DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-01-2014, 02:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Sport
Rep:10
cheesenr7 is on a distinguished road
Default Increasing Towing Abilities

I hope everyone is enjoying their new year! Im stuck at work however..

Anyway,

I have a 09 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 Sport. I really like the truck and dont want to have to trade it in for something more heavy duty if I dont have to. I want to be able to tow safely a 20-24 ft enclosed car trailer.

From what I found a properly equipped quad cab 4x4 Ram this year is rated to tow up to 7700 pounds. Thats pretty close to what a trailer and car will weigh.

What Im thinking is upgrading to a 275/65-20 E rated tire, 3.92 gears and maybe some heavier duty rear springs

Im pretty confident in my 5.7 hemi having enough power as i have pulled around many cars on open trailers but Im worried about the transmission. How do our transmissions hold up over heavy towing? Should I be considering a 4.10 gear instead? I have the towing package with a cooler but maybe a bigger cooler?

Anyone out there with some advise would be great.

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2014, 02:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

sorry just realized that this is the lifting forum. Thought it was for all chassis stuff. If maybe one the moderators can move it to the proper forum.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500, Hemi, 4X4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Midnight Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
Trainwreck68 is on a distinguished road

Had the same type of question about my 2012 1500 when I upgraded my toy hauler. I was told by more than one reputable dodge mechanic that the engine AND transmission will be fine. The 5.7 and transmission combo that are in your 1500 are the same that would be in the 2500 or 3500 if you ordered them with a gas engine. The difference in the 2500 or 3500 is the frame, spring rate, and axel ratio. My 2012 1500 with the 5.7(390hp) and 392 ratio is rated to tow 10500lbs. The 355 ratio is rated at 8600lbs. My trailer is 9200lbs loaded and I have not issues at all.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Nothing you do to your truck will legally increase your tow rating. Whatever your door sticker says it is, it is. And if you get pulled over or get in an accident that's the number that the cop or insurance company will go by. I haven't heard of any way to legally increase the number no matter what you add or change.

Trainwreck, the engine itself is the same yes, but the tuning is different. The 2500/3500's hemi's are tuned to have more low end torque. But that won't be an issue at all. The transmissions are different in the 2500/3500's as well. 1500's use the 66rfe while 2500/3500's use the 68rfe which is build to handle more power and torque. Again, not a huge issue. It's the frame and suspension that's the main difference.

So my overall point is yes, you can do stuff to your truck that will make it tow better and be easier on the truck.... but that won't make your tow rating higher which can be a issue if you run into a cop or get in an accident.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 01-02-2014, 10:18 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Just a correction Brandon, the 1500s use the 545rfe up to '10 and the 65rfe (which is just a reprogrammed 545rfe) up to '13. The gas 2500s use the 66rfe and the diesels/HDs use the 68rfe.

As has been said, you can't increase the legal towing limit, but you can make your truck handle its max towing ability better. A set of helper bags will level out the squat you'll get at that weight, this is a better system than trying to use a heavier spring as you'll have some funky stance when not loaded. A gear swap will help with increasing the torque to the wheels and I'd look at a minimum of 4.10 if you're going to be paying to do a swap. If you're changing gears then install a larger rear diff pan as well. Your trans cooler is pretty good, but it's integrated into the radiator in the 4th gens, so if you want cooler fluids then you'd need a deep trans pan to hold more fluid to absorb more heat.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:06 AM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
Just a correction Brandon, the 1500s use the 545rfe up to '10 and the 65rfe (which is just a reprogrammed 545rfe) up to '13. The gas 2500s use the 66rfe and the diesels/HDs use the 68rfe.

As has been said, you can't increase the legal towing limit, but you can make your truck handle its max towing ability better. A set of helper bags will level out the squat you'll get at that weight, this is a better system than trying to use a heavier spring as you'll have some funky stance when not loaded. A gear swap will help with increasing the torque to the wheels and I'd look at a minimum of 4.10 if you're going to be paying to do a swap. If you're changing gears then install a larger rear diff pan as well. Your trans cooler is pretty good, but it's integrated into the radiator in the 4th gens, so if you want cooler fluids then you'd need a deep trans pan to hold more fluid to absorb more heat.
Thanks for the correction I was a little fuzzy on exactly what they ran in each truck... It's been a while since I read up on it. But I did know they were different.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 01-03-2014, 03:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks everyone for the input. I figured mechanically it wouldn't be to hard to increase my towing abilities. However I didnt think about the legal liabilities. Ill have to take a look at my tag but with my 20' wheels and 3.55 gear im pretty sure legally the sticker will say 6000#s which will be to little for an enclosed trailer and a vehicle. I guess I might have to look into upgrading.
Thanks for the help.