DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 ram 2500 cummins
Trim Level: Slt
Color: Blue
Engine: 1996-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 215hp 440lb/ft(manual), 180hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:10
Brandon8387 is on a distinguished road
Default intake manifold questions

I have a 2012 ram hemi and I am wanting to install a better intake manifold on my truck along with a better to (Portman 90 mm) and a cai. What Intake manifolds are out there and what Tb's are the best and at what size? Also would a 6.4 intake work and would it work better than a aftermarket one? Also once I change the tb and manifold would it be recommended to run bigger injectors? I have a flow master 44 on her now but if I do all the other work I'm going to convert to true duals. My end goal is to get as much N/A power as possible with bolt ons and a tune with a cai, tb, manifold, possibly bigger injectors, true duals and a good hemi fever tune I hope to get 450 hp without any power adders. Any help with making sure I can choose the best intake man size and tb size with bigger fuel injectors and better exhaust would be great!
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 dodge ram trx4
Trim Level: trx4
Color: patriot blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
blueramtrx is on a distinguished road

check out moesperformance.com or inertiamotorsports.com they sell cams, heads, intakes etc. they should be able to steer you in the right direction. inertia even offers engine packages too.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:31 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3269
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

You probably won't like this answer, but you want to stick with the truck manifold. There are only 2 aftermarket manifolds, the XV single plane and a welded sheet metal intake from modman, neither of which are any good on the truck without forced induction. There is the option of a 6.1L manifold which will just drop on and you can use a LMI hammer intake with it, however, you don't see a whole lot of gains until you're over 4000rpm, and again, not worth it unless you're going forced induction aside from the bling factor. The 6.4L manifold would bolt on, but you'd need a custom intake given the driver-side off set of the throttle body but you'd be able to run the truck's short runner intake. Again, this isn't much of a gain over the truck manifold as you lose bottom end compared to the truck's manifold.

Also, going to a large bore throttle body is not a good idea unless you need to move big cubes of air such as with a 400+cuin block. The '87mm' throttle bodies everyone's running are in fact ported OEM bodies with a standard 80mm butterfly. A 90mm is complete overkill and since the throttle body is the last restriction in a high flowing system it really should be the last thing changed. There was a true-90mm fad about 3 years ago and it led to nothing but tuning issues and disappointment for many owners. The biggest benefit of a ported TB is better throttle response, but I would stick with a 80mm butterfly as it will flow more than enough air to feed 450rwhp.

The stock fuel pump and injectors can easily handle 450hp, it's all in the tune. Over the 450rwhp mark you'd want to look at at least a boost-a-pump if you're not willing to do a complete fuel pump conversion. We have guys running the RIPP kits on stock pump and injectors.

If you are dead set on just doing bolt-ons then have realistic goals for your power, you'll be conservatively around 375-390rwhp with a custom tune. To get higher you need to look at engine work, such as ported heads, cam, or stroker. My '07 QC with ported eagle heads was just over 400rwhp with ported heads and cam and would run a mid-13 on a 100hp shot. Down side to a cam is there's not a whole lot of people tuning the VVT engines and those that are want the vehicle on a dyno in their shop. I can only think of 3 builders that have demonstrated regular gains with their VVT tuning, several others have lost power with VVT cams, and all were on LX cars, not trucks, with the exception of Arrington who has only done 1 truck that I know of.

Last edited by CdnoilRAM; 12-07-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1996-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 215hp 440lb/ft(manual), 180hp 420lb/ft(auto)

thanks for the advice ill probably just stick to a ported tb for better response and a cai and a tune and redoing exhaust from headers all the way back. would hemifever be the best one to get the most gains out of my truck? i want to make sure whomever does my tuning is the best at it.
thanks
Old 12-07-2013, 11:38 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3269
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Hemifever does very good on canned tunes, but he has been very reluctant to do 'custom' tunes, and by that I mean taking datalogs and building very specific tunes. His tunes have been very good, I can't knock them, but they're not the most specific to a vehicle. There are many reputable tuners who can put together a good tune with some revisions to get peak performance, Johan at Diablo is one of them, I also recommend Josh at HHP who is doing all my tuning. The best tunes are ones done by Diablo CMR tuners that actually take on-vehicle driving data or do dyno tunes, everything else is just trial and error to get the best tune. Being that you're in Houston, there are several CMR tuners there who can put together a good tune for the same price as getting one from places like Hemifever.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:36
ericlee9386 is on a distinguished road

http://www.*******************/forum...-392-a-122089/ Here is some good info about a possible mod you can do to your intake. It worked on a 392 but it may not work on a 5.7
Old 12-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Also do any of u know what cam I can buy and use with factory heads and springs that will give me that Lopey idle on a vvt hemi since I have a 2012? I was thinking of a crawler but if which one. Thanks for all the advice so far yall. As far as the cam goes I want some better numbers out of it but I'm not looking for anything extraordinary mostly I wanna get that big cam sound.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram 1500 quad cab
Trim Level: sport 4x4
Color: hunter green pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
TBILLIOT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon8387 View Post
I have a 2012 ram hemi and I am wanting to install a better intake manifold on my truck along with a better to (Portman 90 mm) and a cai. What Intake manifolds are out there and what Tb's are the best and at what size? Also would a 6.4 intake work and would it work better than a aftermarket one? Also once I change the tb and manifold would it be recommended to run bigger injectors? I have a flow master 44 on her now but if I do all the other work I'm going to convert to true duals. My end goal is to get as much N/A power as possible with bolt ons and a tune with a cai, tb, manifold, possibly bigger injectors, true duals and a good hemi fever tune I hope to get 450 hp without any power adders. Any help with making sure I can choose the best intake man size and tb size with bigger fuel injectors and better exhaust would be great!
If u dont have headers yet i recommend get some arh long tubes with 1 7/8 primaries and the off road y pipe