DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:460
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

LOL,been there/done that too as a broke kid many moons ago.
The stock muffler is junk as far as flow is concerned and most of the above posters are telling you to throw it away anyways,so why not experiment with it first,bonus is it doesn't cost anything but a little time.
If it doesn't pan out,you still have the option of another muffler or a piece of pipe down the road.

Follow the above advice about starting with only a few holes and adding more if need be,but i'd go for it.

Audio cut his old muffler open now that i think about it,he's got pic's somewhere,but look for a series of spot weld dimples towards the back of the muffler on it's bottom,and maybe drill the holes just before the dimples.
If i remember from Audio's pic's,i think the back wall is nothing more then a resonant chamber (dead air space).
I'll see if i can get him to dig up his pic's,they might help with the hole placement somewhat.

Last edited by Hornet; 11-22-2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Changed advice after remembering things
Sponsored links
Old 11-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 ram 1500
Trim Level: bighorn
Color: white
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
gatrucker06 is on a distinguished road

I weny to summit racing the other day they had a flowmastetr clone muffler there on sale for 19.50. And other types starting at 20 bucks .
If u take muffler off it will be stupid loud ie attracting unwanted attition from cops
Old 11-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1520
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebestestdrummer View Post
were there no pipes from the muffler delete back? Or was there a pipe replacing the muffler?
Pipes all the way back. You don't want to leave the pipes under the truck. You will smell exhaust constantly not mention being dangerous. Carbon dioxide poisoning is not a good way to go.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped Grille Inserts The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover
Old 11-22-2013, 03:00 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Color: Dark Red Cherry
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:201
audio1der has a spectacular aura aboutaudio1der has a spectacular aura aboutaudio1der has a spectacular aura about

When I was researching mufflers I found on pic on here somehwere showing a stock muffler cut open, and was SHCOKED at how restrictive it seemed.
When I removed mine I cut it open to have a look, and it didn't seem AS bad; I've heard the Sport/Laramie may have a different muffler but can't confirm.
Anyway, here she is partially opened up (I ran out of cutting discs, and threw it away after this)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muffler.jpg (107.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 11-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

from what you all have said, I thinnkkkk I'll wait until I have enough cash to potentially buy a new muffler, but before I do I'll play with it and see if I can get to to sound cool and if I mess it all up Ill just buy a new one. Either way I plan on beefing up the exhaust eventually, so it just has to hold me over until then.
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Old 11-23-2013, 11:38 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

FWIW the stock muffler actually flows pretty decent. It seems restrictive but that type of muffler is probably the best flowing for how much noise it muffles. I'd still go with a straight through type any day though.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:09 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3872
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiler View Post
I did it when I was your age... Since cash was tight I decided to drill 1/4' holes in the muffler one at a time until I got the sound just right. Drill a hole... drive around the block- open it up- back home to drill another hole. Repeat until you are happy.

I knew it was dumb and I knew I'd eventually ruin it with rust or whatever but I ran it for two years and was plenty happy with. I knew guys that were spending hundreds ... and mine sounded just as good and sometimes better that my buddies.

I live in California where the weather is friendly but even I knew to drill my holes on the low end to allow moisture to drain.

Have fun!
Oh yeah!... If you drill a few too many holes you can jam little "joints" of tightly wadded steel wool into the holes to make it a step quieter.
My actions and thoughts pretty much spot on.

Grub out!
Old 11-23-2013, 12:22 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Rep:512
shawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of light

I actually bought my 98 silverado 305 vortec str8 pipe under the cab..it was stupid loud inside and out.. you have to hold off a conversation untill i got up to speed lol. No lie.

I got a 8" cherry bomb glasspack on amazon for 25 bucks and added a tail pipe section from an older truck. Took it to the shop and the welded it all up and installed for 30 bucks. It sound and runs 100x better now and you can carry a conversation. Its still fairly loud but bareable. I like it.

Hope this helps!!

Id try this if your shops have a fair price. I coulda done a turndown for the same price...i have $55 in my whole setup. That includes a ~36" peice of pipe to make up the gap between glasspack and oem pipe, welds, glasspack and all.
12 RCSB Express- 5%Tint, Gatorhyde spray-in, Black OEM Tips, Plasti Dip badges and Interior, CBE muffler, Kenwood DDX370, Ks3.5s, Pioneer 6x9s, Sundown SA8v2, Kicker ZX750.1,BT 964SP, Smoked Tails, 'Dipped 22" Boss 329 on Falken 305/40s, and some LEDs...

RIP- 06 Ram NightRunner QC

Last edited by shawnu; 11-23-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:43 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Rep:512
shawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRam View Post
Pipes all the way back. You don't want to leave the pipes under the truck. You will smell exhaust constantly not mention being dangerous. Carbon dioxide poisoning is not a good way to go.
I wouldnt go that far with it. I have a couple truck dumped right after the muffler and a couple dumped after the axle, only one i smelled fumes at stop lights with the windows down, and it had the cats cut off.

Now right under the cab, and of you do alot of stop and go heavy traffic, i wouldnt recommend it. Been there done that. Its loud and yes, fumes are a problem.
12 RCSB Express- 5%Tint, Gatorhyde spray-in, Black OEM Tips, Plasti Dip badges and Interior, CBE muffler, Kenwood DDX370, Ks3.5s, Pioneer 6x9s, Sundown SA8v2, Kicker ZX750.1,BT 964SP, Smoked Tails, 'Dipped 22" Boss 329 on Falken 305/40s, and some LEDs...

RIP- 06 Ram NightRunner QC
Old 11-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Running Wide Open

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:988
Kamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to beholdKamanhart is a splendid one to behold

I havr to agree with giving it a shot, you aren't out anything since you are gunna replace it eventually might as well have fun... I jammed a big concrete chisel thru the outlet of my muffler in my 95 5.2 and it sounded pretty good
Engineering- The art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.