foot. Anyone claiming much more than that in the city is lying to you or their city driving consists of long stretches of 40-60 mph roads.
DS Trinity w/ Jay Greene Tune (PM for info), S&B Intake, ARH LT Headers, Magnaflow Cat-back, 87mm PTB, BT Catch Can, 180* T-Stat, v6 E-Fan, 5000k RS HID, XD Misfits w/ 35"x12.5"x18", Rancho QL level, 5% tint w/ 35% full windshield