DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-26-2014, 10:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
NY Ram 86 is on a distinguished road
Default Best Place To Purchase HID Kit?

I have found two websites that have been mentioned throughout the threads where I can buy HID kits. The price difference is pretty substantial as well. DDM and retro are the two that I have been looking at, and both seem to be the same. Except for price. Any suggestions between the two? Or another/better place?

Last edited by NY Ram 86; 01-26-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Man Up And Cam Up

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1010
Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

The difference really between the 2 is the locations. DDM is a china located facility and warehouse so there prices are lower but you will pay more for shipping as well as wait longer to get the parts. I have heard both good and bad things about them but for the price of a kit its kind of expected... I personally have a retro solutions kit which is great and i have had very little trouble but the factor i looked at when i bought is shipping time not just for the initial purchase but for issues as well, i had a ballast go out in the first 2 weeks and after 2 minutes on the phone a new one was at my door in 2 days free of charge from retro, That being said im sure DDM will back there products but when you have one go down the down time will be quite a bit larger being it will come from china.

The other place i have gotten HID stuff from is theretrofitsource, they supplied all of my parts for my retro fit and to be honest if i ever have to buy another kit i will probably go through them, prices are comparable with retro solutions but i have found there quality to be marginally better with there harnessings and the customer service is a little easier to deal with

This is all just my .02 hope it can help
Old 01-27-2014, 10:30 AM

Kamanhart, That helps a lot. Thanks for the advice. I'll also check out the retrofit shop.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:34 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:92
Talon66 will become famous soon enough

Ive been running DDM Tuning HIDs for 3~4 years now, and havent had an issue with the Ballasts yet. I would say bulbs too, but I switch bulbs out all the time. Not due to failure, but because I try out different Temperature bulbs to see which I like more.

Even with shipping DDM is stil 50% cheaper then Retro. Im not saying Retro isn't good at all, I personally can't justify the price difference. Im sure if I tried Morimoto HIDs Id be satisfied with them, but Im not willing to shell out the cash to see if they are worth it.
Mods: 4500K HID headlights(55w) & Fogs(35w), Custom Dual Relay Harnesses, Tinted, Debadged, blacked out emblems, Stainless Works LT Headers, Magnaflow #12569, Kicker Soundgate, Diablo DCX - HF Tuned
Old 01-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Man Up And Cam Up

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1010
Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ram 86 View Post
Kamanhart, That helps a lot. Thanks for the advice. I'll also check out the retrofit shop.
No problem man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon66 View Post
Ive been running DDM Tuning HIDs for 3~4 years now, and havent had an issue with the Ballasts yet. I would say bulbs too, but I switch bulbs out all the time. Not due to failure, but because I try out different Temperature bulbs to see which I like more.

Even with shipping DDM is stil 50% cheaper then Retro. Im not saying Retro isn't good at all, I personally can't justify the price difference. Im sure if I tried Morimoto HIDs Id be satisfied with them, but Im not willing to shell out the cash to see if they are worth it.
Talon i wasnt trying to come off as putting down DDM i honestly have a Kit of theres on order for my KC light conversion there prices are incredible, i was just meaning for my must have head lights IF something goes wrong its nice to have it fixed asap but i agree the prices are amazing
Old 01-27-2014, 11:10 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

HID lights that I installed on my 2013 Outdoorsman.

For low beam, quad headlight H11, I went with Retro Solutions 5000K HID Low Beam 55 Watt with wiring harness. Works and no problems.

Fog lights 9600, I went with DDM Tuning 3000K HID Fog 35 Watt with wiring harness. Works and no problems.

This is what worked for me. Your experience may be different as Ram trucks are unique and some have daytime running lights and LED lights which I don't have.

Greg

Old 01-27-2014, 12:12 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:92
Talon66 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamanhart View Post
Talon i wasnt trying to come off as putting down DDM i honestly have a Kit of theres on order for my KC light conversion there prices are incredible, i was just meaning for my must have head lights IF something goes wrong its nice to have it fixed asap but i agree the prices are amazing
Sorry if it sounded like I was going after you, I wasnt. Just giving my 2 pennies on DDM
Mods: 4500K HID headlights(55w) & Fogs(35w), Custom Dual Relay Harnesses, Tinted, Debadged, blacked out emblems, Stainless Works LT Headers, Magnaflow #12569, Kicker Soundgate, Diablo DCX - HF Tuned
Old 01-27-2014, 12:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Express RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Rep:10
GilAlex is on a distinguished road

Went with ProTuningLabs HIS-PRO-YD-DR09-HL-BK. 10000K 35 watt HID low beams with CCFL rings and 6 LEDs. They provided a wire harness to the battery. I used a separate harness from iJDMTOY for the rings and LEDs. Harness comes with resistors.
I too have a 13 Express.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. Now would anyone be able to give me some guidance as far as LED changeover goes? I've had a hell of a time installing, removing, reinstalling and finally removing the LEDs I purchased because they just aren't working properly. I keep getting error messages and just today one of my bulbs stopped working.