DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500, CC/6'4", Hemi/8 spd
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:352
DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice
Default Improving factory Alpine sound?

So, I've been doing a few long drives in my Ram lately and the "premium" factory stereo is starting to bother me enough to do something about it. I mean, it's not terrible, but it's a long way from being great too. I've had other "premium" factory systems that sounded a lot better, there is obviously room for much improvement.

I've read a couple of threads about replacing the two dash speakers with Infinity Reference, and unplugging the center speaker.

I plan on doing that. But I'm also wondering if anyone has tried replacing the center speaker as well, instead of just unplugging it? I get that unplugging it helps create a stage. But, I'm wondering how it would sound just putting a decent speaker in there. If it's the same speaker as on the two sides, they are pretty cheap even for decent ones.

The sub woofer... Something has to be done. It's just so muddy and ill defined. Sounds badly under amped. Not sure the best way to go on it though. Complete replacement of everything including the amp would get pretty expensive. I read Gscott's thread about just putting a new amp on the factory sub, I might go that route. Any other thoughts on making the factory sub sound better?

Door speakers... Replacing them gets expensive fast. But, I have to think that replacing them would also make a huge difference. So, I'm thinking of doing at least just the fronts for now. Anyone replaced their door speakers? What did you use? How big was the improvement?

Anyway... All thoughts, experiences, opinions on throwing a few bucks at the "premium" Alpine system to get it sounding decent are appreciated!

- DAA
Sponsored links
Old 12-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins
Rep:41
Lizardking is on a distinguished road

The Alpine system actually stages very well if you understand SQ. The vocals are up front, centered and the drum beats behind the singer, just like at a concert. However the stage height needs to be higher....width could be a little better also. Listening to Dire Straits, Money for Nothing, the intro drum beats bounce across the dash left to right. Just as they should. Drums blend in effortlessly. Anyway, the speakers aren't the best, but do sound okay if you're not a bass head or an SPL junkie. With that said, I replaced all mine with 2 ohm speakers so not to lose volume since the factory speakers are also 2 ohm.

I did the dash speakers with JBL's and the front door speakers with custom JBL's that I made....which I used the P963,'s and got rid of the 3-way junk since you don't need it. The fronts are midrange and lows. I removed the tweeters covered the cone with a new dust..same as the factory Alpines. As for the subwoofer, the easiest thing in my opinion would be to get an amp that has hi-level inputs and tap at the sub harness after removing the factory sub. Put a decent box with a decent sub....and you will be in heaven.

I have a JBL amp, JL Audio 12W3V3 and a custom box from Netaudio waiting to be installed. I chose the 12, which will be stuffed with poly-fill, because I want it to dig deeper when needed.

Last edited by Lizardking; 12-01-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:10 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:251
SteelTownStang is a jewel in the roughSteelTownStang is a jewel in the roughSteelTownStang is a jewel in the rough

I've owned a lot of vehicles with high end equipment, both OEM and aftermarket, and while I'll agree that the Alpine system could be better, I find that it is still pretty good. Have you installed the new Uconnect update? That might help... as what your system may be experiencing is software matter rather than a hardware issue...
MODS: Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, aFe Stage II CAI, Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau, Mopar Side Steps, Mopar Mats & Bedliner, AMP Bed XTender, Daystar 2.5 Leveling Kit, Fuel Pump Black Wheels (20x9/+1 Offset), Toyo Open Country Extreme A/T Tires (35/12.50/20), Aries Stealth Bull Bar, & KC SlimLites.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:46 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: Silver
Rep:197
jaray has a spectacular aura aboutjaray has a spectacular aura about

There's no replacement for displacement, software isn't fixing this issue. It's only an 8" sub and not getting a lot of power. Just need to do it in stages instead of putting out all the money at once. It does hurt hehe.
I'm starting with the front dash speakers and front doors. My biggest decision is the Kickers or the Infinity's. I'd love to hear someone's comparisons between those two brands.
Gibson Cat-back exhaust w/black tips, S&B CAI, MGP caliper covers, Recon LED 3rd brake light, Bilstein 5100's, Daystar 1" rear coil spacers, Weathertech floor liners, Westin Ultimate series bull bar, Dee Zee Tailgate Assist, Mopar T- Handle, Kicker speaker upgrade
Old 12-01-2013, 11:06 AM

Granted, much can be done with some manufacturers 8" subs...I don't think this one is one of those.
I think for a "slightly better than average" stereo for the general public this stock Alpine is probably considered to be sufficient. They have to make these systems for the average joe. If they put in a much more powerful sub and speakers all around there would probably be people complaining that there is "too much bass" for them.
I think it stands to reason if you want more than the average person then you gotta upgrade it.
It must be tough for them to come up with something that will please everyone when you know it's impossible.
I know I need more :-)
Gibson Cat-back exhaust w/black tips, S&B CAI, MGP caliper covers, Recon LED 3rd brake light, Bilstein 5100's, Daystar 1" rear coil spacers, Weathertech floor liners, Westin Ultimate series bull bar, Dee Zee Tailgate Assist, Mopar T- Handle, Kicker speaker upgrade
Old 12-01-2013, 11:09 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500, CC/6'4", Hemi/8 spd
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Rep:352
DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

I have updated, didn't make any difference at all.

Like I said, I don't think it's terrible. But, I'd like it to be better, and know it can be. And I'm neither a bass head nor an SPL junkie, at all. Just want a stereo that isn't muddy sounding and thumping a lot of loud but underpowered and ill defined bass.

Put it this way... It's far from the best sounding factory system I have owned.

Going to start with the front dash speakers too. Anyone know if the center speaker is the same as the sides? And if they are, would anyone be interested in taking the other half of a pair? Or, for that matter, even if they aren't the same, be interested in taking one of a pair of whatever they are.

- DAA
Old 12-01-2013, 11:18 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:251
SteelTownStang is a jewel in the roughSteelTownStang is a jewel in the roughSteelTownStang is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaray View Post
There's no replacement for displacement, software isn't fixing this issue. It's only an 8" sub and not getting a lot of power. Just need to do it in stages instead of putting out all the money at once. It does hurt hehe.
I'm starting with the front dash speakers and front doors. My biggest decision is the Kickers or the Infinity's. I'd love to hear someone's comparisons between those two brands.
Didn't say it was a "fix-all", said that it "might" help as those who updated their Uconnect reported better sound quality. As you mentioned, it's better to start in stages, and in this case updating software is free...

Kicker vs. Infinity- I personally prefer Kicker. Installed their systems if several vehicles with good results. Best bang for the buck IMO.
MODS: Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, aFe Stage II CAI, Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau, Mopar Side Steps, Mopar Mats & Bedliner, AMP Bed XTender, Daystar 2.5 Leveling Kit, Fuel Pump Black Wheels (20x9/+1 Offset), Toyo Open Country Extreme A/T Tires (35/12.50/20), Aries Stealth Bull Bar, & KC SlimLites.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:20 AM

DAA, check out the Kicker 77kick42 package. It's the 3 front dash speakers upgrade. Heard good things about them and yes all 3 are the same size at 3.5" each.
If I don't like the way the center sounds, heck I'll just press that button that says "surround" which shuts it off instead of completely disconnecting it.
I'm waiting for mine to arrive that I've just purchased. Not very expensive for the set.
If I like them I'll purchase the Kicker set set for the front and back doors as well.

Like I said, I've seen a few people here saying they really liked the Infinity's too but I really doubt there's much of a drastic difference.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:23 AM

Default Speakers

I'm glad to hear how you feel about the Kickers, I've just purchased them too...I'm looking forward to hearing the difference.
It's too bad we get that nice Alpine decal which makes you think your getting a really nice Alpine system but to find out its pretty watered down. Oh well, I guess it's stock for the masses hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownStang View Post
Didn't say it was a "fix-all", said that it "might" help as those who updated their Uconnect reported better sound quality. As you mentioned, it's better to start in stages, and in this case updating software is free...

Kicker vs. Infinity- I personally prefer Kicker. Installed their systems if several vehicles with good results. Best bang for the buck IMO.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:25 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Subscribing to this thread.

I'm looking for a better bass response, I like my bass sharp and not muddy. The Alpine system is just not up to snuff for me when it come to the bass. I have to play music louder than I like to get the bass going. I have the bass all the way up but wished the system had a loudness control.