DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-23-2014, 11:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:26
Lincoln5.7 is on a distinguished road
Default General Questions on lowering?

I have some questions on a drop kit for my truck.
1. the only possible kit that was reputable was a McGaughy 2/4 drop with coils in the front and a flip kit with shackles in the back but im a little hesitant for a flip kit install...are there any other options? (2008 model)
2. what are the things to worry about with a flip kit as far as towing capacity goes? and other issues?

anyone that has experience or knowledge on this subjects input would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Bullydog GT Programmer Tuner, Flowmaster 40 series, 2 Polk MM1040's, 85mm Throttle body, Volant Powercore CAI, McGaughy 2in drop shackles, 22x10 srt10 rims, CCFL Halos, Belltech Street Performance Shocks.
Soon to come: 4.56's and Pacesetter LT with Y-pipe, Cat delete.
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2014, 11:31 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The flip kit is the easiest way to go and very common with no issues. It's popular because it doesn't change the suspension, you're just relocating the axle to the top of the leaf spring. You can come down 4" without a flip kit by using shackles instead.

If you're towing regularly or a heavy load then most of us would recommend installing a set of helper bags, but you shouldn't have any issues with normal towing with just a 2/4 kit.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:44 PM

Default Re

Ive heard some bad things about a flip kit pulling the drive shaft back like a 1/4 an inch and possibly causing a U joint t break.

the kit I was looking at is a flip kit with shackles and bump stops...im curious on why I need shackles if the drop kit already does 4 inches or vise versa.
Bullydog GT Programmer Tuner, Flowmaster 40 series, 2 Polk MM1040's, 85mm Throttle body, Volant Powercore CAI, McGaughy 2in drop shackles, 22x10 srt10 rims, CCFL Halos, Belltech Street Performance Shocks.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:50 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Satin Orange
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all
Default General Questions on lowering?

tack weld your perches. 7 years with my flip kit and is just fine. did lose a driveshaft though but that was 4 years later and happened the day after putting in 4.88's.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:16 AM

if I can come down 4 inches with shackles only then why do I need the flip kit as well? the mcgaughy drop is a 2/4.5 so wouldn't shackles and a flip kit put me over the 4.5 mark?

also I had a question about replacement shocks...I was looking at the belltech street performance shocks but those are intended for a 4 inch drop in the rear so can I still put those shocks on the 4.5 drop? if not what are some good shocks to get for my year model truck? and will getting performance shocks help me not to lose too much towing capacity?

thanks for your input.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:27 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

I think that was a typo. You can drop 2" with shackles, not 4".

As for the shocks, I think they would work fine. Most shocks are listed for a range of drop anyway. Like a 0-2" drop or a 2-4" drop, etc. Using 4" drop shocks on a 4.5" drop will only reduce the length of extension by 1/2". Chances are you won't see quite 4.5" of actual drop out of the kit anyway.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
I think that was a typo. You can drop 2" with shackles, not 4".

As for the shocks, I think they would work fine. Most shocks are listed for a range of drop anyway. Like a 0-2" drop or a 2-4" drop, etc. Using 4" drop shocks on a 4.5" drop will only reduce the length of extension by 1/2". Chances are you won't see quite 4.5" of actual drop out of the kit anyway.
is there anyway that with that drop kit my front end will be sitting higher than m rear? that's the number one thing I don't want
Old 01-28-2014, 11:49 PM

starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

With the shackles? No chance the back will sit lower than the front. With the flip kit and springs? I can't say for certain because I have no experience with it but I would say it's unlikely. Most trucks sit 2.5-3" higher in the back from the factory so a 2/4.5" drop should put it somewhere between dead level and very slightly higher in the back. That being said, it's my opinion that trucks that measure dead level will often look higher in the front. Another factor is whether you get 4'5" of actual drop from the flip. There are enough variables that I would spend some time searching for info on that kit online. I can guarantee there are several out there already.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
With the shackles? No chance the back will sit lower than the front. With the flip kit and springs? I can't say for certain because I have no experience with it but I would say it's unlikely. Most trucks sit 2.5-3" higher in the back from the factory so a 2/4.5" drop should put it somewhere between dead level and very slightly higher in the back. That being said, it's my opinion that trucks that measure dead level will often look higher in the front. Another factor is whether you get 4'5" of actual drop from the flip. There are enough variables that I would spend some time searching for info on that kit online. I can guarantee there are several out there already.
okay ive done every research possible for about the last 2 weeks and measured my stock height right now. so far everything loos good but theres only one this holding me back and that is loss in tow capacity. I don't tow really heavy stuff but a shop that I called said he wouldn't recommend going over 500 pounds in the bed?? is that correct?? id still like to be able to haul around my 4 wheeler which is about 600 pounds so im a little worried.

thanks for your input
Old 01-30-2014, 03:49 PM

I don't know a lot about the flip kit as I opted for lowering shackles on my truck. What little research I have done pretty much seems to match what you were told....that amount of lowering will seriously affect your hauling/towing capacity. As CdnoilRAM mentioned, a set of helper bags might be an option but once again I'm not knowledgeable enough about them to help you decide. The big questions is how much weight you will be able to haul before you start hitting the bump stops and that's going to be tough to answer.

You could always consider going with the shackles and maybe even removing your overload springs. This combo should get you a true 2-2.5" drop. This isn't the 4.5" drop that a flip kit will get you but it's cheaper and will retain much more of the stock hauling/towing capacity. Forumz member ORT did this to his truck and has hauled 800 pounds in the bed with no issues.