DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:10
Ungalla is on a distinguished road
Default A little new here.

As the title states, I am pretty new here, I've been just lurking around the forums, not posting or commenting for a few months now, just trying to get a feel for it. and I've noticed this is a rather nice community.

Now, onto my questions!(I'll label them for easy answering)

1.) Lifting: I want to get a cheap(ish) lift on the truck, to take it offroading, it's a 2004 ram 1500, quad cab, 4wd, Unfortunately with a 4.7 in it(I didn't even consider looking at engine size when i bought the truck, which was a foolish mistake on my part)

I ideally want to be able to take it offroading, put something bigger than 33's on it (Right now it's on stock size and height)

I was considering possibly transferring a 2500 or 3500 suspension (Front and rear) to the 1500 frame. I know it's been done to an f150 my friend has, but his father runs a custom shop and had to make a few custom modifications to make it work. I'm fine with doing this, I'm just wondering if it's possible they'll fit right up. I'm also not dead set on this method, but I want to price out some cheap(ish) options (Not putting hockey pucks under the springs cheap) I want to go up anywhere from 3-9" (I have a short girlfriend to consider)

2.) Exhaust: I also want to go to a dual exhaust, Right now it has a dual, back into a Y pipe, both cat's are before the Y pipe, so it won't change any emissions readings to cut it before Y and after the cat. I want to run the pipes short, keep it the same size as the stock pipes coming off the cat's, and run them out the sides right after the cab, and before the rear wheels. (To avoid putting the pipe in the water if i decide to say launch a boat or jetski and need to sink the rear end a bit). I also know very little on how back pressure works. I do know that if I change too much, I get a loss of power, but does anyone know how far is too far?

3.) Differential: Unfortunately, I have an open rear, and I'm not sure about the front end (Haven't thought to leave it in 4wd on a lift) but does anyone know roughly the cost of a posi-rear? Or where to get one etc.

4.) Problems: If i go up to say, 33" tires, how far will this throw off my speedo? How will the height effect my Other non suspension components(IE driveline, steering rack, etc) Do I need to buy longer drive shafts? Different UV joints? Do I need to get a Wider rack? Will this throw my ABS out of whack? I want to try to avoid throwing codes while lifting it, nothing bothers me more than a check engine light.

5.) Shits&Giggles: 5 or 6 speed manual conversion? I know the dakota uses the 4.7 liter and comes in a 5 speed, does anyone know if it's possible to put a manual trans from that into a ram 1500? How hard is that to bolt up? I have found it impossible to find a 4 door in a manual trans, and I greatly miss my stick.

Also, what diesels easily slip into a ram 1500? Or has anyone heard about putting a hemi head on the 4.7 block?

Obviously, this is a long post, and being new, that's a risky move. But if you do care to answer, feel free to address only part of the post, I wouldn't expect anyone to answer every single one of these questions. And any tips/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2013, 10:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1074
LowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud of

1. Cheapest and easiest way to lift your truck is with torsion keys. But it stiffens up the ride a lot..
Old 12-26-2013, 10:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:10
Ungalla is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the fast reply!
I've considered that, but my torsion bars are out whack, I'm 90% sure the truck was in an accident on the driver side, because on the driver side there's what appears to be a new torsion bar, while the passenger still has the old one. The truck does not look leveled, but the old torsion bar adjustment is maxed out, while the new one is all the way out (No tension) Would I need to replace the old torsion bar before doing this?
Old 12-26-2013, 10:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1074
LowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud of

yeah, I would get a new one to match the other. that way tension will be the same and the results of turning the keys should be as well.