DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > MDS

Notices

MDS Multi Displacement System Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-17-2014, 05:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Bonkers1804 is on a distinguished road
Default MDS Problems??

Not sure if anyone else has had the same problem, but here recently, when i get to a cruising speed and let off of the gas then accelerate slightly, im getting this weird grinding noise...sounds like its coming from the motor but it doesnt sound like its coming from inside of the motor. It doesnt effect the performance of my truck at all. I have contacted the Ram dealership and had a service tech ride with me so he could listen to it. Theyre telling me it may be some type of module for the MDS system when it reduces to lesser cylinders??? Just curious if anyone else has had this problem.

`2011 Ram BigHorn Hemi
Sponsored links
Old 03-17-2014, 06:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:43
rickerred is on a distinguished road

No issues here

Future Mods: What ever I can sneak by my wife.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
herc is on a distinguished road

My first guess would be the torque converter. Your description of WHEN it happens fits perfectly. Check around on the forum for that, as it's been one of the most common problems. I originally described the sound as similar to a Frisbee sliding across pavement. Must've caught on. Anyway, if your TC is still the original, that could be the culprit. I think everyone around here that had 'em replaced got it done under warranty. And, it was pretty much just that annoying sound. No other performance affect.

If that's not it, I'm wondering if you're just experiencing the normal low rough rumble of the MDS in 4-cyliner mode. It kicks in at way too low a speed for my tastes, and unless you're going at highway speeds, you can definitely hear and feel it. Most guys here just set the max gear to 5 manually. Tow-haul will do the same thing gearwise, but also changes shift points I think.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by herc View Post
My first guess would be the torque converter. Your description of WHEN it happens fits perfectly. Check around on the forum for that, as it's been one of the most common problems. I originally described the sound as similar to a Frisbee sliding across pavement. Must've caught on. Anyway, if your TC is still the original, that could be the culprit. I think everyone around here that had 'em replaced got it done under warranty. And, it was pretty much just that annoying sound. No other performance affect.

If that's not it, I'm wondering if you're just experiencing the normal low rough rumble of the MDS in 4-cyliner mode. It kicks in at way too low a speed for my tastes, and unless you're going at highway speeds, you can definitely hear and feel it. Most guys here just set the max gear to 5 manually. Tow-haul will do the same thing gearwise, but also changes shift points I think.
Thanks man, I really appreciate the info! When I got off work today, I used the shifter to max at 5 and I was amazed of the difference it made, you can really tell it. I was wanting to see if it still did the same thing while out of MDS mode, but its raining so freaking hard today I cant really tell, but the next chance I get, im going to take it in and have the TC checked and the manifold bolts, heard that also could be an issue? Not really sure. I just bought it maybe a month ago and got an extended warranty so it will all be covered, either way, im gonna bug the piss out of them until they find out what it is and fix it.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 crew cab 2wd
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:119
Mopar Big Horn will become famous soon enoughMopar Big Horn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers1804 View Post
Not sure if anyone else has had the same problem, but here recently, when i get to a cruising speed and let off of the gas then accelerate slightly, im getting this weird grinding noise...sounds like its coming from the motor but it doesnt sound like its coming from inside of the motor. It doesnt effect the performance of my truck at all. I have contacted the Ram dealership and had a service tech ride with me so he could listen to it. Theyre telling me it may be some type of module for the MDS system when it reduces to lesser cylinders??? Just curious if anyone else has had this problem.

`2011 Ram BigHorn Hemi
I took my truck to the dealership to have them check the TC for similar reason... They drove for 30-40 minutes and said they didn't notice anything wrong and hooked it to computer to see if it would throw any codes and it didn't. They do have it on record now at least. For a week now I have been setting the max gear at 5 and what a difference it makes; drives, rides, and sounds 10 times better and I am getting a little better mpg. Next time I take the truck in to be serviced I'm going to ask them if the problem could be something with MDS.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Big Horn View Post
I took my truck to the dealership to have them check the TC for similar reason... They drove for 30-40 minutes and said they didn't notice anything wrong and hooked it to computer to see if it would throw any codes and it didn't. They do have it on record now at least. For a week now I have been setting the max gear at 5 and what a difference it makes; drives, rides, and sounds 10 times better and I am getting a little better mpg. Next time I take the truck in to be serviced I'm going to ask them if the problem could be something with MDS.
They did the exact same thing with mine. Then I get a call and they tell me they think it may be a module for the MDS. And never said anything about fixing it, they just said, "Yeah, we think this is what the sound is coming from." So Im going to be calling the service manager and raising a little bit of hell.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 crew cab 2wd
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:119
Mopar Big Horn will become famous soon enoughMopar Big Horn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers1804 View Post
They did the exact same thing with mine. Then I get a call and they tell me they think it may be a module for the MDS. And never said anything about fixing it, they just said, "Yeah, we think this is what the sound is coming from." So Im going to be calling the service manager and raising a little bit of hell.
Keep us posted on what they say and do, if they do anything at all, and if they do something did it actually work.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Big Horn View Post
Keep us posted on what they say and do, if they do anything at all, and if they do something did it actually work.
No, prob. I definitely will. I know there are a few people on here that are having the mysterious noise, so hopefully it can get resolved.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well, time for a little update....So I called the dealership Monday and they scheduled for me to come in this morning. I go in and they have a transmission tech drive it around. One tech keeps talking about the noise being an "MDS Growl" Sounds like complete BS to me! It didnt do that when I bought it! On the other hand, the transmission tech understands what I am talking about and wants me to bring it back in monday to leave it so they can dig into it and resolve the issue.....so it looks like ill be getting a loaner....not happy about leaving my truck, but hopefully it gets straightened out! Anyways, thats all I have for an update at this point, hope everyone is doing well.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Another update....So......today is the dreaded day I have to drop off my truck at the dealership for their loaner I really hate having to do this lol. But hopefully they wont have to keep it there too long and I will have some info for all of you regarding the problem.