DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 Ram 1500 4x4 5.2
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
j.marcum614 is on a distinguished road
Default loosing power.

First off I just want to say that I am new here and I really hope yall can help me out. I got a 94 dodge ram 1500 with the 318 and out of nowhere she started wigging out on me. it is shifting fine and aint leaking fluids, but i got this hissing sound that seems to be coming from the front driver side area. That faster it goes the louder it gets.(I think is a exhaust leak up near the manifold) The problem im worried about is as follows; it happens going 35 and its happens going 70,(Although i made from autozone, 5mi. cruising 50 without an issue. Only time since it started happening) itll start to slow down, it went from 60 to 50 without me moving my foot until i tap the gas, then itll get back up to speed and start all over.The only thing ive done to it(other then drive it) is change the plugs and wires. The wires were from a different car but i cant see it having that kind of effect. my rpms will bounce up and down in bout a 300rpm range.(depending on how fast i go) and i can move my foot almost an inch with no effect(when its acting up). if I tap it a bit i can get it up to 60 but then after a couple of min the engine will go quiet like i let off the gas and start to loose speed, then about 10sec later itll jerk and start going again. I already checked the codes, one for a o2 sensor and one for an internal temperature sensor in the tranny. The tranny thing has been on there for a year, never an issue. I already unhooked the 02sensor from the cat, helped but didnt fix. I checked the fuel pump and the asd relays, both clicking. Test the fuel pressure, solid 38, idling and going 60 and while the problem is accruing. batterys strong, alternator is quiet and all the gauges seem fine. Oh yeah, all the vacuum lines look to be in good shape and after about a week of this prob, maybe 40mi later. now its starting to die on me as I pull in and out of my driveway. The guy at autozone told me it sounded like a ICM problem and the guy from o'reillys said something about the transfer case locks up after so long to cut down on drag and that it was trying to do that, but having issues. Im stumped, Well I appreciate yalls help if you have any ideas
Sponsored links
Old 03-30-2014, 09:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Kinda sounds like throttle position sensor. At least that'd be my first stop.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

If that was bad wouldnt a code pop up when I did the code reader thing?
Old 03-31-2014, 05:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1996 dodge ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: red
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
dabranco is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a vac leak your cruise control module is located under the battery tray vac leaks sound like a "hissing" noise and can cause those symptoms. Also replace your o-2 sensor just because you disconnect just means the engine can not adjust your air fuel ratio from rich to lean and back again.

Last edited by dabranco; 03-31-2014 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Paultocologist

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

If the hissing is more of a sucking noise (left-rear of engine) I had the same problem with my '95. There isn't much I haven't experienced with this thing.

Your's sounds like a combination of two problems that aren't directly related, but can have a tendency to seem to be related.

I'm going to ask you a couple questions and my advise depends directly on your answers.

1.) Does it have an intermittent low idle? Every now and then it'll idle low and seem like it's going to stall and that's when you hear the noise?

2.) Does it only seem to lose power after it's warmed up but is okay before it reaches operating (200+/-) temperature?

(P.S. The TPS really won't throw a code. It's one of those things that aren't in the system. Kinda like if the fuel pump went bad or had low pressure. Occasionally you'll get an out of range but in MY experience, that's just about it).

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name

Last edited by Warlock III; 03-31-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Gen1dak - I gonna go ahead and test the tps.

dabranco - i spent three hrs trying to find a vacuum leak, the ccm was the first place i checked. Ill give it another go. And i unhooked the o2 sensor from the cat so that i could see if the clogged cat was the problem. Cause I know its clogged, just wanted to giv some room to breath. as soon as i get the right blade shes coming off.

Warlock III - it has started to idle slow(round 500) and itll drop a bit and sound like its about to stall but it dont. after a sec itll pick back up and start over(only in park, idles good in drive) but there is no noise when its idling. can only hear it with the acceleration. And only moving. Tried to have someone pin point it while i reved it up in park and in drive while i held the brakes, but they couldnt hear nothing. And it dont seem to matter if its hot or cold. It happend when i was going 35 and the temp gauge was at the quarter mark(half being where it supposed to be.)

So my next step will be to test the IAC, the TPS and triple check the vacuum lines. I appreciate yalls help and feel free to keep it coming. Ill keep yall posted.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:08 AM
Paultocologist

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

If you're sure the cat is clogged then it's creating back-pressure and that very well may be the noise you're hearing. The exhaust is looking for the path of least resistance.

Get under the truck with a dead-blow hammer and give the cat a few good shots with the truck running . Listen to the exhaust resonance and if it picks up, you have cleared it temporarily.

Run, hit, repeat.

That was why I asked the questions I did. Your answers tend to point to breaking up the clogged cat. Watch after you whack it and see if there's some whitish powdery residue after you rev it a couple times.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name

Last edited by Warlock III; 04-01-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:47 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:190
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

My first instinct was with Warlock on the clogged cat. I had this happen once on my 95, OBDI like the posters 94. No lights or CEL. Just power-loss at speed. Similar to bad fuel pressure. No backfire. Just power-loss. Let off the gas, and get into it again, ok. Then does it again. Just my experience.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:18 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Club Cab 4-D
Color: Hunter Green
Rep:19
Green 01 is on a distinguished road

How are you brakes working? Does it seem that you have to apply more pressure to stop? If so, the diaphragm in your brake booster might be leaking. That would cause a hissing noise and power loss from the vacuum leak...
Old 04-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ?????????
Color: White, White, Blue/Grey and White/Grey
axeroad is on a distinguished road

Clogged cat, remove or replace.
I have had this happen twice.
95 with the 360 and a 99 with the 318.