DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-25-2014, 05:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 CC Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Rockwell is on a distinguished road
Default No coasting for you!

Wondering if anyone else notices that these newer Rams lack the ability to coast in gear. Tranny in 5, tow/haul mode off and it seems I must continually have some pressure on the fuel pedal. It simply wont "coast", or roll with the terrain, not even down a grade, unless its very steep. Why does the motor continuously hold the truck back with no throttle? Its not major in anyway, not like a brake hanging. Seems to me MPG would be way better if the truck were able to "coast" rather than require constant throttle, even down hill!
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Flame Red
Rep:12
kilrram is on a distinguished road

Are you talking about engine braking? Most combustion engines with an automatic trans will have this (except rotary & turbine - maybe a few others) because of the compression in the cylinders when there's not enough fuel to maintain a constant speed or cause acceleration. You would be able to 'coast' if you were driving a vehicle with a manual trans by pushing in the clutch which will disconnect the engine from the trans. That not a very scientific explanation, but I think you can get the point.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:28 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Rep:12
MotoAce51 is on a distinguished road

I would agree. It should coast easier. Even if it was a little bit. There is always a drag n the truck.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:28 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Color: Blue
mountie816 is on a distinguished road

Try getting up to a decent speed then put it in neutral. If coasts easily in neutral then you know it's not the driveline.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Kilrram & Mountie, my truck will "free roll" just fine. Sure, if I put the truck in N then its just a rolling mass that will roll without drag.

What Im saying is this. The gearing of the truck, or for whatever reason, the truck does not coast in gear worth a darn. An example, i`m cruising on flat ground at 50MPH and I begin to descend a slight downgrade. At this point I let off the throttle completely to take advantage of the terrain and let the down grade naturally maintain my speed. At this moment, even though im in gear, with no throttle at all, the truck should either maintain or increase speed via the fact im going downhill. My truck does not, and in fact it even begins to defy the downhill terrain and slow down!

MotoAce said it perfectly, there is ALWAYS a drag on the truck that requires slight fuel to overcome, even downhill (with the exception of steep declines).

An exaggerated way of saying it...Its as if the truck knows only two things, accelerate, or decelerate. No in between.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:07 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:338
TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

You are noticing Decel Fuel Shut Off (DFSO). When you go to closed throttle, the fuel to the engine is shut off (to improve fuel economy). Since the driveline is now spinning the engine, there is some noticeable drag as you "coast." The trans will also downshift sooner than you might expect, in order to keep the engine speed high enough to instantly "re-light" it if you tip into the gas.

Does this actually give you better fuel economy? Well, obviously an engine burning NO fuel is getting better economy than an engine burning SOME fuel, but it really depends on how far you are coasting. If you just coast for a short distance, and still have to hit the brakes (when you get to the stop sign or corner), then DFSO will save you some fuel. If you coast for 1/4 mile coming up to the stop sign (and DFSO drags the truck down so much that you have to step back into the gas to make it to the stop sign), then the fuel savings are more questionable.

I don't like the drag, either, so I simply shift into Neutral when coasting. The owner's manual will warn you never to coast in Neutral, but if the engine is still running (and therefore, the trans has lubrication) you won't damage the trans by coasting. Of course, when coasting in Neutral (engine running) you are burning more fuel than you would coasting in gear (with DFSO, no fuel being used), but since you can coast FARTHER than you could in DFSO-mode, you might come out ahead overall.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

WHOA! Thank you! Now I understand. I was unaware DFSO even existed! I still don't like it, but at least now I understand the what & why of it. This makes perfect sense to me and is exactly what it feels like, like the wheels (driveline) are powering the motor. Almost no different than pull starting a manual diesel. I get it.

Seems to me, there should be a delay feature for DFSO, lets say 20 seconds. If no throttle for 20 seconds, employ DFSO. Would be great if it were customizable in the EVIC

Out of curiosity, when DFSO is active and kills the fuel feed, does it also kill spark? Or are the plugs still firing for "instant on" when fuel is reintroduced?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:44 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:338
TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
.... Seems to me, there should be a delay feature for DFSO, lets say 20 seconds. If no throttle for 20 seconds, employ DFSO. Would be great if it were customizable in the EVIC

Out of curiosity, when DFSO is active and kills the fuel feed, does it also kill spark? Or are the plugs still firing for "instant on" when fuel is reintroduced?
Sorry, no delay in DFSO. We are trying to eke out every possible bit of fuel economy.

I'm not an engine controls expert, but my guess would be that spark is also disabled.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Laramie Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
drew7811 is on a distinguished road

Interesting. I have learned something new today.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:43 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Copperhead Pearl
Rep:136
Sideshow48 will become famous soon enoughSideshow48 will become famous soon enough

Personally, when I take my foot off the gas I would expect it to decelerate...that's the reason I take my foot off the pedal in the first place.