DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Tires?
Nitto Grapplers A/T 28 17.95%
Toyo M/T 48 30.77%
Nitto Grapplers M/T 27 17.31%
Hankook dynapro M/T 12 7.69%
BFG M/T 23 14.74%
Goodyear MT/R 18 11.54%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Ram ORE 4x4 5.9L
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:55
Wh1t3nukle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
What exactly are you looking at the tire to do? Is this a functional or appearance thing.... or both?

You've got AT's and MT's mixed in the bunch you posted.....
^^^Best way to find out the approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK View Post
Im looking for the best Functional tire for me. I want to get 35" tires but Want to know how these different types of tires perform. I run on and off road. But Recently have seen that many of the trucks running the streets are running toyo's and nitto mt. Maybe they are just street princesses.

I run the Nitto AT love them, love the ride and quietness on road. But was wondering how the MT's wear over time. Plus I have about 60k on my AT's now and still have enough tread for 10-15k more or so.
You haven't answered his question (mine too). There is no way anyone can address how a tire will be "functional for you". We can assume that you are in the flat part of Texas... lol Seriously, what is your on/off road breakdown percentage? Do you enjoy mud such that you go after it? Are you in sandy or rocky type terrain? Any snow?

Going by your mileage on the ATs, you'll be very disappointed going to an MT. In general, (as I'm know there are wide performance differences on brand and actual usage) MTs squeak out in the 30-50K range on MILD usage.

Any pictures of you and rig in your worst terrain or something representative? That would help alot of people here get a gauge. There are some tires out now that are crossing b/t ATs and MTs, called aggressive ATs. lol Dick Cepek Fun Country and some others that escape at the moment, crap!

Oh on your last tire in the poll, I'm going to assume you mean the Goodyear Kevlar ones MTR/K?
Old 12-12-2013, 10:08 PM

Vehicle: 2011 ram sport crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:61
thkbaron will become famous soon enough

I will be putting a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/60/20 on my ram in about a week and will immediately be taking them on a 175 mile drive. I'll give some before and after mpg specs too. Keep in mind it's freaking cold up here in northern mn so my mileage will probably suck regardless. at least the difference between the two should be accurate. I'll also be hauling 4 tires and rims back so I'll have a bit of a load.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:03 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge 4X4 (HULK SMASH)
Trim Level: SLT Lone Star 4x4
Color: Gun Metal Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
HULK is on a distinguished road

On my Nitto AT's I do about 70% highway and 30% mud or rocky terrain. If I had a jeep then all my answers would be solved but for now I am happy with my AT's. I will say that they have seen more concrete than mud in their life.

I like the look of the toyo's and terra MT's but I just wanted to make it clear if they are making that annoying hum while traveling down the highway???

I live in the flat part of TX and don't see much of the rocky terrain of west texas but when I do go there I find myself driving my own truck around. I guess a 4 wheeler or a ATV of some sort would be better to hit those rocky trails with when hunting or just wheeling around than my everyday driver. My MPG with my AT's is about 12-14 top. and with mud it might be lower, but yet again idk that answer.

Im also going to throw on a 4"-6" suspension lift to make her a little taller because I think the Ram looks Dam Sexy with a lift. Haven't made up my mind yet about how tall to go but it will happen in January.

So Tires and wheels are in the mix as well. I just don't want to be dis satisfied like I was when I bought a set of BFG AT's only got 30K out of them, It was a Great tire to have when I was off road and didn't cake up much, but it felt like when ever I did get on the gas that 1/16 of rubber was ripped off as well.

Did this answer your questions Wh1t3nukle?
Old 12-13-2013, 02:06 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge 4X4 (HULK SMASH)
Trim Level: SLT Lone Star 4x4
Color: Gun Metal Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
HULK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkbaron View Post
I will be putting a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/60/20 on my ram in about a week and will immediately be taking them on a 175 mile drive. I'll give some before and after mpg specs too. Keep in mind it's freaking cold up here in northern mn so my mileage will probably suck regardless. at least the difference between the two should be accurate. I'll also be hauling 4 tires and rims back so I'll have a bit of a load.
Hope you have some pics of your whip when you get done putting those tire on. Would love to see them on her.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram 1500 trx4
Trim Level: Slt trx4
Color: Blue
Colindeaz is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, I'm wanting to put a pair of oval side bars/steps on my crew cab any ideas? Thanks
Old 12-22-2013, 05:23 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Ram ORE 4x4 5.9L
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:55
Wh1t3nukle will become famous soon enough

Those tires will hum. Whether it's annoying to you is a subjective matter. Those of us that got MTs accept that effect.

You getting 30K out of BFG ATs is pretty low. I've read that most people average in the high 40s and into the 50s. Lead foot maybe or fall out of balance interval??

Yeah, you answered the questions and I'd recommend some GY Duratracs. Good luck with your decision and happy holidays.

Quote:
On my Nitto AT's I do about 70% highway and 30% mud or rocky terrain. If I had a jeep then all my answers would be solved but for now I am happy with my AT's. I will say that they have seen more concrete than mud in their life.

I like the look of the toyo's and terra MT's but I just wanted to make it clear if they are making that annoying hum while traveling down the highway???

I live in the flat part of TX and don't see much of the rocky terrain of west texas but when I do go there I find myself driving my own truck around. I guess a 4 wheeler or a ATV of some sort would be better to hit those rocky trails with when hunting or just wheeling around than my everyday driver. My MPG with my AT's is about 12-14 top. and with mud it might be lower, but yet again idk that answer.

Im also going to throw on a 4"-6" suspension lift to make her a little taller because I think the Ram looks Dam Sexy with a lift. Haven't made up my mind yet about how tall to go but it will happen in January.

So Tires and wheels are in the mix as well. I just don't want to be dis satisfied like I was when I bought a set of BFG AT's only got 30K out of them, It was a Great tire to have when I was off road and didn't cake up much, but it felt like when ever I did get on the gas that 1/16 of rubber was ripped off as well.

Did this answer your questions Wh1t3nukle?
Old 12-30-2013, 01:56 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500 ST
Trim Level: ST
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
huntert is on a distinguished road

ive had my 35x12.50x18 nitto trail grapps for about 6k now and they pull really well in mud and sand. on back roads i can still get them to break loose and get into a nice slide but not near as well as my AT's did. yet this is also a good thing because you dont always wanna be sliding around! on road they behave very well, with a good alignment she'll shoot straight as an arrow down the road with my hands off the wheel. and about the HUM its just that a hum not a roar. its pretty nice even my girlfriend likes the sound they make. hope this helps in your making your decision.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:49 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Color: Black Pearl
blackram12 is on a distinguished road

I have experience with several of the nitto tires....a buddy of mine has been running the nitto dune grapplers for several years now and they are just now woren out. 58k miles on them on a 08' chevy silverado crew cab.

Another friend is running the nitto trail grappler m/t's and they are wearing really well for him as well. He is at 20k miles on them and they are just under 1/2 tread. They are not all that loud either for a m/t tire. He is running them on a nissan titan crew cab.

As for the nitto mud grapplers, I ran them on a lifted f-150 crew cab and got 20k miles out of them. I rotated them routinely and never had anything bad to say about them. They are loud on the highway, but they tear the mud up. A great aggressive m/t tire.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:52 PM

trail grapplers were great on the hwy! couldn't be happier. can't wait till spring so I can really test them out!
Old 01-03-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Hope you have some pics of your whip when you get done putting those tire on. Would love to see them on her.
Here they are.