DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7L
Trim Level: Hemi Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:35
Danstona is on a distinguished road
Question HID's flash with keyfob and opening door??

OK, this really has me baffled.. I'm not sure why it does this, but its only after the truck is sitting a while... what I mean by this, is if I unlock the doors or lock the doors within say 30 seconds of doing it previously, the lights will not flash. However, if I leave the truck for about 2-3 minutes and hit the unlock, then my HIDS will flash or pulse if you will, along with the marker lights to follow. The stranger thing is that the lights will also flash if I leave the doors unlocked and open the door after a while of the truck just sitting there. It does that on all doors, no matter when I open them, as long as its been sitting untouched for atleast 2-3 minutes. The way the lights are hooked in is normal to anyone elses setup. The stock plug is used as a signal wire, and runs through the HID ballast/relay control down from the stock headlight plug. Then it runs into the ballasts. The only thing I have done, is added a separate 12v line, and put a relay to control the constant 12v for the high beams. I did that to eliminate any problems with my DRLs. So far that is fine, and adding this relay has not made the lights act any different from when the kit was first installed. The only other thing I have done electronics wise, is install the rear electric tailgate lock. That is tapped into the drivers side door lock/unlock wire... and I can't see it having anything to do with why the lights would flash. Any suggestions guys?
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 5.7 hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Color: mineral gray metallic
Rep:63
greendaze will become famous soon enough

have you tried grounding all ground wires (relay & ballast) directly to either the frame or battery?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze View Post
have you tried grounding all ground wires (relay & ballast) directly to either the frame or battery?
Right now, all ground wires except the passenger side ballast ground, go to the frame where the stock ground harness grounds. Do these ballast boxes actually use the mount as a ground too? I thought they could be fastened to plastic or whatever... the other thing that is really annoying the heck out of me, is that I have major FM band radio static which is 4 times worse when I flip on my fogs. Its unlistenable to even a radio station that is in the same city!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 05:21 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Lone Star 5.7
Color: Black
Rep:12
Aggie 5.7 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to poor quality HIDs.

Back on the H3, when I had some cheapo HID kit, there was no possibility of listening to the radio when the HIDs were on (the CB radio was even worse!) Your ballast puts out a Radio Frequency (RF) signal that interferes massively with your radio antenna.

As for your light flashing problem, it has something to do with how you installed the relay to interfere with your DRLs. It sounds like the truck wants to start the headlights up when it flashes the parking lights(there is some messed up wiring because the headlights shouldn't come on when your parking lights flash) and since the parking lights/DRLs are the same lights, I'm guessing that's where your problem is. I would try to re-wire the whole thing without a relay for the Hi-beams and see if that solves your problem.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie 5.7 View Post
Welcome to poor quality HIDs.

Back on the H3, when I had some cheapo HID kit, there was no possibility of listening to the radio when the HIDs were on (the CB radio was even worse!) Your ballast puts out a Radio Frequency (RF) signal that interferes massively with your radio antenna.

As for your light flashing problem, it has something to do with how you installed the relay to interfere with your DRLs. It sounds like the truck wants to start the headlights up when it flashes the parking lights(there is some messed up wiring because the headlights shouldn't come on when your parking lights flash) and since the parking lights/DRLs are the same lights, I'm guessing that's where your problem is. I would try to re-wire the whole thing without a relay for the Hi-beams and see if that solves your problem.
That sounds like a very likely problem. I'm not sure that I am up for trying to find a real work around for disabling the DRLs any other way. As for the static... I haven't really been happy with these HIDs since I got them, and as a word of advice for anyone else purchasing. Go with a set from 3B specialties.. they are the only ones that I haven't heard complaints about. I bought mine through Flashtech over on the Nitro Forumz. I don't want to bash Steve at all, because he has been great. But his product does SUCK lol.