DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
NY Ram 86 is on a distinguished road
Default LED Lights

Looking to change out the factory lights for LED/HID lights. It's going to be a process just because of the cost but here are some questions for the 2013's.

1) For lights such as cargo, license plate, reverse, top mount break light, and map a 921 bulb is used. Will a 194 bulb work as well?

2) When switching to HID headlights/high beams/ fog lights, what is required to make this change? Is it something fairly simple to accomplish?

3) Will an LED give off the same quality as a HID when used for the front end lights?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2014, 11:05 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:86
Firemedic10584 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ram 86 View Post
Looking to change out the factory lights for LED/HID lights. It's going to be a process just because of the cost but here are some questions for the 2013's.

1) For lights such as cargo, license plate, reverse, top mount break light, and map a 921 bulb is used. Will a 194 bulb work as well?

2) When switching to HID headlights/high beams/ fog lights, what is required to make this change? Is it something fairly simple to accomplish?

3) Will an LED give off the same quality as a HID when used for the front end lights?

Thanks for the help!
There is a section specifically for light questions - but to quickly answer your questions.

1) a 194 bulb and a 921 bulb are the same. Im using a high power projector style bulb in my license plate lights and they're great!

2) If you switch to HIDs for the front, leave the high beams alone. You will not need them with HID lows and fogs. Some guys, myself included, are running CANBUS ballast HID kits. This allows us to not have to use harnesses and relays.

3) I don't believe they make an LED headlight. Stick to HIDs
Old 01-12-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemedic10584 View Post
There is a section specifically for light questions - but to quickly answer your questions.

1) a 194 bulb and a 921 bulb are the same. Im using a high power projector style bulb in my license plate lights and they're great!

2) If you switch to HIDs for the front, leave the high beams alone. You will not need them with HID lows and fogs. Some guys, myself included, are running CANBUS ballast HID kits. This allows us to not have to use harnesses and relays.

Thanks for the help. That'll save me some money on the high beams. I saw that CANBUSs can't be used on all vehicles. But they are ok on Rams?
Old 01-12-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ram 86 View Post
Thanks for the help. That'll save me some money on the high beams. I saw that CANBUSs can't be used on all vehicles. But they are ok on Rams?
Well, yes and no. I know just enough to get me by so read through some of the other threads and learn a bit more. But to answer your question, CANBUS ballasts work (in most) of the new RAMs. They some how trick the computer in to thinking everything is working and does not give u any error lights or warnings. Mine have been working fine for the past month or so. The risk u run without using a harness is that if something does go wrong, there is no inline fuse to kill the power. Some people say u run the risk of frying some of your OEM wiring. But the people I've spoke with said they have been running theirs for 6+ months with no issues. So it is all up to u.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemedic10584 View Post

Actually they do make a lot of LED headlight kits now, they come with a wide variety of applications for low and high beam or a combination of both, for all bulb sizes. The majority of kits are manufactured by CREE lighting, lots of kits on e-bay and amazon. I have ordered a kit for my truck for the low beams, I have the quad headlight set-up. The kit I ordered is an H11 , 50 watt kit, it consists of two lights, 2 driver's (ballasts) , and 2 micro cooling fans, kits are direct plug and play, no need for special wiring or add-ons. The lights put out 1800 lumens each. I think the light out-put will be between HID's and the brightest halogen bulbs you can get right now. The kit is $125, that includes shipping, can't wait to plug them in. If they are a successful venture, the best part is they have a 20,000 hour life span, give or take.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterdriver View Post
Actually they do make a lot of LED headlight kits now, they come with a wide variety of applications for low and high beam or a combination of both, for all bulb sizes. The majority of kits are manufactured by CREE lighting, lots of kits on e-bay and amazon. I have ordered a kit for my truck for the low beams, I have the quad headlight set-up. The kit I ordered is an H11 , 50 watt kit, it consists of two lights, 2 driver's (ballasts) , and 2 micro cooling fans, kits are direct plug and play, no need for special wiring or add-ons. The lights put out 1800 lumens each. I think the light out-put will be between HID's and the brightest halogen bulbs you can get right now. The kit is $125, that includes shipping, can't wait to plug them in. If they are a successful venture, the best part is they have a 20,000 hour life span, give or take.

Hmmm...be sure to update once u get them installed and tested. I may be interested in some LED lows...wasn't aware they made LED headlights. To be honest, I thought I read on here that they were illegal lol.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

I think it will catch on like crazy, I think they are just scratching the surface for oem replacement applications for North American vehicles, kind of exciting really.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:05 PM

Where is a good place to find these or HIDs? The two places I have seen are extreme bright and super bright LED.com. I still get confused when trying to order.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Depending on what your after, I simply googled H11 LED headlight kits ( because I was after the low beam kit) and quite a few kits came up, lots of distributors came up. Your pick really, from the States or over seas.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:15 PM

I got my canbus kits off ebay. I know some people don't trust ebay, but as long as the seller has close to 100% positive feedback and over 20K sells, then I think they're trustworthy. No problems out of my kits.