DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > MDS

Notices

MDS Multi Displacement System Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 5.7
Trim Level: SLT Quad cab 4x4
Color: champane gold
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
gadgetkeith is on a distinguished road
Default how to tell if you have MDS or not

hi all
how can you tell if you have MDS or not
i have read plenty of threads saying pre 2006 was not fitted with MDS
i have a 2004 i got second hand a few months back and not sure if its had an egine swap or not etc
when driving it ie sensibly you can feel it drop into ie overdive or somthing as the engine note and feel just seems dull etc as mentioned like a UPS truck
if you do kick down it picks up and goes as it should
i have tried the tow/haul on colum shift lever and it seems to disable it as mentioned if its fitted
but as i say its a 2004 5.7 hemi magnum
and from what i read every where it should not have MDS on this year
what is the correct way to tell if you have it or not
also where are the engine and chassis numbers so i can check to see if they match and the engine is still stock that it was fitted with
as i say i am not sure if its MDS i an experiencing or not but it definatly feels like it drops to 4cyl and just burbles along until you kick it down and then shes up and away again and the tow/haul does seem to eliminate it

thanks keith

Last edited by gadgetkeith; 02-15-2014 at 11:49 AM. Reason: ,,
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2014, 01:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

MDS didn't come out until 06 in the Rams. 05 in LX cars. It works great imho, my 05 Dodge Magnum RT has it and I really wish my Ram did as well. My friend's 06 Laramie gets 2 more mpg than mine when I've driven it. Easiest way to get it would be to trade up to 06 or newer 1500. Of course you won't get the sexy head lites that our trucks have! To swap in mds would require a different ECM and a motor from an 06 up. I guess if you can get 22 mpg on the highway, like my friend 06. You probably could check motor number against the chassis#. I've heard horror stories where the number under the windshield was swapped onto a stolen vehicle. I talked to a guy that built his Ram from 3 different wrecks.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW

Last edited by hydrex; 02-15-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Agree 06 however the OP mentioned a possible engine swap and what he described sounds exactly how mine behaves when dropping in and out of MDS.