DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-29-2014, 01:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn Edition
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:23
BigSlama912 is on a distinguished road
Default Retro Solutions HID problem

I recently install a Retro Solutions HID 6000k BiXenon kit into my 2006 Ram. On the first fire up I noticed the drivers side was slightly less bright and a little more yellow in color. After about a week or so I switched the headlights and the color followed the bulb. After another week or so the bulb the started in the drivers side (now in the passengers side) started to flicker.

I switched the bulbs back to their original position and the same bulb was flickering. I contacted Retro Solutions and they has me perform ohm tests all around and everything seemed to check out. I then ordered a new pair of bulbs, because Retro Solutions claims its not an issue with the kit. When they arrived one bulb was broken so I popped the one new bulb in to see if there was a difference.

Sure enough with brand new bulb in the drivers side is slightly more yellow and not at bright. I have double checked all parts of installation and it's solid. Retro Solutions is blaming it on my headlight assembly, but that sounds wrong.
Also, I know that the color of bulbs change slightly with time, but this is an issue from DAY 1 TURN ON.

Could the ballast be the culprit for the different colors?

Any help would be great!

Here are some pics as well!

Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2014, 01:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:2006
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

First off I need to warn you and give you some advice. Stop doing business with Retro Solutions!

He will not warranty anything that actually goes wrong and as you will find out if you haven't already. Everything is your fault... there is nothing wrong with his kits so he says.

Google retro solutions warranty problems and read until your hearts content. There is not one good outcome from that company.

I recommend you consider the Retrofit source. I understand you have already tossed out A LOT of coin for the kits you have now but I promise you, you will only spend more because Retro solutions will not help you he will blame you.

See my old Mod thread and it's Journey here

Current Mod thread here
Old 03-29-2014, 03:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

What Arth said about Retro Solutions is my experience too. He is very creative at making his problem your fault. I simply cut my losses and moved on.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:39 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Gray
Rep:31
BC18471 is on a distinguished road

And...I can confirm that TRS has amazing support. In the process of installing their kit and they have been excellent.
Custom Katzkin leather, Magnaflow 14" with Y, Mopar CAI, Moroso Catch Can, 180* t-stat, Switchback Front turn signals, All LED lighting, Kenwood DNX6180, Cabin air filter, Smoked Tails and 3rd, Audiovox backup camera
Old 03-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn Edition
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:23
BigSlama912 is on a distinguished road

After having my initial issues I did some more research on Retro Solution and assumed I had made a mistake. Thank you both for confirming. I am going to cut my losses and order the TRS

I know I can Google this, and I have, but what are the opinions of 35w vs 55w. From what I read 55w isn't that big of an advantage and the bulbs don't last as long.

Thanks again
Old 03-30-2014, 12:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:2006
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

TRS sells 50w and that's what I run. There is a difference in output between the two... I prefer brighter.

See my old Mod thread and it's Journey here

Current Mod thread here
Old 03-30-2014, 07:40 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Once again I agree with Arth, I also run the 50 watt ballasts. The additional brightness is very noticeable and much appreciated when driving on dark roads in the rain. Yes the life of the bulbs is reduced but you are still getting several thousands of hours out of them. Most of us will retire our trucks long before the HIDs reach their end of life.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:50 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi
Trim Level: 1500
Rep:177
brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about

Im going through the same thing as we speak. However, ive been dealing with this guy since August of 2013. After preforming all the tests he had me ship both kits in finally after nearly a year. Two days ago he sends me an email saying that i used dielectric grease which voids the warranty and sends me an invoice of $72 f'ing dollars!!! I never used dielectric grease and i told him that. So then he said that was a mistake and it was because i DIDNT use dielectric grease... So i look at his installation instructions and it says the same stuff in there. One part says to use a thin coat then another part says "never use dielectric grease" Hes now holding both my kits as ransom. So as you could imagine im very pissed and now it has became a matter of principal. He is in violation of several laws under the Deceptive Trade Act and is a crook. Ive prepared a case and im going to sue him.

Im sorry you went through the same thing as I am going through with this unprofessional company that possesses ZERO integrity. For you as well as others before us i will make sure justice is served.
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter
Old 06-06-2014, 12:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck with suing him!I definitely hope you'd at least get the money you've put in them back, as well as court costs.
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Old 06-06-2014, 12:11 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi
Trim Level: 1500
Rep:177
brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about

I talked to an attorney in Connecticut and he told me that its typical to get them to pay the fees. However if that doesn't happen the filing fee in my state for small claims is only $60. Its bull shit that they get away with screwing people over. Its not right.
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter