DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 3.6 Liter Pentastar V6

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 3.6 Liter Pentastar V6 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 3.6-liter V6 engine - 305 horsepower, 265 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 V6
Rep:10
ZMW is on a distinguished road
Default Pentastar quick mods - Muffler/Air filter/TBS worthwhile?

Hi guys,

Seems like not many people have interest in modifying their 3.6L, but has anyone found it worthwhile to add a performance muffler (I was told Magnaflow 5x8x18 is the way to go), coupled with a K&N air filter and maybe a throttle body spacer.

Is there any performance gain - HP, Torque, MPG? Worth it?

Seems like all these can be done for sub $250 total as long as its just a muffler and not an entire exhaust system.

Thoughts?
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge ram 1500 Hemi
Trim Level: slt
Color: flame red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:13
Brandon Snyder is on a distinguished road

I would suggest getting the muffler and air filter but not the spacer I hear they are worthless and replacing the muffler and filter will help your engine breathe better
True dual flowmasters, 2 12 in Memphis, kicker door speakers, Kenwood head unit , 2.5 ready lift level, 33in mts, fuel hostages 17, Afe cai, bbk 85mm throttle body, weathertech floor mats, Aries bull bar , 2 kc off-road lights, superchips 3865.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:52 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

The Pentastar engine was built for MPG. and is already at its best performance.

You can change the muffler and get some noise, but no real horse power gain.

The air filter change which would be a K&N or similar will not give you any real horse power gain. It's already a good CAI. You will end up with just a cleanable air filter. The stock filter flows very good.

I put a Catch Can on mine because I had oil in my intake and I don't do WOT, just normal driving. So this was a concern for me. You can read my install thread and see pictures here: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=159713

I haven't found any performance MODS for the Pentastar engine in the Ram truck and I haven't seen anyone post a dyno run with any engine MODS.

All info is JMO. You may find something that I missed.

Greg

Last edited by gcscott; 12-12-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Crewcab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Cherry Red Pearl
Rep:43
LabattZ is on a distinguished road

I respectfully disagree that this engine is already at it's best performance.

I believe this power plant has more potential. Will an SC or Turbo be the only real viable option for performance gains? Perhaps. But until someone develops a tuner for it, it's all just a guess.

Maybe a ported TB would give better throttle response?

We're early in this engine's lifespan and utilization in this market.

My name is Andrew and I'm a Pentastar Believer.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 V6
ZMW is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabattZ View Post

I believe this power plant has more potential. Will an SC or Turbo be the only real viable option for performance gains? Perhaps. But until someone develops a tuner for it, it's all just a guess.

Wouldn't a Sc or turbo mean the transmission needs to be beefed up or replaced? Could it handle a huge upgrade in power?

If I have cash to burn I might look at that in the future. But, if there are ways to boost engine responsiveness and give the engine a little more torque I am all ears.

I will do the drop in filter that is a no brainer to me, but muffler and other items I am still undecided. Adding a muffler to a V6 concerns me, I do not want a loud V6 truck - it just seems weird.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Crewcab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Cherry Red Pearl
Rep:43
LabattZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMW View Post
Wouldn't a Sc or turbo mean the transmission needs to be beefed up or replaced? Could it handle a huge upgrade in power?
I would imagine that IF a forced induction setup is compatible with this system and you were to run low to moderate boost (6 to 9 psi), the existing zf trans could be ok. If you want to push 10+ psi, maybe a swap to the zf from the Hemi line would suffice (if it would even mate). You'd also require other supporting mods. Fuel pump, injectors, etc.

Maybe the trans for the ecodiesel would be a better mate? The torque that puppy pushes out would require a strong trans.

Who knows, i'm just spit-balling here. Granted, bolt-ons like exhaust and intake are the first steps. Hopefully a tuner will come out sooner than later and give us more options.

Either way, i'm optimistic.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:00 AM

gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

Quote:

Quote:

Who knows, i'm just spit-balling here. Granted, bolt-ons like exhaust and intake are the first steps. Hopefully a tuner will come out sooner than later and give us more options.

Either way, i'm optimistic.
I would think not much is going to be developed with this engine. JMO. With the exhaust built into the engine heads, headers are out of the picture along with a turbo charger. I don't know about changing out the intake to add a supercharger?

A ported TB. maybe possible, but a tuner, there needs to have a lot of interest to get someone to come out with one.

When I emailed Billet Technology about a Catch Can Kit for the Pentastar engine, they said they were not interested in making the kit as their was no interest form anyone else this year. Just me, I was the only one interested.

You should email the tuner manufactures and ask them if they would look into coming up with a tuner kit and see what response you get.

JMO.

Greg

Old 12-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Copperhead w/ pearl finish
DynoPax is on a distinguished road

Other Chrysler forums (Chargers, Challengers, JK's to name a few) might provide some ideas & suggestions as to what can be done with the Pentastar. I read somewhere on this forum of some aftermarket solution to slightly tune the V6 and also compatible with the Ram (Interceptor - Part #705006 - Hypertech.com)...

The 8-speed ZF (8HP45) has a torque limit of 332 ft-lbs, while the V6 max output is rated at 269 ft-lbs. There is enough room from improvement without pushing the limit too far IMO. Besides, any mods that could reach close to that limit would be cost-prohibitive, as already stated in this thread...

In this light, only DIY mods would make sense (exhaust, CAI, TB, etc) and these are not very difficult to do. I intend on trying some come next spring. The exhaust for sure, since a smaller, lighter version, even one adapted for turbocharged engines could very well do the job and alleviate a bit of the back pressure (but not too much). The CAI would also make sense, especially after inspecting the actual setup. I disagree with the general consensus that it's already an optimal solution. It can be improved upon to insure direct flow into the intake and a ported TB would definitely add to the value of this equation...

I would put much more faith in having more aftermarket solutions available for the Eco-Diesel engine. There is already a great wealth of knowledge surrounding the VM Motori power plant, and the V6 version has already proved its valor worldwide, over the last couple of years. Diesels are much easier to improve upon power-wise, and they will wield better fuel economy as an added bonus... My 2 cents!
Old 12-16-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoPax View Post
Other Chrysler forums (Chargers, Challengers, JK's to name a few) might provide some ideas & suggestions as to what can be done with the Pentastar. I read somewhere on this forum of some aftermarket solution to slightly tune the V6 and also compatible with the Ram (Interceptor - Part #705006 - Hypertech.com)
http://www.hypertech.com Interceptor - Part #705006 Pentastar 3.6L

Performance Gains at products best test:

Looks very disappointing at adding only 5-8 HP. depending on octane of gas, for $360.

Greg

Last edited by gcscott; 12-16-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:20 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 cc 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Granite
Rep:24
finn5033 is on a distinguished road

I know this thread is old but one of the main things I want to do when my Ram comes in is change the sound of the exhaust. If I do just a muffler swap for a better sound will it screw up the tune of the engine. I don't want to do it if it will. Anyone know about that? I got the 3.6 because it will be a daily driver and mpg is of big importance for me so I don't want to do anything to mess with that