DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-01-2013, 06:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:211
Gecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura about
Default Cam installed! (Video)

Some of you have seen my other post about the cam swap I started last weekend. Well we finished everything up on Wednesday and so far no problems. I went with the Inertia Crazy Jay Plus cam after talking with the guys at Inertia for quite some time about what I was looking to get out of my truck and what I already had done. I also used one of Inertia's authorized installers and I couldn't be more happy with everything from him.

I went to Extreme Mopar Performance in Long Island, NY to go see Mike. First let me say that Jacob from Inertia was the one who sent me to Mike and told me he had done about a dozen or so cam swaps for them this year. I gave Mike a call to just get a feel for what it was going to cost me and with a few questions about the install and he happily answered everything. On top of that he told me about some parts I was going to need that I didn't realize I needed. He then emailed me the part numbers for those parts and sent me to his parts guy who, even with all my searching around the internet, had the best prices I could find for parts.

Mike's "shop" is actually his driveway. He will be opening up an actual shop in the spring, but for now he does everything in his driveway. He also has no problems letting you hang around and help out with the install. The first day I brought my truck to him I got there around 930. I didn't leave till 5. I was there watching and helping when I could with everything that needed to be done. It was like hanging out with someone you've known for your whole life. Very relaxed and fun. Anyways, we ran into a problem on Saturday night when my valve stem seals were...well bad. I hadn't planned on having to change them so that pushed back the install a few days. But, we figured out that that was the reason for the smoke I'd been having come out of my exhaust. Oil was leaking into the valves and being burned off in the heads. Problem is fixed now and Mike didn't charge me any extra for the extra time my truck was with him.

I went back on Wednesday and helped Mike put everything back together. I was there from 3 to 11. It was freezing and raining. But Mike didn't stop and we got everything hooked back up and running great.

I also added a couple other things with the cam. I put on my 87mm TB, put in a 180* t-stat, and hooked up my new CAI, a BFI composite intake. Oh and the custom tune from Inertia (still to be completely worked out).

The truck runs completely different now. In a good way though. There is no throttle delay at all and I can feel the increase in power from before. It drives so much better than before. I can't wait for the tune to get ironed out and really see what she can do. She sounds AMAZING now too. Louder than before, which doesn't bother me, but different too. I love it!

Sorry for the long write up but I just needed to get Mike's name out there. The guy knows what he is doing and will jump through hoops to help you out. His prices can't be beat and I swear to you it will be cheaper than any shop you talk to. Anyone within a few hours and needs work done should give him a call. I know I'll be going back to him if I need any more work done. And my truck runs better now than it did!

Here is a video of the idle. This was a warm start, and you can see that I'm checking coolant levels and a couple other things while my buddy takes the video.

-Full Custom Dual Exhaust by Big Power Racing - Inertia Crazy Jay Plus Cam -Pacesetter LTs - BFI Composite #83 - Inertia Custom Tune - Dual DMH Cutouts - 87mm TB - 180* t-stat-
Sponsored links
Old 12-01-2013, 08:05 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:388
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

Nice! I just did a spartan plus which is a fairly hot cam. I had a sidewinder cam before, which I think is more like your cam, a really good torquer bottom end cam. Jacob asked me to do a sound clip which I will do, but I've had it in my shop for a complete rust proofing. I expected more lope with my spartan plus, but my dyno tuner said I gained about 20 more rwhp over the sidewinder. We still have some more tuning to do, going to raise shift points and rev limiter. BTW, nice exhaust!
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 12-01-2013, 09:40 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Color: Black
Rep:211
Gecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
Nice! I just did a spartan plus which is a fairly hot cam. I had a sidewinder cam before, which I think is more like your cam, a really good torquer bottom end cam. Jacob asked me to do a sound clip which I will do, but I've had it in my shop for a complete rust proofing. I expected more lope with my spartan plus, but my dyno tuner said I gained about 20 more rwhp over the sidewinder. We still have some more tuning to do, going to raise shift points and rev limiter. BTW, nice exhaust!
Yea I was between the Crazy Jay plus and the Spartan plus and Jacob told me to go with the Crazy Jay plus. I'm going to get another video clip of the truck driving so I can show off the WOT sound cause its MEAN! I've got to send Jacob a couple pictures anyways and the video so that will be good.

You can hear a little bit of lope in the exhaust but its not a gigantic kachunk kachunk sound
-Full Custom Dual Exhaust by Big Power Racing - Inertia Crazy Jay Plus Cam -Pacesetter LTs - BFI Composite #83 - Inertia Custom Tune - Dual DMH Cutouts - 87mm TB - 180* t-stat-
Old 12-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Rep:1893
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

wish I could watch the video on my phone. it's not working for some reason. will watch tomrw at work. congrats tho!
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:30 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Dark Red Cherry
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:201
audio1der has a spectacular aura aboutaudio1der has a spectacular aura aboutaudio1der has a spectacular aura about

1) Props for all the positive feedback for an aspiring mechanic; nice stuff to read.
2) the truck sounds badass.
Can't wait to see and hear more, hope it all works out well for ya.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Patriot Blue
Rep:1893
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

sounds awesome. I second that on another audio clip once it's all said and done.
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:49 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Congrats man! It's so nice to hear about a great mechanic that didn't rip you off and wasn't afraid to let you see their work. He probably could have cut a few corners if you weren't watching, ripped you off and charged more on the extra work to make a quick buck but he just earned probably dozens of future customers by doing a great job for you. Truck sounds great

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: silver
Rep:10
silverbullet4 is on a distinguished road

Hey man truck sounds amazing I just bought the same cam and couldn't find a sound clip on it anywhere. so thanks for that. if you don't mind me asking what other parts did you have to buy? I got the 6.1l pushrods and springs any info would be great thanks
Old 12-02-2013, 09:21 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Curious how is your exhaust set up?

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:04 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500 5.7l 4x4
Color: Silver
Rep:53
Rollers888 will become famous soon enough

Your truck sounds mean. I love it. You mention you told them what you were looking to get out of your truck, what exactly do you plan on getting out of it. I want to do a cam swap in the future and I love the way your truck is sounding.