DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
NY Ram 86 is on a distinguished road

I am ordering my LED's now for my interior and license plates and the website is asking if my vehicle is "w/ projector h/l" or "wo projector h/l?" I have no clue what this means.
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ram 86 View Post
I am ordering my LED's now for my interior and license plates and the website is asking if my vehicle is "w/ projector h/l" or "wo projector h/l?" I have no clue what this means.
Some sites are a little bit confusing to navigate, this default question is referring to your headlights, whether they came with the factory projector headlights or standard halogen headlights.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterdriver View Post
Some sites are a little bit confusing to navigate, this default question is referring to your headlights, whether they came with the factory projector headlights or standard halogen headlights.
How exactly do I know if I have projector H/Ls?

I also looked up how to install the HID kits and it requires grounding? How difficult is this? I truly have never done anything like this and I am very excited to do this and just want to install it correctly. I am looking at some Xenon HID Conversion Kits right now; I am able to install these in the factory headlight casing correct? And another option it asks for is the warning cancellers, is this something that I will have to get as well? I know, or think, that Xenon is a good brand, is there any other good quality brands out there that I can look at?

Last edited by NY Ram 86; 01-13-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

I also looked up how to install the HID kits and it requires grounding? How difficult is this? I truly have never done anything like this and I am very excited to do this and just want to install it correctly. I am looking at some Xenon HID Conversion Kits right now; I am able to install these in the factory headlight casing correct? And another option it asks for is the warning cancellers, is this something that I will have to get as well? I know, or think, that Xenon is a good brand, is there any other good quality brands out there that I can look at?
You either have 4 headlights which are standard halogen or you have the projector style, they look like a half concave glass lens about 2 inches across, that is the projector style, if you have these from factory you are half way to installing HID lights.the correct way, that is the kits most are talking about. The light output with an HID conversion using your factory projector style headlight (if that is what you have) are far superior to factory halogen style headlights. There are tutorials near the top of this section along with a load of write-ups on how people have installed these. Some people have had issues, the majority have not, your best to start reading to arm yourself to help you decide. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:01 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

Quote:

Xenon, is not a brand name or a company. It is a type of bulb even though company's selling headlights
reference the Xenon as part of there name or product.

Grounding of the lights is part of the wiring that comes with the light kits. If you purchase a CanBus light kit or get a HID kit with a wiring harness grounding is part of the kit.

The HID lighting kits are fairly much plug & play, but you must be able to follow instructions and have some understanding (when instructions don't explain) how to do electrical wiring . Not knowing or understanding wiring basics, you will have problems installing a HID light kit. Read all the problems that people have when installing and after installing a HID kit.

This is why so many people have problems installing HID kits especially in Ram trucks. If you install the HID kit incorrectly, you can short out the HID ballasts, or damage the trucks wiring or you can short out the TIPM module.

JMO.

Greg

Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcscott View Post
Xenon, is not a brand name or a company. It is a type of bulb even though company's selling headlights
reference the Xenon as part of there name or product.

Grounding of the lights is part of the wiring that comes with the light kits. If you purchase a CanBus light kit or get a HID kit with a wiring harness grounding is part of the kit.

The HID lighting kits are fairly much plug & play, but you must be able to follow instructions and have some understanding (when instructions don't explain) how to do electrical wiring . Not knowing or understanding wiring basics, you will have problems installing a HID light kit. Read all the problems that people have when installing and after installing a HID kit.

This is why so many people have problems installing HID kits especially in Ram trucks. If you install the HID kit incorrectly, you can short out the HID ballasts, or damage the trucks wiring or you can short out the TIPM module.

JMO.

Greg
I appreciate the advice. This is why I ask so many questions because I am not very knowledgable in this field; I do plan on trying to get some help with the installation but I also want to know what I am doing. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:13 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:16
NCBEAST is on a distinguished road

I would like to know how the LEDs turn out as well. Please keep us updated on this.

I do wonder why there is a fan included in the kit if LEDs do not put off very much heat?
Old 01-14-2014, 11:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBEAST View Post
I would like to know how the LEDs turn out as well. Please keep us updated on this.

I do wonder why there is a fan included in the kit if LEDs do not put off very much heat?
Although the bulb ( for lack of a better word) throws very little heat if at all, the base of the bulb is where the heat is created, every LED has a heat sink or cooling fins and a small micro fan for cooling all in a neat little package. I discovered what looks like an even better kit over seas online, 56 watts, putting out 2500 lumens each light for a total of 5000. They have kits for H11 and 9005 series bulb replacements. These aren't going to be HID's but if you were to replace lows and highs for a total of 10,000 lumens of light with unparalleled bulb life I'm willing to try it. The low beam kit I ordered should be here any day.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:39 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Rep:156
SShadow1974 has a spectacular aura aboutSShadow1974 has a spectacular aura about

I'm VERY interested in seeing how this turns out, Otterdriver. Take lots of pics and make notes when you install.
Subscribed!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:16 AM
R A M M S T E I N

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC Hemi
Trim Level: Sportabulous
Color: White
Rep:580
RAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to all

I run LED headlights on my HOG and KTM. Harley, and Baja Designs respectively. Bright as hell.

My interest is peeked. Do you have a link to the overseas supplier?

Thanks

* 2014 RAM Sport CC* BDS 6" Suspension* Fox 2.5 Coil-over front * Fox 2.0 rear & Pro-Ride 3" coil* 3.92 Gearing* Fuel hostages in 20x9 +1
37x12.5R20 Pro Comp Xtreme MT2
* Diablo Sport Trinity T1000 * Cabin Air Filter
* ARH LT headers * Magnaflow catback/5" tips * 87mm Ported TB * Moroso Polished Catch Can*_QTP_electric_cutout_&_3"_turn_down * Legmaker Short Ram * S&B custom filter * Outerwears Pre-filter * Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau