DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-12-2014, 02:15 AM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1475
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of
Default 2013 Laramie LED Tails Installed

I have (finally!) installed and finished my goal of installing 2013 Laramie (chrome) LED tail lights on my 2012 Laramie. Due to the LEDs not being compatible with all Rams 2012 and older, this required a special harness to be created in order to make the 2013 tails plug and play on older Rams.

For those unfamiliar with this project, I followed the instructions found here.

I tried to keep these harnesses as clean as possible since just because there is enough room to cram all the wires behind the tail light, doesn't mean you have to cram them in. I am also a neat freak with severe OCD so, yeah. There you have it.

This is the harness with connections made and before tapping the resistor in (pardon the masking tape labels, it was a simple method for me to know which wire was which at a glance - it gets confusing and I got tired of referring to the instructions over and over to re-orientate myself with the plugs)

Resistor added

Reverse plug added and all connections heat shrinked and insulated

It is suggested/mentioned in the instructions to use aluminum plates to mount the resistors to, however a wise man (Arth) once told me that doing so would kind of defeat the purpose of this project being plug-and-play and I agreed. So, my resistors are stuffed to the bottom of the space behind the tail lights and I zip-tied the wires up top. There is a slight concern that I will have a rattle sound from the resistors striking the inner wall. I will have to drive some to see if this is an issue, but I am about 75% positive that this will not be a problem (and even if they do rattle, I doubt I will be able to hear them and they won't cause any damage where they are).

I absolutely love the side marker LEDs. I honestly hadn't noticed this feature on 13s and was pleasantly surprised to see them illuminate.

These suckers are flipping BRIGHT! I had a fleeting thought that these could be borderline illegal - but then it dawned on me that, duh!, these are OEM on 2013+ so I don't have anything to worry about. But, DAMN! Hello illumination! Needless to say, there is no way anyone will ever question what my truck is doing or about to do with all the exterior lights I have now!

PICTURE TIME!!

Running lights without flash

Running lights with flash (gotta love how that chrome shines, even at night!)

Left profile to show Big Rigs and side tail light markers

Right profile to show Big Rigs and side tail light markers

Brake lights with flash (I tried without flash but my camera was flooded with the brightness and couldn't take a picture,

Reverse with flash

Reverse without flash
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2014, 02:23 AM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1962
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Great job on the install Kai! I'd give you some reps but apparently I need to spread some more around first. I'll try to keep you in mind to hit you up when I can.

I definitely like the look of the 2013 OEM LED's. I plan on putting a set of the sport ones in my truck down the road.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 02-12-2014, 03:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

I need to get a better camera.

I agree I just got my set up and running as well and I forgot how bright the dang things are. Great work. My harness looks just like that except I have a bit more wire length.

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500
Rep:82
Brad Pitt will become famous soon enough

Nice work!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:10 AM
Man Up And Cam Up

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1010
Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

Awesome awesome job, very excellent write up. Those lights look really good on your truck and that wiring harness looks better than what most aftermarket lights come with lol. two thumbs up and great job
Old 02-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Ram Ham

KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Great job on the install Kai! I'd give you some reps but apparently I need to spread some more around first. I'll try to keep you in mind to hit you up when I can.

I definitely like the look of the 2013 OEM LED's. I plan on putting a set of the sport ones in my truck down the road.
Thanks, Brandon.. it was a fun, albeit a drawn out, project lol! I'm sure the sport version will look great on your truck. I opted for the Laramie version since, well.. the little touch of chrome and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post
I need to get a better camera.

I agree I just got my set up and running as well and I forgot how bright the dang things are. Great work. My harness looks just like that except I have a bit more wire length.
A good camera is worth its weight in gold. Yeah, these things are blinding in comparison to my 2012 OEM tails. The difference between the two and the pure intensity of these 13's are just insane.. I like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Pitt View Post
Nice work!!!
Many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamanhart View Post
Awesome awesome job, very excellent write up. Those lights look really good on your truck and that wiring harness looks better than what most aftermarket lights come with lol. two thumbs up and great job
Thanks much! David (the Husband) gets the credit for knowing how to do the wiring.. he walked me through it and I followed along - he made one harness while I mirrored him and made the other one. The heat shrink was fun to play with - awesome how it works and makes everything look so neat and tidy! Soldering is an interesting thing.. its a delicate process that takes steady hands and now David is swearing that anytime he needs to solder something, he's going to bring it to me. LOL! I can't do it by myself, but under supervision and guidance, I guess I'm pretty good at it. :P
Old 02-16-2014, 04:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Sport Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:28
TurboCup87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA1OTE View Post
I have (finally!) installed and finished my goal of installing 2013 Laramie (chrome) LED tail lights on my 2012 Laramie. Due to the LEDs not being compatible with all Rams 2012 and older, this required a special harness to be created in order to make the 2013 tails plug and play on older Rams.

For those unfamiliar with this project, I followed the instructions found here.

I tried to keep these harnesses as clean as possible since just because there is enough room to cram all the wires behind the tail light, doesn't mean you have to cram them in. I am also a neat freak with severe OCD so, yeah. There you have it.

This is the harness with connections made and before tapping the resistor in (pardon the masking tape labels, it was a simple method for me to know which wire was which at a glance - it gets confusing and I got tired of referring to the instructions over and over to re-orientate myself with the plugs)

Resistor added

Reverse plug added and all connections heat shrinked and insulated

It is suggested/mentioned in the instructions to use aluminum plates to mount the resistors to, however a wise man (Arth) once told me that doing so would kind of defeat the purpose of this project being plug-and-play and I agreed. So, my resistors are stuffed to the bottom of the space behind the tail lights and I zip-tied the wires up top. There is a slight concern that I will have a rattle sound from the resistors striking the inner wall. I will have to drive some to see if this is an issue, but I am about 75% positive that this will not be a problem (and even if they do rattle, I doubt I will be able to hear them and they won't cause any damage where they are).

I absolutely love the side marker LEDs. I honestly hadn't noticed this feature on 13s and was pleasantly surprised to see them illuminate.

These suckers are flipping BRIGHT! I had a fleeting thought that these could be borderline illegal - but then it dawned on me that, duh!, these are OEM on 2013+ so I don't have anything to worry about. But, DAMN! Hello illumination! Needless to say, there is no way anyone will ever question what my truck is doing or about to do with all the exterior lights I have now!

PICTURE TIME!!

Running lights without flash

Running lights with flash (gotta love how that chrome shines, even at night!)

Left profile to show Big Rigs and side tail light markers

Right profile to show Big Rigs and side tail light markers

Brake lights with flash (I tried without flash but my camera was flooded with the brightness and couldn't take a picture,

Reverse with flash

Reverse without flash

You mentioned "in the instructions." Was this a kit? Where would it be available? Roughly what is the cost?

Looks great! Thanks for posting.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCup87 View Post
You mentioned "in the instructions." Was this a kit? Where would it be available? Roughly what is the cost?

There is a kit.. to some degree.

Mopar Online Parts sells some of the pieces required for this kit.

They will sell you the 13 tails and the connector for the 13 tails. You have to buy the connectors for the truck side reverse and brake functions as well as load resistors.

If you check out here you will find what I am talking about. Click on instructions and they include website links on were to find the other parts.

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:18 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Awesome job and writeup with pics, thanks for posting your results with the detailed how-to. Well deserved reps,
Old 02-20-2014, 12:07 AM
Ram Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCup87 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post
There is a kit.. to some degree.

Mopar Online Parts sells some of the pieces required for this kit.

They will sell you the 13 tails and the connector for the 13 tails. You have to buy the connectors for the truck side reverse and brake functions as well as load resistors.

If you check out here you will find what I am talking about. Click on instructions and they include website links on were to find the other parts.
Turbo:
Arth explained it perfectly. I posted the link to the instructions in my original post, but his link includes suggested links to where you can buy the necessary parts to create and build the harnesses needed to make these tail lights plug and play in 2012 and older Rams.

As for the cost, it cost me approximately $120 to acquire all the needed components to make the harnesses. So, $120 plus the cost of the actual 2013 tail lights, I spent a total of around $250 on this project. I must note that this is not a usual cost for this, as I got my tails for a steal of around $120. If you can find a deal like that, go for it! But please do not expect to have the same results as me. LOL! I sound like one of those weight watcher commercials!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
Awesome job and writeup with pics, thanks for posting your results with the detailed how-to. Well deserved reps,
Appreciated, thanks much! As always, I love to share with others how I have added (or upgraded) lights on my beauty.