DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:460
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

Where can you get these bulbs db.

I'd be interested in a set,if they're relatively easy to get.

I have Sylvania's in my 13 quad lights,they're a little better then stock,but not by much.

Not interested in projectors ,but a plug in bulb that's better then the Sylvania's interests me
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2013, 01:36 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Stone White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:100
dbuzz77 will become famous soon enoughdbuzz77 will become famous soon enough

the article really didn't say but i assume ebay or maybe ebay-uk. they didn't post the source because sources change.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:27 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Stone White
Rep:100
dbuzz77 will become famous soon enoughdbuzz77 will become famous soon enough

i was tol to try posting a link, here it is

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...osram+sylvania
Old 11-27-2013, 03:05 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

That thread is from 2006, over 7 years old, much has changed in the lighting industry since, if you go through the 23 pages of posts many of the links don't work anymore either, It still interesting information, and +50 bulbs have been out for a while, after reading about half the info from 06 to 2010, I still hold my personal opinion, a Halogen bulb can only put out so much Lumans per its efficiency, there is no magic wand here, color yes, better beam pattern, yes, but more Lumans at a detriment of what. Your ordinary bulb will put out X lumans for 2500-3500 hours, +50 bulbs may last only 300hrs, many of the links go dead due to the information being old, OSram released +90 night breakers in 07 and now they released the Night Breaker Unlimited,

here is Osram's current product line

http://www.osram.com/osram_com/produ...cars/index.jsp

Now there is much more information on these new bulbs being that the +50 is a 7 year old technology. But after looking again at reviews, and youtube video's on these super bulbs, My opinion stands, Halogen bulbs will be halogen bulbs and the more efficient they become, the less long they will last and the more expensive they will be, if these bulbs were the best thing since peanut butter, then why is all the high end vehicles running HID's and now the new tech is Ultra LED's with lenses

JMO

By the way, this is not an attach on any post in the thread, it information to help members see and read more information on the interests of this thread.

Last edited by Asur; 11-27-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:48 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RCSB Express
Rep:97
mikennrg will become famous soon enough

If you do go the HID route get projectors. Don't be one of those guys running them in a halogen housing.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Rep:10
DodgeV10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikennrg View Post
If you do go the HID route get projectors. Don't be one of those guys running them in a halogen housing.
Why not? And I do love all the comments everyone has! It looks like Osram is winning.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:40 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeV10 View Post
Why not? And I do love all the comments everyone has! It looks like Osram is winning.
This used to be a big issue a while back but is less so today, still what happens is that HID Bulbs are not created equal, some have the plasma ball located at a different distance to the base of the bulb than the filament of a halogen. Because the plasma bulb can be at a location other than how the reflector was created for and that the luminosity output of a HID bulb is much higher, it can cause flaring, this will create an issue for oncoming traffic. Today most good HID manufactures have recognized this small issue and now produce bulbs that are much more precise as to the location of the plasma bulb compared to its halogen counterpart. Still, due to the higher luminosity of the HID light, more so in 55watt systems, flaring can still occur, to remedy this people who install these kits in vehicles without projectors should lower the the beam direction by a few degrees, this helps in not blinding oncoming traffic. Ultimately the best scenario is to have Projector headlamps or have the current vehicle headlamps retrofitted with projectors.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:11 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcscott View Post
I read the results for each bulb listed in the article and they mention the test results being shown in (Bulb's Beam Rating). The best is 107.5 and the worst is 83.3 over a standard halogen bulb.

My question really is, what is (Bulb's Beam Rating) and measured with what? They didn't say from what I was able to find.

If the measurement is in (Lumens) 100 Lumens or equal to 100 candlepower is very little gain.

So in my opinion, from what I read, still comes down to the halogen bulbs change in glass and the filament used to get a different color of visible light (Kelvin).

High priced halogen bulbs for little gain.

JMO

Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuzz77 View Post
this is what i found. earlier in the article it says Osrams from overseas.

Osram Silverstars–
So now that you know the truth about the Sylvania Silverstars and all the BAD ideas with bulbs, its time to hear about the best bulbs you can buy. They are called the 55W Ultra High Efficacy Plus 50. These bulbs include the Narva Rangepower+50, Osram Silverstar, Tungsram Megalicht or Philips VisionPlus.

These bulbs produce the maximum amount of legal light and don’t have any coatings on the outside of the bulb.

- A standard bulb produces 1550 Lumens.
- A Plus +50 bulb produces 1750 lumens.

These bulbs are manufactured with the highest quality standards and are the best legal bulbs you can put into a car. I have these bulbs in my car, and I love them. They are the brightest bulbs I have used, and highly suggest these.
200-300 lumens of light is like adding the output of a standard backup light bulb to your headlight halogen bulb. Even with the 110% extra bright Osram bulbs that's all you get.

Greg

Old 11-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Rep:10
DodgeV10 is on a distinguished road

Ok. HID kits only with the projectors headlights. It looks like it would take some big money for a good set. One last question. Has anyone looked in to this set?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-KIT-900...7db1e6&vxp=mtr
Old 11-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Rep:163
bendodge has a spectacular aura aboutbendodge has a spectacular aura about

Retro Shop Dot us. He will install projectors for you or sell you the parts to do it yourself.He also has HID's and all necessary wiring to make them work and not fry your TIPM. Yes they are expensive but I do not regret spending that much money for something that works. He also provides great support and is very knowledgeable.