DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-15-2014, 01:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light
Question specific Bed lighting question

for those who have put LEDs in their bed. Do you like it on the sides under the rails? Or on a tonneau cover?

With my fiberglass tonneau cover, I'm thinking about putting 3 of the linked lights on my tonneau cover. spanning from the left and right side, like in the middle, and one at the tailgate area, then the middle, then up by the cab.

Think that would light things up better than on the sides?

Also. would 14 gauge be too small to go from there to the battery?

Thanks!

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=109355_0_0_
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2014, 07:35 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Mock up several different mounting and placement locations, and go with the one that you think looks the best, while giving you the amount of light that you're looking for.

Are you looking to just add some accent lighting or are you looking to provide enough light to "do some work" in the bed?

I think it all comes down to personal preference. I personally like the "dome light effect", as I don't feel that the under rail lights provide enough light as a rule (there are always exceptions).

Here is a thread I started for my tonneau cover dome light project. Unfortunately I never got to finish it, as I traded my truck in last weekend.

There are many other threads dealing with bed lighting as well. You should have plenty to compare to before you start your own project.

good luck and be sure to post pics when you get 'er done

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 01-16-2014, 12:23 AM

Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

basically when I open it up, hit the switch, I want to see Everyythingg. haha. which is why i think on the tonneau cover like yours would suit me better.
Green Interior LEDs
Old 01-16-2014, 08:35 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:139
SShadow1974 will become famous soon enoughSShadow1974 will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I currently have an SnapOn LED work light velcroed to the underside of my vinyl flip cover... But after reading about a wiring spot under the sill of the rear drivers side... I've been considering running LED strip lights along the bed and wiring it into the cargo light.
I haven't looked closely yet, but I have a drop in bed liner, so I am not sure if I can get from the bed into the cab without drilling... Project for a warmer, sunny day.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:06 PM

haha see thats my though. Most of the guys ive seen on here with the side leds, have the Bakflips or a cover the flips. well i have a fiberglass one, I feel like on there would be the best option. Plus yeah, it would loooooook to be easier to install hah
Green Interior LEDs